Problem with crit crafting orange gear and removing purple mods.

Gidoru

Georg Zoeller: Absolutely. With the upcoming Game Update 1.2, we are adding endgame crafting for all professions. This includes augment crafting, the ability to crit-craft custom (orange) gear with augment slots, new endgame schematics, new color crystals, expanded and improved research and reverse engineering and much more (we're up to 4 pages of crew skill related patch notes in 1.2. alone)

Combined with new features such as the ability to extract base-mods from purple items (including the set bonus) and the improved color matching feature, crafters of all professions will find themselves in a lot of demand once the update hits

So, correct me if im wrong, but dont these changes essentially make orange crafted gear the best in the game? Why bother with my PvP or PvE gear when i can i just remove all the mods and set bonus, and put them in a piece of orange gear that now also has an augment slot for extra stats? In fact, why bother having PvP or PvE gear at all then? You might as well just give people a set of mods instead of a piece of gear, because EVERYONE that is atleast semi interested in min/maxing will be using orange gear.

I thought the goal was to make Crafting viable and competitive not make it the best gear. If this is indeed the case i find this an extremely stupid change. Quite frankly while i am not one to come to the forums throwing around threats should this indeed be the case i have no intention of renewing my subscription.

Edited by Gidoru

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I have your gear please? On the true note, I find it kind of silly as well but nothing worth raging the forums about cancelling my sub. Besides they haven't even released the full details yet, so how can you assume that is going to happen 100% ?

Well for one you need the PVP-PVE items to get the mods in the first place, but yes, you have a valid point there. Maybe they want to revive the crafting system that way? Albeit just for the armor crafters.

This. To get the mods to remove in the first place. To get the set bonuses. With TOR's gear system, the items themselves never really mattered, it was always about the mods. This is just extending that to endgame gear.

This. To get the mods to remove in the first place. To get the set bonuses. With TOR's gear system, the items themselves never really mattered, it was always about the mods. This is just extending that to endgame gear.

So again, why bother giving you a piece of gear at all if it will always be inferior to a piece of crafted gear? I dont see why making crafting viable should entail making it the absolute best every time.

Its seems like quite a cumbersome and poorly thought out system in which everytime i get a new piece of gear i basically just remove all of its stats and transfer it to another piece of gear because its always the better choice.

Can I have your gear please? On the true note, I find it kind of silly as well but nothing worth raging the forums about cancelling my sub. Besides they haven't even released the full details yet, so how can you assume that is going to happen 100% ?

Dont you mean can you have my mods? Because apparently anything other than orange gear is going to be worthless.

So again, why bother giving you a piece of gear at all if it will always be inferior to a piece of crafted gear? I dont see why making crafting viable should entail making it the absolute best every time.

Its seems like quite a cumbersome and poorly thought out system in which everytime i get a new piece of gear i basically just remove all of its stats and transfer it to another piece of gear because its always the better choice.

1) You still need to get the gear to get the mods. Some people may still prefer the look of the gear. Essentially, this just makes it so ALL gear is mod gear. Pick what you like the look of.

2)It is expensive to remove purple mods. Money sink.

3)Because people QQ'd on the forums.

4)It doesn't make orange BEST, it makes it equal.

Edited by Koalachan

Because it costs money to remove the mods , hence it's a money sink, which SWTOR desperately needs.

Exactly. If they make this change, dropping weapons/armor is a just a money sink for players that are going to remove the mods because the armor/weapon itself is garbage without an augment slot.

1) You still need to get the gear to get the mods. Some people may still prefer the look of the gear. Essentially, this just makes it so ALL gear is mod gear. Pick what you like the look of.

2)It is expensive to remove purple mods. Money sink.

3)Because people QQ'd on the forums.

4)It doesn't make orange BEST, it makes it equal.

1. Except you dont pick which look you like best, because the orange gear will have extra stats every time due to having an additional mod slot in the form of an augment slot.

2. And this is the only possible way to add in a money sink? I think not.

4. See 1. Orange crafted gear = extra slot = extra stats = best gear.

Edited by Gidoru

1. Except you dont pick which look you like best, because the orange gear will have extra stats every time due to having an additional mod slot in the form of an augment slot.

I guess you skipped over the other part of what the dev said. He said they are adding in better craftable gear to compete with the best stuff out. So that gear may be just as good if not better than orange gear with augments.

Edited by iResist

I guess you skipped over the other part of what the dev said. He said they are adding in better craftable gear to compete with the best stuff out. So that gear may be just as good if not better than orange gear with augments.

Ok, so crafted gear is still the best gear? I thought that was the problem i was trying to bring up? It doesnt matter if it is purple or orange, crafted gear should be comparable to PvE/PvP gear, not significantly better.

