Next Gen MMO? Please, hear me out.

ITSAmeee

What is not helping about separating WoW from TOR is that both use exactly the same default setup.

It's really uncanny when after doing some dungeons in WoW, using /p and /g to alternate party chat and guild chat, you do exactly the same thing in TOR.

No use reinventing something thats been an MMO standard since before wow ;)

Your entire section on talents is misleading, sure in someways you are correct the present talent system it doesn't offer choice it offers the illusion of choice. No reasonable player is not going to take increases str/will/aim/x by 3/6/9% if they are dps, this means that there will always be mathematically optimal 'cookie cutter' specs which most people will use and hence illusion of choice.

However all blizzard is doing in mists is rolling most of the cookie cutter talents into the basic spec (ie a frost dk will always have Killing machine proc) and instead giving you a series of forgone conclusions (an arcane mage is going to choose arcane bomb really who would have thought), meaningless utility or QoL abilities which won't be used in combat (and while cool for a while won't impact combat at all) or a bunch of pvp abilities to pick from.

So instead of giving you the illusion of choice they're either still giving you the illusion (wow unholy dk's mastery affects shadow damage i wonder which spec is going to take life siphon) making the choice either superfluous or using it as a vehicle for giving you pvp options.

Tell me which is worse

(The new talent system will really help leveling a spriest because you won't be going oom every fight for 70 levels >_>)

What is not helping about separating WoW from TOR is that both use exactly the same default setup.

It's really uncanny when after doing some dungeons in WoW, using /p and /g to alternate party chat and guild chat, you do exactly the same thing in TOR.

yes isntead lets use abbreviations that make no sense at all solely for the sake of distinguishing yourself from a game that took those abbrevations from another game to begin with......

I stand corrected for raids.

My point is, the game struggle to not look like a WoW in space, and it's the the basic commands that help.

No it doesn't

the game is in english, so an Inventory will be opened with an I, your Character sheet will be opened with a C. WoW did not invent these words, it wasnt even the first game to use those abbreviations,

the abbreviations are there because they make sense.......

Edited by Rayvhen

Why C for for your gear is more obvious than, say, F10 ? Or G ?

c is not for gear but for character sheet........

it shows your stats, gear light/dark ratio, all sorts of information, and not gear.

seriously though you really are making such a big deal out of something so trivial and stupid.

if it bothers you so much just change your keybindings, so you can open your gear by pressing g, or whatever letter/number or even combination you'd like, the game has that option you know.....

I actually prefer that they take the best ideas from WOW and expand on them. There is a reason WOW has had 7mil registered accounts come through its door.

I am glad I was not in beta, because it probably wouldn't be the same experience this will be.

Also saying a COMPANY is one way and never another is pushing it. I hear a lot of people saying BioWare is not this or that. But in the end, anyone can achieve something if they put effort into it, but will achieve nothing if they never try.

Looking at a majority of reviews on other sites, player feedback and the huge amount of beta players going on to sub for this game including OP. Obviously BW has done something right.

Sorry, but I have had to much elves, gnomes, etc.

The fact that a company is able to put this much money and work into an MMO, I mean cmon, the game is completely voiced over? An MMO? Super awesome musical score? It's Star-Wars that most americans grew up with?

IMO Thank you BioWare, this would not be the same game without you.

Edited by Burningcoals

New things that were added:

Cover system (amazing system)

Companion system (revamped pet system)

Making story actually matter (no one has done this in ages)

Combat system, its similar to some of the others, but personally I think its a lot better than other systems. The lack of auto attack makes you actually have to pay attention.

I disagree with the talent system. WoW's new system, and a lot of the other new systems are just too dumbed down. I'd rather have some complexity to allow for multiple specs, instead of everybody of the same class using the same exact builds.

LFG tool, an on server one I'm for, cross server ones have been shown to absolutely destroy a community. Personally I'd rather have a community. Yes its more work, but its worth it imo

No this game isn't breaking the mold and innovating everything, and games that do do that tend to fail pretty harshly.

some interesting post. I already wrote a lot so I will try to keep it short :)

The Next Gen thing I got it from randoms forums, blogs, websites, game communities and that kind of stuff. That's why I used the term Next Gen so much in my post, and that's also why I was expecting Next Gen mechanics in the game. I was just a little bit disappointed of finding out that the only Next Gen feature, the way I see it, was Questing.

Obviously it is not a small deal, it is absolutely a big one as I wrote in my first post, but not enough for me to define SWTOR as a Next Gen MMO (that yes I'm still waiting) and that apparently I was erroneously believing it would be.

By the way, the fact that I'm writing it today it doesn't mean I find it out at my first login, I already know it was like this. This was a given right?

Also, the fact that it is similar to other MMO out there, that's ok for me. I was simply expecting more "new stuff" (again, more Next Gen if you want) and as someone said at least couple more old features from others MMO that I don't see why should be missing in any MMO released today, or since those features were introduced, with success, in other ones on the marked.

Talent wise, as someone said this talent system has been out there for so long now. Don't you want to call it "rotting2? that's fine, but I guess we can agree that MMO and their content has expanded and changed so much. The community has evolved too, in fact many changes introduced to other MMOs comes from the community feedback and their needs so to let them enjoy all the new different content that a system like this is not adequate to anymore.

No one is saying that an hypothetical talent system shouldn't allow player choices and hybrids build, if nothing else it should be designed to empower such things...and we want to think the three-trees-talent points system is the way to stay?

I wrote in my post why I think Rift allowed players to have 3 talent builds (or was it 4-5?) with this talent system in place, and I'm curious why you think they were wrong and that this system (with only 1 build too) is instead the better way?

Then of course, if we are happy with SWTOR to be just another MMO, similar to all the others on the market with in addition the SW universe/lore and a great storytelling and questing mechanics, then we can all agree they did a superb job and we couldn't ask for better really.

I sure will be sticking around for long time to come, but with some bitterness in me that's all :)

Terrible absolutely terrible. The world as we know it is over and done with. This guy is completely right and we should all think so as well obviously.

get your heads on lads we need to prepare for the end of the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOO ARMS MEN!!! :wea_07::wea_13::wea_05::wea_03::wea_01: