Gunnery Rotation and Spec

Karlonta

I know there's a guide up at the top, but i don't know how recently it's updated (or even if anything in the guide changed), but i would like to know what (in your opinions) is the best spec for a gunnery commando and its rotation

also if you know the stickied guide is up to date let me know :)

the reason i ask, is because i got into a fight with a guild officer about the spec, he kept telling me that i need to put the last 2 points into the med tree's steady hands.

my spec is 5/31/3 (with two points to spend)

When i told him that steady hands only applies to healing he said that i HAVE to take it because the healers might need an off heal at some strange time. Which imo seems extremely unlikely.

My instinct though is telling me i should throw the last 2 points into first responder, so i can get through FA and GR faster

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800McZMIkrordokfzZc.1 is the build so far

Edited by Karlonta

Tell your guild leader he is wrong (personally I would leave the guild immediately if I had a guild leading telling me where I "have" to put my points).

IF (and that is a big if) you are going to do any kind of off healing it is going to be done very rarely and in that case 2 points in either quick thinking are going to be far more useful than steady hands. Without being specced you aren't going to do a lot of healing...you might be able to throw an Adv Med Probe to keep someone alive till an actual healer can get to them but there aren't a lot of situations when you are really going to be doing any off-healing.

Anyway, the last two points are pretty much a dump...put them anywhere you want, it isn't going to make much of a difference on anything.

For PVE rotation I lead with grav, FA, grav, HIB, Demo. Then full auto when off cooldown (or curtain procs, HIB & demo when off cooldown, hammer shot to keep ammo at the appropriate levels, otherwise more grav rounds.

My spec: 5/31/5

My play style: heavy pvp with HMs

Rational for point distro:

2/2 Weapon Calibrations: Since as a gunnery trooper you want to avoid alacrity on gear for more favorable stat buffs, picking up alacrity anywhere else. And I find that a constant 4% is better than 5% that requires you to crit, see First Responder.

2/2 Heavy Trooper and 3/3 Soldier's Endurance: Since I do a fair bit of pvp (valor lvl 42 and climbing) the extra endurance/hp is nice to have.

1/2 Charged Barrier: With the buff lasting a whopping 15 seconds, only investing 1/2 into the talent will still have it up 5/5 the majority of the time, freeing up much needed talent points.

0/2 Cover Fire: If people are getting out of your range, it is because they are running away. People who are running away are not a threat to your healers or the points yoiu are defending.

0/1 Kolto Recharge: Really this is mainly, what I would call, and PvP talent. But even at a massive Battlemastered gear 16k HPs, that only equates to 112 HP/sec... and that is NOT going to save you if you are being bursted down.

Rotation:

Best scenario (PvE) -

Full Auto > Grav Round x 3 > Full Auto (if Curtain of Fire proc'd) > Hammer Shot > Demo Round > Grav Round x2 > High Impact Bolt > Hammer Shot

This rotation can be repeated ad nauseam because you will never drop below "maximum ammo regen"

Burst Face (PvP) -

Full Auto > Grav Round x3 > Full Auto (if Curtain of Fire proc'd) > Demo Round > Grav Round x2 > High Impact Bolt

Tell your guild leader he is wrong (personally I would leave the guild immediately if I had a guild leading telling me where I "have" to put my points).

This is the best advice. Why the hell would you play with people that tell you how you should play? Leave this a-holes guild. YOU pay! YOU play! Your money, your choice!

In fact, I'll suggest that if you're in a PvP guild, you drop Gunnery and go Assault line just to mess with him. NOBODY tells you how to play!