It just sucks...

Matters

DON'T get a computer from best buy!

Few months ago I got a nice PC from Newegg with a AMD Phenom II x4 965 (3.4ghz), 4gb Ram, and a PCI-E video card for $600 bucks. It ran SWTOR Max settings 30-45 fps unless I was in a few select areas that brought it down unusually low.

I just spent another $200 bucks on some more ram/better card and am running 60-100+fps depending on the area.

TLDR: You can get a great PC for well within your budget if you DON'T go to best buy.

Return it if you got one!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to best buy to see about getting a new pc but I only have 950 to spend. The total came to 1060. Mind you I'm running this game on a 6 year old iMac because it's all I have. Love te game but it runs like crap. Still manage to have fun most of the time when I'm not slowed down to a frame a second. Guess I'm just writing this because I'm sad and frustrated.

This Uk or US ?

I liked the cyperpowerpc website. They did a good job putting together my computer. Just get a nice big chassis so you can easily upgrade later. But yeah, you can customize your stuff and get what you want. If you have student loans, you might want to roll in the new PC as some of your college costs. Hard to do all the homework and reports while running a 6 year old computer.

You may get a really cheap decent running graphics card, you don't need a lot for this game after all. Best Buy had a decent one, 100 bucks, on ebay or something might be able to find something better and cheaper than that.

That's the worse advice ever. Do NOT buy a dual core. Quad core or more, dual cores are a thing of the past. The dual core celerons might be cheaper, but they have NO staying power. Every game on the horizon is utilizing more cores. Try running BF3 on a dual core or even TOR (which I do and its horrid), its a waste of time. If you want to go cheaper, go with an AMD quad/6core, or for future proofing, go with an i5/i7 Intel. Stay away from dual cores like the plague.

Uhm... wow. Please, avoid this persons advice like the plague.

Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah I figured it was a bad idea going to best buy.

Before the one I got now, I got it from Best Buy. Good computer, but then I wanted to get a new graphics card, which meant I needed a new power supply. Let's say, that stuff is so stuffed into the chassis that you can barely upgrade it. In fact, it's not worth it.

I had to rip out half of the computer to get the new power supply in. Then had to take the graphics card out to a dinner and a movie and tease it in. Talk about a waste of a day.

To verify, I just went to newegg and built a system for $815

Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z Case

Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.D 500g 7200 RPM HD

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7770 1G Graphics Card

G.Skill 8G (2 x 4g) 240 pin DDR3 1333 RAM

ASUS P8H57-M PRO/CSM LGA 1155 Motherboard

Intel Core i7-2600 Processor

Seasonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W Power Supply

Add Tax, OS, KB and Mouse you should land around $950.

2c

Note: very little compromise in this system. If you need a monitor you could lower the i7 to an i5 and/or go cheaper on the MB. Hmmm...lemme "all in" and see....

Edited by Phnumonic

That was your first mistake. Newegg.com friend, build your own.. for $900 you can build quite the beast.

ya but if you build a lemon then it's a huge pain in the butt to troubleshoot, at least for me. i just go with dell. i can afford to and they have excellent customer service and they build a solid rig

Edited by HBninjaX

1. Processor, processor, processor. Get at least an i5 2500k. Get a "k" processor so you can overclock it for the future. Intel is the only option at this point, AMD is far inferior.

I have an AMD FX6100 and it runs just fine. I think AMD is a better buy for the money imho.

It's called get a job, unless you are 14 years old it shouldn't be hard, make a resume, leave it at a bunch of places and someone should eventually call you back, then you can buy your new PC without being angry or frustrated.

Yes, because there is no job crisis currently in this country. I have friends with Master's degrees working for $9 an hour. Tomorrow when you wake up, maybe read some news on the state of the country.

Yes, because there is no job crisis currently in this country. I have friends with Master's degrees working for $9 an hour. Tomorrow when you wake up, maybe read some news on the state of the country.

maybe they shouldn't have gone into debt studying their navels

haha j/p

sales jobs are always available though, because it's a results based profession

that dolla makes me holla honey bubu child

Edited by HBninjaX

maybe they shouldn't have gone into debt studying their navels

haha j/p

sales jobs are always available though, because it's a results based profession

that dolla makes me holla honey bubu child

It is difficult when you're a full-time student to find someone to hire you. You inevitably have some day classes and some evenings and no one wants to schedule around it. Also, the pay scale for those jobs isn't sufficient to buy a new computer. Students get by on plasma donations and ramen noodles.

Not much , but might help http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/

Yeah I just built

AMD FX 8120 8 core 3.1 ghz CPU

Asus Crosshair V Gamer Republic MB

16 gigs of ram

Nvidia 580 GTX

Asus 27" VG278 3D Monitor

Razer Anansi keyboard

Razer Naga epic wireless mouse

I spent way less than 2k and my system will blow the doors off of anything Alienware or Digitalstorm can produce at double the price. The best part is the deep pockets with the pre bought systems at lan party's both hate and envy my rig.

And honestly building your own system isn't hard...my ten year old daughter has been building her own systems for almost two years now. Plus once you are comfortable with building your machines you know you will always get a quality end result.

Went to best buy to see about getting a new pc but I only have 950 to spend. The total came to 1060. Mind you I'm running this game on a 6 year old iMac because it's all I have. Love te game but it runs like crap. Still manage to have fun most of the time when I'm not slowed down to a frame a second. Guess I'm just writing this because I'm sad and frustrated.

Ahh!

/panics

Don't go to best buy!

Build it yourself or buy from a gaming PC site or find a local place to build you one.

Please don't buy best buy, you will regret every last inch of it.

I have an AMD FX6100 and it runs just fine. I think AMD is a better buy for the money imho.

lol no.

In fact, AMD is actually stopping production and creation of many CPU's.

Sandy Bridge Processors or 32 Nanometer nomenclature is considerably better than anything AMD has to offer right now.

2100(k) for i3, 2500(k) for i5 quadcore, and 2700(k) for i7

Ivy bridge is hittin market soon.

Best Buy lol.... http://www.newegg.com build your own for 600 that will be just as good if not better than the one from best buy. If you don't know how, find someone to do it for you, craigslist FTW.

It's called get a job, unless you are 14 years old it shouldn't be hard, make a resume, leave it at a bunch of places and someone should eventually call you back, then you can buy your new PC without being angry or frustrated.

This is an ignorant troll post.

Best Buy lol.... http://www.newegg.com build your own for 600 that will be just as good if not better than the one from best buy. If you don't know how, find someone to do it for you, craigslist FTW.

Question: I tell my american friends to buy newegg but do they ship to canada?

EDIT: nvm they do.

Edited by TheOnlyKyrenS