MMO creation 101

kufa

Voice acting, lifelike characters with personality, Control over that personality, complete story line that literally pushes the "killing boars" to a vague peripheral.

Are people playing the same game that I am? LOL

I thought I was supposed to kill 10 boars then get 5 wolf tails and 6 bear claws. What game are we playing again? :confused:

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I was supposed to kill 10 boars then get 5 wolf tails and 6 bear claws. What game are we playing again? :confused:

Sounds pretty much like my experience with ToR leveling except, boar, wolf tails and claws were replaces by X. I skipped the cut scenes just like i skipped quest logs in WoW. Apart of how quests are given, there aint anything different and the choices you make on the way doesnt have an real impact to anything at the end.

Edited by Forsbacka

Cool. I appreciate the follow up posts and your taking the time to lay that out explicitly.

I can't say I disagree with the use of the term in this context, but in a more general way I think it's problematic.

While not everyone is privy to internal politics and resource limitions during the development of, well, anything and in that sense criticizing it is bad form ... That also makes zero sense in casual conversations and on Internet forums.

I mean, carried to a logical conclusion, I can be labeled and dismissed as an "armchair dev" for criticizing anything in this game.

If that's the case, what are we trying to discuss on these boards? In short, this kind of dismissal and labeling limits any kind of discussion.

If I'm a creative pro with half an ounce of sense, then I've got to realize that good ideas can come from anywhere. Granted, most ideas here wouldn't be practical to implement in any game, regardless of scope or budget. But does the mean de facto turning your back on them?

If the OP had presented his opinion as just that, people would be much more receptive. However, he came on here waving it around like it's direct from God, and proclaiming that what he says is the truth.

It's one thing to say "I don't like what BioWare did here, and here's why." It's something else to say "BioWare did it wrong because it wasn't like this!"

I'd also like to add that he labeled his post as "MMO creation 101". So, really, I think that was the first strike right there.

Edited by Kaskava

Sounds pretty much like my experience with ToR leveling except, boar, wolf tails and claws were replaces by X. I skipped the cut scenes just like i skipped quest logs in WoW. Apart of how quests are given, there aint anything different and the choices you make on the way doesnt have an real impact to anything at the end.

So, you skipped about half (if no more) of what made makes TOR different, because you didn't like a few intro quests?

So, you skipped about half (if no more) of what made makes TOR different, because you didn't like a few intro quests?

IM not really interestf of lore or background story, thats why i skipped quest logs in WoW and thats why i skipepd quest lo.. sorry cut scenes in ToR. I was just saying that quests emself was pretty much same with WoW quests.

IM not really interestf of lore or background story, thats why i skipped quest logs in WoW and thats why i skipepd quest lo.. sorry cut scenes in ToR. I was just saying that quests emself was pretty much same with WoW quests.

Yes, the objectives are. However, if you're not interested in the story, I wouldn't think this is a game you would want to invest time and money in.

Yes, the objectives are. However, if you're not interested in the story, I wouldn't think this is a game you would want to invest time and money in.

I was more intrested of what it has to offer at max level where most gamers will be spending biggest chunk of their time eventually in this game and in other games of this genre. Anyway, its how i roll and i understand this was marketed as story driven mmo and im fine with that and fine with people that enjoys it. I was just commenting on the questing part in general to the dude that trashtalked wow quests beeing only collect/kill/pick amount of x when quests emself are exactly the same here, just presented different way.

Edited by Forsbacka

I was more intrested of what it has to offer at max level where most gamers will be spending biggest chunk of their time eventually in this game and in other games of this genre. Anyway, its how i roll and i understand this was marketed as story driven mmo and im fine with that and fine with people that enjoys it. I was just commenting on the questing part in general to the dude that trashtalked wow quests beeing only collect/kill/pick amount of x when quests emself are exactly the same here, just presented different way.

For me, it's that presentation that made it fun again.

If, as you said, you aren't the kind of person that's too interested, I could see why you wouldn't have much interest in the game. You might like Planet Side 2, though.