This whole "server" thing is so 90s

NevesNET

The whole pick your server and play on that server only is so antiquated. Honestly, it's 2012, can't we have a server cluster running the game and new shards are made available depending on simultaneous population? Why can't I play with the rest of the world, the same game on the SAME server farm?

once you start playing you will find that is not the only antiquated thing in this game.

a couple things off the top of my head..

you cant make hair and eyebrow color match.

you dont leave footprints when walking in soft terrain.

...and this is supposed to be a 300 million dollar game, lol, right... and if you buy that line i have some nice property to sell you in florida, and a bridge too!

Edited by -Fritz-

Never thought of this but sounds cool. I guess you have logistical issues though, like EU and US players. I wouldn't want to log into servers that are in the US as latency would be an issue, id want servers local to my location there would be latencey with the EU and US servers trying to merge all of those people into the same world.

Would certainly be cool to have all EU players in the same farm tho.

I think BW would also need to increase the size of the world too, or it would feel overcrowded.

Edited by smexymage

The whole pick your server and play on that server only is so antiquated. Honestly, it's 2012, can't we have a server cluster running the game and new shards are made available depending on simultaneous population? Why can't I play with the rest of the world, the same game on the SAME server farm?

Let's use that estimate of 1.7 million subscriptions.

Let's say you're on the republic fleet one night, and let's figure of those ~800,000 republic players, that 50,000 are on the fleet.

How is that broken up? are there 5,000 instances of the fleet? How do I find a group? Is chat cross-instance? Or is it only in my local instance? What if no one from my instance wants to do what I want? Do I start swapping instances looking for people?

If I'm dealing with everyone that plays republic at one time -- how do I ever remember anyone? The way things are now, when I get into a warzone, I might run into one of my buddies, or a player I think is very good. If it were that way, I'd probably never see the same player twice.

How are you supposed to get a reputation if you play with everyone? Sure, some people will know you, but out of all the players? You could be a total jerk, and you'd never feel the repercussions from it, because you'd probably never see the handful of people you've pissed off again. With smaller, individual communities, there's less of the sense of anonymity, and therefore a larger social pressure for you to not be a total jerk.

Big one-world games work for some MMO archetypes (a la Eve), but I'd argue heavily that it doesn't work for one of this style.

Let's use that estimate of 1.7 million subscriptions.

Let's say you're on the republic fleet one night, and let's figure of those ~800,000 republic players, that 50,000 are on the fleet.

How is that broken up? are there 5,000 instances of the fleet? How do I find a group? Is chat cross-instance? Or is it only in my local instance? What if no one from my instance wants to do what I want? Do I start swapping instances looking for people?

If I'm dealing with everyone that plays republic at one time -- how do I ever remember anyone? The way things are now, when I get into a warzone, I might run into one of my buddies, or a player I think is very good. If it were that way, I'd probably never see the same player twice.

How are you supposed to get a reputation if you play with everyone? Sure, some people will know you, but out of all the players? You could be a total jerk, and you'd never feel the repercussions from it, because you'd probably never see the handful of people you've pissed off again. With smaller, individual communities, there's less of the sense of anonymity, and therefore a larger social pressure for you to not be a total jerk.

Big one-world games work for some MMO archetypes (a la Eve), but I'd argue heavily that it doesn't work for one of this style.

go look at champions online or DCUO.

they both have server clusters with the entire playerbase able to play together.

it works fine there too.

oh and dont forget about guild wars

GW1 and EVE both do this today and while EVE never hit the population levels of SWTOR, GW1 certainly did.

but what i remeber of gw1 is that only town like this the rest of the wrold is isntanced. so never see anyone unless aprty with them, this would lead to a even empityer feel as be no PC's players aroudn jsut a few NPC's

...and this is supposed to be a 300 million dollar game, lol, right... and if you buy that line i have some nice property to sell you in florida, and a bridge too!

The $300 million never came from EA or Bioware, so it was never an official number, it was guestamations given by "experts" on the interent. The only official number we ever got was they spent 92 million in March of 2011, so the chances are the $300 million is way higher then reality. And even if $300 million was true, chances are much of that was spent on Marketing. Heck, EAs war game FPS got them 10 million to make but they spent something like $150 million on marketing.

go look at champions online or DCUO.

they both have server clusters with the entire playerbase able to play together.

it works fine there too.

oh and dont forget about guild wars

I played Champions Online. I'd hardly say it "works fine" (this is all my opinion, as much as it working fine is your own). Albeit I stopped playing for numerous reasons, among them was that there was no sense of community. I hardly ran into people I recognized. Everything felt very disconnected.

