This is what I believe...

Sarfux

Their whole strategy was not to give it all at launch but yet...put it into major content updates where they keep adding things to the game. That's their strategy. Keep on adding what the people want month after month.

I also believe the planets will expand on top of us getting new ones quite frequently. The terrain and everything is already there, they just have to open it up which I am sure they will do in time.

I love this game and I am patient and am subbed for the longest I can. I keep on giving my support to things and tell the devs where they need some things.

So for the people who moan, guys, just wait...it is all coming. You will NOT be disappointed. :) Keep your head up high! May the force be with you

Their whole strategy was not to give it all at launch but yet...put it into major content updates where they keep adding things to the game. That's their strategy. Keep on adding what the people want month after month.
Isn't that the basic business plan for every MMOG?

So for the people who moan, guys, just wait...it is all coming. You will NOT be disappointed. :) Keep your head up high! May the force be with you
Not that I disagree (still on the fence) but you're just basing this off of blind faith and hope, right?

just checking.

Isn't that the basic business plan for every MMOG?

Not that I disagree (still on the fence) but you're just basing this off of blind faith and hope, right?

just checking.

blind faith and hope? I wouldn't say that. I know stuff and know some people. People who know me through here know that :)

I also believe the planets will expand on top of us getting new ones quite frequently. The terrain and everything is already there, they just have to open it up which I am sure they will do in time.

I love this game and I am patient and am subbed for the longest I can. I keep on giving my support to things and tell the devs where they need some things.

Sounds like a pretty good strategy to me.

You can spend years building every possible thing that anyone could ever want and launch with a huge deficit in hand...

OR

You can spend the time building the core elements that absolutely MUST be present to play, then see who your user base actually is, see how they actually play the game, and what they actually request, then focus your resources on adding those things into the game.

I'd choose the latter option as well.

Yeah, my personal strategy is take as long as possible to reach 50. So I always have somethign to do. But my main is level 17 & I'm starting to get bored, all the missions are the same. Go kill that guy, loot his monay & come back.

So doing this is risky for Bioware.

Edited by Aedey

Problem is, these days they cant afford to wait, maybe 5 years ago this would work, But today new and exciting MMOs come out all the time, and by the time they get their stuff together, people will have left back to WoW, or tried something new ,GW2, Terra, (Enter New Hyped MMO here)

Edited by Atanasov

Strong word, isn't it. "Believe". Almost religious. I am happy that your faith can keep your enthusiasm up for this piece of technological marvel. It worked for many during the medieval ages anyway. :)

Anyway, I seriously doubt that a major gaming developer/publisher held back certain vital things on purpose. They released what they had and what they were able to do. We will see some small adjustments, but basically it's a "What You See Is What You Get".

Problem is, these days they cant afford to wait, maybe 5 years ago this would work, But today new and exciting MMOs come out all the time, and by the time they get their stuff together, people will have left back to WoW, or tried something new ,GW2, Terra, (Enter New Hyped MMO here)

Actually, the reverse of this is more likely to be true. These days you can't afford to waste a bunch of money creating things that you might think need to be in the game just because others have it. And you can't continually keep resetting your bar for "what needs to be in the game" because as you develop the game, other games will release with new features, and if you keep doing that, you'll always be playing catch-up and never actually launch.

You have to make your decisions for the core set of features, stick to it, do them well, and release it so you can get some feedback from real players across a wide spectrum, and not just your dedicated fans who signed up to be beta testers a year earlier.

And the "something new" may not even compete if it isn't even the same type of content.

Is there any new MMO game releasing any time soon with a science-fiction bent to it? GW2 and Tera certainly aren't.

And I believe you are completely wrong.

Why on earth would a company on purpose release a mediocre game, watch half of the subscribers quit again after 1-2 months, and then start to add the good stuff?

That doesn't make any sense at all.

If they had had the good stuff ready at launch, they would ofc have released it.

Edited by Painstorm

Actually, the reverse of this is more likely to be true. These days you can't afford to waste a bunch of money creating things that you might think need to be in the game just because others have it. And you can't continually keep resetting your bar for "what needs to be in the game" because as you develop the game, other games will release with new features, and if you keep doing that, you'll always be playing catch-up and never actually launch.

You have to make your decisions for the core set of features, stick to it, do them well, and release it so you can get some feedback from real players across a wide spectrum, and not just your dedicated fans who signed up to be beta testers a year earlier.

And the "something new" may not even compete if it isn't even the same type of content.

Is there any new MMO game releasing any time soon with a science-fiction bent to it? GW2 and Tera certainly aren't.

I never meant that they need to copy other games, I'm saying they didn't do anything new here, hence they cant afford to wait to put out new things/fixs to save the games population from leaving. So the reverse isnt true whatsoever. quests are the generic chase the way-point, PVP is laughable, 50 endgame is nothing more than the generic gear grind, So no they cant wait to put out new content, as some of these new games may have NEW things in them that aren't in other MMOs, Swtor other than really cool voice acting and what can be considered a single player storyline in the game which is largely if not completely solo able , but I was disappointing mainly because they could have done something that has not yet been seen. but really have done the same things.

Edited by Atanasov

I believe partnering with EA means Bioware had to launch the game before they would have liked to.

I believe partnering with EA means Bioware had to launch the game before they would have liked to.

This, but cant blame EA for wanting something to release when you hear the amount of money spent on the project already.

