Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Is it true PVP expertise cap is at 10%

evildestroyer

A soft cap implies that after 10%, putting any more expertise gives diminishing returns. You would be better to put it to other attributes such as your main attribute (str, wis, aim, cunning) or endurance, power, crit, surge, defense or AC because they will ultimately benefit more than trying to load more expertise.

For example (these are not real #s), you have 500 expertise which gives you 10% bonus. This means each 50 expertise gives you 1% (In reality, I've heard it's more like 36 expertise for 1%). Once you hit 10%, it would take 200 expertise more to get to 11% (again, these #s are not real, but an example). It would benefit more to not use the extra 200 expertise and put them in endurance, main and secondary attributes as it will have a bigger benefit.

Hope this explanation helps.

Edited by KilmarFyrewynd

No hard cap but just over 13% is where you'll be fully geared. You could probably get more if you started putting the level 46 pvp weapon enhancements that have the Expertise stats into your armour but then you'd be gimping yourself in other areas.

A soft cap implies that after 10%, putting any more expertise gives diminishing returns. You would be better to put it to other attributes such as your main attribute (str, wis, aim, cunning) or endurance, power, crit, surge, defense or AC because they will ultimately benefit more than trying to load more expertise.

For example (these are not real #s), you have 500 expertise which gives you 10% bonus. This means each 50 expertise gives you 1% (In reality, I've heard it's more like 36 expertise for 1%). Once you hit 10%, it would take 200 expertise more to get to 11% (again, these #s are not real, but an example). It would benefit more to not use the extra 200 expertise and put them in endurance, main and secondary attributes as it will have a bigger benefit.

To be more accurate:

After you hit the soft-cap for Expertise if you are also at the soft-caps for crit and surge you would be better suited to stacking your main stat/power/endurance.

Also, due to how Expertise works I have a hunch that post-soft-cap expertise still scales better than post-soft-cap crit/surge.

I think it's about 72 expertise pts to go from 10% to 11%... dunno about after that tho.

On a side note, expertise is bugged when inspecting other players- it will display their number but if you hover over it will show your own expertise level.

Soft-Cap means additional gains are still possible. Soft-Cap != Hard-Cap.

Not to mention BM gear has greater non-expertise stats as well.

I think you are better off capping at 10% and then focusing on stats. The difference is pretty small even if you find a way to get 15%.

On a 3200 point strike that is 75 additional dmg.

I think you are better off capping at 10% and then focusing on stats. The difference is pretty small even if you find a way to get 15%.

On a 3200 point strike that is 75 additional dmg.

...err...a 5% increase (assuming that you can, and do, move from 10% to 15%) would be +160 damage. It would also grant -160 damage to an incoming 3200 strike, plus boost an incoming 3200 heal by +160.

The murky part comes when your expertise is at soft cap, but your key secondary stats are below the soft cap. At that point, it might be worth focusing more specifically on boosting crit / surge (etc)...although YMMV, depending on your class.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.