Edited by Gidoru

Ok, so crafted gear is still the best gear? I thought that was the problem i was trying to bring up? It doesnt matter where it is purple or orange, crafted gear should be comparable to PvE/PvP gear, not significantly better.

Crafted gear should be the best gear. You already have to raid for the mods, the materials to craft the armor, and (in some cases) the schematic itself. And after all that, it's still not better unless you get lucky with a crit craft (which, for the record, is an astronomically low chance to begin with).

If crafted gear, after all that effort, time, and money doesn't produce something better than raid gear, then there's no point in taking the craft to begin with.

Of course, raids are so laughably easy that the idea of striving for this level of optimization to begin with is absurd.

Edited by Greyfeld

Ok, so crafted gear is still the best gear? I thought that was the problem i was trying to bring up? It doesnt matter if it is purple or orange, crafted gear should be comparable to PvE/PvP gear, not significantly better.

You also do realize they are adding in flashpoint/operation content in that patch? Who knows what gear that will have.

Also, if you ask all the crafters, they will say that they are the ones that SHOULD be making the best gear in the game to keep the economy thriving.

Edited by iResist

Georg Zoeller: Absolutely. With the upcoming Game Update 1.2, we are adding endgame crafting for all professions. This includes augment crafting, the ability to crit-craft custom (orange) gear with augment slots, new endgame schematics, new color crystals, expanded and improved research and reverse engineering and much more (we're up to 4 pages of crew skill related patch notes in 1.2. alone)

Combined with new features such as the ability to extract base-mods from purple items (including the set bonus) and the improved color matching feature, crafters of all professions will find themselves in a lot of demand once the update hits

So, correct me if im wrong, but dont these changes essentially make orange crafted gear the best in the game? Why bother with my PvP or PvE gear when i can i just remove all the mods and set bonus, and put them in a piece of orange gear that now also has an augment slot for extra stats? In fact, why bother having PvP or PvE gear at all then? You might as well just give people a set of mods instead of a piece of gear, because EVERYONE that is atleast semi interested in min/maxing will be using orange gear.

I thought the goal was to make Crafting viable and competitive not make it the best gear. If this is indeed the case i find this an extremely stupid change. Quite frankly while i am not one to come to the forums throwing around threats should this indeed be the case i have no intention of renewing my subscription.

Its creating a reason to do, work with, and buy both. Nice change actually.

Why not? What rule or doctrine out there says its supposed to be (not) that way?

Why not? What rule or doctrine out there says its supposed to be (not) that way?

For the exact same reason that crafting in its current form requires improvement? Because MMOs are based around aquiring gear traditionally through 3 different means, crafting pvp and pve, and making one vastly superior to the others deincentivizes participation in the other two.

Because clearly a MMO should strive towards a balance between different type of activities and the rewards that they offer in order to appeal to a wide range of people. Making one end all be all activity the absolute best does not have a broad appeal.

Wow dude....wow...just wow.

You DO realize that in order to equip orange gear with mods that you will have to first OBTAIN the mod/set bonus right?

Meaning you STILL will have to work on getting PvE/PvP gear in order to equip said orange items. Think of orange gear as a way to improve the PvE/PvP set you already obtained...

You're actually complaining about variety? Run a raid or a pvp match....everyone looks the same and to make things worse we are wearing the ugliest gear ever created in an MMO.

It's sad when level 1-49 pvp brackets have players looking more "epic" than the level 50.

But it doesn't make it the best gear.

The mods you took from the best gear are what make the orange modded gear the best gear.

Honestly whats the difference in you running a OP's for a purple piece of gear, and running an ops for a purple piece of gear that has the mods you need for the same exact stats?

There really isn't one except the fact that it looks different and has an augment slot.

Raids are still needed you still have to get the mods, and no crafting is actually something that is going to be in full swing because people want that augment slot.

So they basically made it win win.

Crafters win because they can now craft gear that actually means something (augment) and sell them/use them.

And raiders will need to raid for the mod's to put in the gear so its a PVE win as well.

Or did you somehow think that the orange crafted gear magically came with all the slots premodded.... and really have no clue how the system would even work?

TBH this thread is pretty ignorant.

Edited by alexmda

And whats wrong with that?

Why cant you accept an idea thats different

Raid + crafted gear = best gear

Is it a hard concept?

Do you think the best gear should be raid gear which is pretty easy content at the moment with high drop rates?

Personnally I welcome it.

Will give me something to do crafting wise and keep me busy getting mods in op's.

I'd rather they made it possible to craft something that would ADD an argument slot to any orange gear.

Would be much better.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.