Bioware, accept responsibility for your crappy engine.

Dee-Jay

I was reading today's Q&A when I came across this question.

TheJestersHat: What is BioWare planning to do about performance issues that people get with Warzone, open world PVP, and general FPS issues?

Damion Schubert: We have an internal strike team that is fully devoted to ensuring that the game runs better and faster, especially on low end machines, and we consider this team's work to be a crucial internal initiative. You should see evidence of this work as soon as Patch 1.1.5, when we will be introducing a new 'very low' setting to shader quality, which should drastically increase the number of mid-to-low machines the game can run well on, especially in Warzones and Operations.

Now let me preface this by saying it's good that Bioware is paying attention to this issue and dedicated to solving it.

But let me make one thing clear. The poor performance of SWTOR on many low and high-end systems is almost entirely due to poor programming and resource allocation by the HERO engine. Bioware, please stop blaming poor performance on players client machines when the engine you chose to host SWTOR clearly isn't up to the job.

If I can play the single-player campaign @ max. detail above 40 FPS and yet my FPS drop below 20, even at the lowest possible settings in a Warzone (especially Alderaan) then the fault isn't with my hardware, it's with your engine.

Addressing performance issues isn't about making SWTOR run on "even cheaper computers", it's about fixing that damn mess of a code you guys call your engine and turning into something worthy of the most expensive video game ever made.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know as well as I do that they will not admit they made the wrong decision with this engine.

I don't get these issues, if that helps.

You are lower than level 50 or never been to ilum or on a dead server is my guess?

I am on dual 5870s with an i5 OC + 8 gigs of ram.. I lag like crap in ilum in big battles. Any other game I am 60fps+

Edited by JonnyLoveMachine

I dont even understand completly what a game engine is, neither does the OP.

Game plays fine on my machine

Game engine, " Dev " , "Mem Leak " on and on and on.

These any many other dangerous terms have given rise to an army of pseudo-programmers who , armed with a few loosely understood terms, take to the forums where they can pretend to have a coherent discussion about these and many other topics they dont understand.

Its NOT the engine. Its just your PC. Look at the recomended requirements and check. Dont just say "I EXCEED recomended." Literally research your PC's specs, and check how it compares to the recomended. I've seen people hit 140-160 FPS on max in open world, but they capped it at 60 so it didnt constantly drop. In PVP they didnt drop 60 FPS on MAX AT ALL.

I completely agree with everything you said...

I don't see how they hope to fix anything by adding a very low shader setting... that will only help people with out-of-date VGAs...

My HD6970 is handling every other game out there with absolutely no problems. SwTOR runs fine for the most part... but when i get to PvP i'm anywhere between 20 and 25 FPS. And changing any of the GFX setting doesn't really help.

I only see an FPS boost to around 40-50 FPS in PvP when i'm recording with Fraps :confused:..

And obviously i don't want to do that every time i play a WZ since it eats up space like hell + it's annoying and i shouldn't really be forced to do that to have an acceptable FPS in this game.

The way i see it - They can only do so much with this piece of **** engine/coding. They will most probably do a complete engine makeover for the next expansion like WoW did... Until then, i will have probably forgotten this game :/

All the people that complain the game isn't doing well...

it is your machine. If it was the engine, EVERYBODY would be having issues and there wouldn't be one sub in the whole world. It is only the people that have issues with their computer that come on and moan about everything because they don't want to accept that it is their machines that are the problem so what's human..what's natural. They blame it on the game!

All the people that complain the game isn't doing well...

it is your machine. If it was the engine, EVERYBODY would be having issues and there wouldn't be one sub in the whole world. It is only the people that have issues with their computer that come on and moan about everything because they don't want to accept that it is their machines that are the problem so what's human..what's natural. They blame it on the game!

So, I can max bf3, crysis 2 and pretty much everything else and get a stable 60 fps minimum, but when there is heavy action on ilum going on, I get 3 fps.

YES IT'S MY PC

Also, if you are claming that you "have a pentium 4, and that your fps never drops below 30", screenshot from ilum zerging or didn't happen.

Edited by Eszi

I dont even understand completly what a game engine is, neither does the OP.

Game plays fine on my machine

Game engine, " Dev " , "Mem Leak " on and on and on.

These any many other dangerous terms have given rise to an army of pseudo-programmers who , armed with a few loosely understood terms, take to the forums where they can pretend to have a coherent discussion about these and many other topics they dont understand.

A game engine is the foundation of the game. It creates all the animation coding, texture coding, etc coding, all the time. And your CPU writes all the code.

Its NOT the engine. Its just your PC. Look at the recomended requirements and check. Dont just say "I EXCEED recomended." Literally research your PC's specs, and check how it compares to the recomended. I've seen people hit 140-160 FPS on max in open world, but they capped it at 60 so it didnt constantly drop. In PVP they didnt drop 60 FPS on MAX AT ALL.

Right...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvu699u_6aU

thre 100s of things i can be, random code thta does not like one peice fo you set up, internet issues, bois updates for mobo,graphics cards, etc.

as someone pointed out if it was teh core Hero it should be happening to everyone, at teh same time.

a sample, a player talks to NPC X, and causes a games fps to drop to 10, now if 1000 poeple do it and it only happends to let say 10, there it more likely those 10 have a factor the commond to them, vs that other 990. it be software,hardware,driver,os, reg file, etc. something they have would be causing the issues.

as of now BW tkaing in the information fo teh reports and try to find what causing the problem, once this figure out and tested so tehy know for sure, tehy can then fix,patch or put out information."to all swtor players graphics card chip set X hasa issues due to it design so if you have one tehre mgiht be a 20% drop in preformance vs other cards, we are working to improve and fix this issue" as a exsample.

i kepe a fairly lvl 90-120 normal game play, as i y to finished my class stroy and my codex filling i yet to reach illuim, that be coming soon.

Edited by DarkCarnage

i7 12G RAM GTX 580 3G edition on a Rampage III MB and even I lag on Ilum and WZ when people are clustered together.

Who ever says they dont have fps issues in pvp are straight up lying or they dont know what fps drops look like.

i7 12G RAM GTX 580 3G edition on a Rampage III MB and even I lag on Ilum and WZ when people are clustered together.

Who ever says they dont have fps issues in pvp are straight up lying or they dont know what fps drops look like.

You fail, you think that because of your particular high end PC having issues... ALL PCs below it must have these issues?

You must be new.

He didnt post his system specs genius. Go ahead, make my day.

What are you trying to prove? That they still haven't fixed it? Because that was not "smooth". Just look at 0:40 - 1:20. Was it better than the video I posted? Sure, but it was also less players and less effects.