Best storyline for Republic?

AngrySoviet

I want some opinions from people who have multiple Republic characters.

So far I honestly think Smuggler is the best. the whole element of betrayal, the fact that you're a smooth talking space cowboy, and the face that I'm an obsessive Firefly fan (which is also a space western) all really make me enjoy the Smuggler storyline.

So far Consular and Jedi Knight seem kind of a bland boring hero story to me, but I haven't advanced too far into those stories. Maybe they get better later on, but so far the Smug is my favorite.

I leveled with a JK friend, so while I did miss a few ship scenes and such, I experienced the majority of the fights and dialogues. I personally thought the first portion of the smuggler story (pre-ship) was really awesome and motivating, but the whole deal with Risha and the hidden treasure was a bit...forced. That's not to say it wasn't good, it just seemed to come from nowhere. The privateer business seemed to be a bit lacking on backstory as well, but it was better.

The JK storyline just felt significantly more...epic. By the time we got to Corellia I really enjoyed seeing all the Jedi you save/meet along the way make their appearance in preparation for some overplayed big battle. I almost felt like I just wanted to finish my story to get it out of the way and so I could enjoy seeing how my friend's unfolded (not that any storyline seems to have any huge plot twists you don't see coming).

As a JC i thought the story was pretty good, but its secondary to the JK stories. You feel important in both, but as a JC you begin to feel like a tool of the JC.

After I played the JC i moved to the JK - wow such a difference. Miss Shan and I were having personal conversations were as a JC we i doubt she knew i existed.

my point - both stories are good you'll want to see whats next. The JC healer companion is utterly annoying and can stunt your game play while the JK companions are just as well written as its story.

Having played a Smuggler, no class can compare. Sadly, it being my main means that every class is now boring and bland compared to it.

Consular story = "Oh no! Master why are you dying?!?! I wills save you!! *Figures out how to save master* Yay she is saved! Wait? Oh noes! Other masters are sick to, I must go and sacrifice all my strength to save them. (All of act 1)

(Act 2) -I have only played half way through this part so I can only comment on what Ive seen. - "Cry baby senators threatening to withdraw from the Republic. You are sent to be there lackey and fix every little problem they have.

While it's not horrible, Its no where close to the Smuggler story. I still enjoy it - but Im not aching to play with this class like I did with my Smuggler

IMO, the smuggler story lacked a lot of impact - sure, you're just a guy/gal with a ship, but while the Jedi and grunts are killing off key figures, you're... chasing treasure? I guess later you get to be an underworld kingpin, but when you see no tangible evidence of your riches and illegal glory, it doesn't work out as a story device.

What the smuggler lacks in epic story though, it makes up in epic moments of win. Tons of them. I think my favorite still is when the smug is delivering the robot to Aldaraan, casually leans against it, and then learns what's inside it.

Smugs do a lot of leaning, and when they do, it's awesome, because none of the other republic guys lean.

The best story moment though, is still the end of Act 2 for Jedi Knights (even if the whole thing was written as a fanboy pleaser)

Edited by JeyKama

I want some opinions from people who have multiple Republic characters.

So far I honestly think Smuggler is the best. the whole element of betrayal, the fact that you're a smooth talking space cowboy, and the face that I'm an obsessive Firefly fan (which is also a space western) all really make me enjoy the Smuggler storyline.

So far Consular and Jedi Knight seem kind of a bland boring hero story to me, but I haven't advanced too far into those stories. Maybe they get better later on, but so far the Smug is my favorite.

I loved it at first, but then suddenly we're questing after buried treasure and I was like, "***?" Killed my enjoyment of the class, tbh. I want to be part of the galaxy, not off looking for buried treasure.

Edited by RobNightfall

I leveled with a JK friend, so while I did miss a few ship scenes and such, I experienced the majority of the fights and dialogues. I personally thought the first portion of the smuggler story (pre-ship) was really awesome and motivating, but the whole deal with Risha and the hidden treasure was a bit...forced. That's not to say it wasn't good, it just seemed to come from nowhere. The privateer business seemed to be a bit lacking on backstory as well, but it was better..

My thoughts. The Storyline to get the ship back is high-octane funfuel, and finally getting it is extremely satisfying. Played irt on the ber weekends and irt made my decision to start smuggler.

The Risha part.. well... the way she was acting in the beginning, would have kicked her and her rubbish out of the ship. Anf frankly, that whole Nok Drayen - part was creepy.

Act 2.. hjmm.. You are not a Privateer, you never realy board an imperial vessel.. you are more like a Freelance Idiot Agent for that Senator...

Whilst dodging Rogans men, he never really came over as deangerous... dunno.

Act 3.. im pausing and level my trooper.. cool story too, btw.

IMO, the smuggler story lacked a lot of impact - sure, you're just a guy/gal with a ship, but while the Jedi and grunts are killing off key figures, you're... chasing treasure? I guess later you get to be an underworld kingpin, but when you see no tangible evidence of your riches and illegal glory, it doesn't work out as a story device.

This was definitely one of the huge turnoffs for the smuggler line. I wanted to smuggle, or at the very least have some feeling that I was making progress as one. My ship felt far more alive when I had all those random artifacts/animals in my cargo hold. Once they were gone it felt empty. Throw in some random chests, droids, something.

At one point near the end you even "take over and clean up" Port Nowhere, but again that doesn't do anything. You're king of the underworld in name only, with absolutely no impact on anything. Even with the pirates on Hoth, the biggest impact your choices there have is a single credit case sent to you in the mail. Even a weekly mail from a random "subordinate" of 500 credits would make me feel a lot more important as a smuggler.

I was also super disappointed that after you find Nok's treasure to become "super rich" you literally don't get a single credit.. After all that BS playing delivery man I get no money.

On a side note, I love the story. It's hilarious. I've laughed tons of times so far.

I never really felt very smuggerl-y at all *shrugs*.

1) Constantly sent out to attack/harass criminal groups at the behest of some governmental agent. Uhm, these are the people I would normally be trying to work for aren't they?!

2) Becoming a "Pirate" -worse yet, a privateer again working for the government- pirates are almost the opposite of smugglers. I deliver expensive, illegal cargo. Pirates steal cargo. Under normal circumstances, I would be avoiding pirates at all costs and probably be mortal enemies with them!

Basically all of these rich, corrupt Senators and nearly-rogue Imperial officers I keep encountering? Instead of killing them off or running their little errands to further one side of the war or the other, I wish I could be supplying them with weapons drops and medical supplies under the table. Fueling the proxy wars, making credits for the cartel by playing both sides of the conflict, that's what I'd imagined the smuggler being like.

Yahtzee said it best in his Zero Punctuation review: "Since the smuggler is the only class that doesn't work for any larger authority, a reason has to be contrived for him to be in all the same places as the classes that do."

I bristled with contempt every time an NPC started fawning over me because I was such an awesome, inspirational hero.

:9

Edited by Syylara

The storyline was great, but it felt disconnected to the rest of the Galaxy for me and didn't have an "epic" ending. The story itself was great though, I won't knock it.

Consular spoiler:

The ending of the Consular story was grand and epic. Being in front of the Republic basically giving them their new Grand Chancellor and being honored by them with all my companions around me was just an EPIC ending.

Smuggler spoiler:

Instead my Smuggler acted like a Smuggler at the end instead of what they formed his character up to be throughout the entire story arch which was being a republic hero. Pin a medal to my chest or something!

Btw, WHERE'S MY ADMIRAL TITLE?

Edited by ckoneful