Just pretend it's called "cloud" and you'll feel better. I know Marketers sure do. :)

If I had a nickel for every time I heard a manager use this word or any other word or acronym like it, well, I wouldn't be going to "pre-meeting meetings are pre-meeting" anymore. :p

Yeah totally, i know its alot of fun having the 3-4 ppl now fighting over a quest objective...imagine the fun if it were 300-400 at once! And personally, i was just saying the other day how i didnt have any lag till i hit the imp fleet with 300+ on it....how awesome would my lag be with 300,000!

What a gerat idea!

Edited by TKMaster

Honest question:

I've seen this single server multi sharding system work fantastically in little micro successful by the skin of their teeth MMO's with no more than 100,000 players total spread around all the world's time zones

But could this one server system work with over a million or more players? Honest question, IT is not my specialty.

What if there's a malfunction that could probably shut down one server in this single server system it would shut down the entire game no?

Frankly if it would work I'd prefer the single server system. I just don't know it could in a game of over 300,000.

The game engine is complete garbage, it's like it can't handle more than a few people on-screen at the same time, which is just plain sad considering this is an MMO, i say rebuild the game using Unreal Engine or something that actually works, at least that way the game will feel more like an MMO. Edited by PeacefulViolence

Honest question:

I've seen this single server multi sharding system work fantastically in little micro successful by the skin of their teeth MMO's with no more than 100,000 players total spread around all the world's time zones

But could this one server system work with over a million or more players? Honest question, IT is not my specialty.

What if there's a malfunction that could probably shut down one server in this single server system it would shut down the entire game no?

Frankly if it would work I'd prefer the single server system. I just don't know it could in a game of over 300,000.

what if a plane falls out of the sky and lands on your house?

they should probably give up on planes.

People throwing out that silly 1.7 number need to break it down more, for instance

NA:

PvP Sever

PvE Server

Roleplaying Server

Euro:

English

French

German

Russian (Or whatever other servers they have now)

Oceanic:

English

Chinese

etc.

This was doable and the game would have been better for it.

The game engine is complete garbage, it's like it can't handle more than a few people on-screen at the same time, which is just plain sad considering this is an MMO, i say rebuild the game using Unreal Engine or something that actually works, at least that way the game will feel more like an MMO.

I'd suggest you 1st rebuild your garbage Wal-Mart PC.

Yeah, we should just be able to pick a server and play on it at any time. Keep the character information database separate, and the server in which you login can just pull from it. So we can just play on whatever server we want. It would make server maintenance/crashes much easier to deal with...

In addition to the social issues mentioned above there are also the issues of stability and what I'd like to call "crowd control".

At is it now, if one server crashes (which astonishingly is a rare event), it's just that server and the rest of the world doesn't even notice. If it is a cloud the probability of a server crash having an impact on the rest is much greater I suppose.

Web server farms can do that, because the requests themselves are stateless and sessions may be hosted on a session server, but in a game environment I doubt it would work well.

Another problem may arise if you have a battle going on between the two factions (e.g. on Ilum) and word gets out and suddenly hundreds or more players try to switch instances in order to participate. The only solutions I can think of to avoid that would be queues or not allowing to switch instances once a certain limit on the target instance is reached.

I would not be suprised to see hundreds of new forums posts like "Bioware, please raise the instance cap, because I want to participate in world PvP and not be stuck in a queue again." (Obviously in a less polite manner, though.)

The game engine is complete garbage, it's like it can't handle more than a few people on-screen at the same time, which is just plain sad considering this is an MMO, i say rebuild the game using Unreal Engine or something that actually works, at least that way the game will feel more like an MMO.

I was in the fleet last night and there were 280 people. The engine or my machine or both slowed when a ton of people (probably 60+) were on the screen at once. A lot of the "engine" issues are simply with peoples crap computers. I just got a new Asus laptop for 1300 off newegg and all that "engine" slowness went away.

Sure there is always engine/coding optimizations to be made and SWTOR is far from perfect in that regard, but most QQ is simply because people have crap computers trying to run the game at 1920x1080 with everything on high.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.