BUT this does not mean the OP is wrong :p I hope he's right actualy. And I also have faith in Bioware that they will add the features everyone is asking for. You can already see some of them in the video on the home page (guildbanks, UI custimisation for instance)

So what you're saying is the 4 years of development and a few hundred million dollars were not enough to create a semi-decent WOW clone?

Oh right, I'm sure throwing more cash at them will totally make them design a non-crap game. After all they totally showed how competent they are and how well they know what a modern MMO has to look like to dominate the market.

Blind fanboi is blind.

100% correct.

Their whole strategy wasn't to release all the content at once like all other MMOs usually do. It took WoW one whole day to release all of it's patches and updates which I felt was rushing it a tad.

Bioware is known for innovating so whatever they release will be of lesser godly quality. Of course guys, they can't release bug filled patches and updates without our help! Don't stop at subbing guys. Give Bioware your paycheck. No, give them your retirement savings because judging by the fact they came up with this game on a 300 million dollar budget, more money than any MMO has ever spent, giving them more money will OBVIOUSLY help.

So stop moaning and complaining guys about stupid things like grinding "social", no LFG tool, linear content and the 1000s of bugs you're bound to stumble upon regardless of what you do! Bioware keeps secrets and don't answer questions with real answers because it's a "strategy". Calm down.

I love this game and trust Bioware. They have proven they are years ahead of everyone in the gaming industry 50 years ago.

Good post Sarfux. Good post.

And may the force be with you också.

Edited by Tiaa

100% correct.

Their whole strategy wasn't to release all the content at once like all other MMOs usually do. It took WoW one whole day to release all of it's patches and updates which I felt was rushing it a tad.

Bioware is known for innovating so whatever they release will be of lesser godly quality. Of course guys, they can't release bug filled patches and updates without our help! Don't stop at subbing guys. Give Bioware your paycheck. No, give them your retirement savings because judging by the fact they came up with this game on a 300 million dollar budget, more money than any MMO has ever spent, giving them more money will OBVIOUSLY help.

So stop moaning and complaining guys about stupid things like grinding "social", no LFG tool, linear content and the 1000s of bugs you're bound to stumble upon regardless of what you do! Bioware keeps secrets and don't answer questions with real answers because it's a "strategy". Calm down.

I love this game and trust Bioware. They have proven they are years ahead of everyone in the gaming industry 50 years ago.

Good post Sarfux. Good post.

And may the force be with you också.

The sarcasm is strong in this one, and yet...

The tone is entirely justified. 1.2 patch is crunch time for BW, and even blinkered fanboys know it.

Of course it might be that the target demographic for the game isn't the group that race to 50 and demand endgame content NOW from a game at launch :rolleyes:.

It might just be, as Bioware themselves have stated, that they want people to play through the stories and have decided they are not going to cater for hardcore raiding players or those that race through content ******* at their space bar like a maniac?

I am having a great time in game and that pretty much is all I care about - my play experiance.

This one is espacially for the posters above me... guess I m still naive but the sheer ampunt of sarcastic nerdrage trolls that have never ever achieved anything in life but critizise everything is still surprising to me.

Hey look! It's a guy playing a MMO critizising and making assumptions about what others have achieved in life because he didn't like their comment.

This is new and exciting. Just like combat logs.

Of course it might be that the target demographic for the game isn't the group that race to 50 and demand endgame content NOW from a game at launch :rolleyes:.

Just who is this fictional group you're talking about? This game launched 2 months ago. Considering it takes an average of around 6 days /played to hit 50, you'd really have to be going out of your way to not be bumping up against the content wall by now.

It might just be, as Bioware themselves have stated, that they want people to play through the stories and have decided they are not going to cater for hardcore raiding players or those that race through content ******* at their space bar like a maniac?

If they truly wanted everyone to play through the stories then they wouldn't have included level 50 timesink activities.

If they truly wanted everyone to play through the stories, the unique content would constitute a lot more than roughly 10% per base class per faction.

If they truly wanted everyone to play through the stories, they'd offer incentives for doing so - and no, dangling the legacy system on the end of a stick does not count.

If story is all they care about, they should have released a single-player RPG, rather than trying to crowbar their square peg into a round-holed market.

I am having a great time in game and that pretty much is all I care about - my play experiance.

I'm having a great time in-game farming valor and bags with my multiple level 50s, in the hope that 1.2 makes it worthwhile beyond the playing experience. Perhaps your view of the target demographic is a little skewed?

Just who is this fictional group you're talking about? This game launched 2 months ago. Considering it takes an average of around 6 days /played to hit 50, you'd really have to be going out of your way to not be bumping up against the content wall by now.

If they truly wanted everyone to play through the stories then they wouldn't have included level 50 timesink activities.

If they truly wanted everyone to play through the stories, the unique content would constitute a lot more than roughly 10% per base class per faction.

If they truly wanted everyone to play through the stories, they'd offer incentives for doing so - and no, dangling the legacy system on the end of a stick does not count.

If story is all they care about, they should have released a single-player RPG, rather than trying to crowbar their square peg into a round-holed market.

I'm having a great time in-game farming valor and bags with my multiple level 50s, in the hope that 1.2 makes it worthwhile beyond the playing experience. Perhaps your view of the target demographic is a little skewed?

I mostly disagree with you. But with the levels of nested assumptions you've made I'm way to lazy to address them all. :)