Scum

Katzith

It's because they can't curse. I just spent the day playing Mass Effect and every alien in that game uses the full range of English profanity. In Star Wars, they don't- you get things like "Scum" and "Nerf-herder" because of its attempts to be family friendly.

In response to the post above me, The Mountain on Nar Shadaa tells you he'll see you in hell at some point, I'm pretty sure, so in Star Wars it's a concept for at least some cultures.

It's because they can't curse. I just spent the day playing Mass Effect and every alien in that game uses the full range of English profanity. In Star Wars, they don't- you get things like "Scum" and "Nerf-herder" because of its attempts to be family friendly.

In response to the post above me, The Mountain on Nar Shadaa tells you he'll see you in hell at some point, I'm pretty sure, so in Star Wars it's a concept for at least some cultures.

I've heard 'bugger' used by NPCs. So they are obviously not checking against the OED!

You are aware that "scum" is a very, very, very derogatory word?

It describes the foam building up when you boil meat. Which is seperated from the broth and thrown away.

It means something of absolutly no value whatsoever. And in regard of people it describes people who are so worthless, that they do not even have the right to live.

Calling someone scum shows you regard him as even less worth then a simple animal.

They use it because it sticked as an imperial thing to say. But that is not coincidental. The empire was build around the symbolism and feel of the german third reich.

Calling someone scum is a very german fashist thing indeed. The german equivalent "Abschaum" was used very broadly for any group which was deemed not worth to be alive and therefore send to die in the extermination camps.

Like Jews, Sinti, Roma and Jehovah's Witnesses.

Edited by Karenai

Lol yes I'm aware "scum" is a pretty derogatory word. I just thought it was funny how often it's used in the dialogue in the game then realizing that they did that in the movies too. Granted I think I've seen it more on my Imperial toons than my Republic ones but I've seen it Republic side as well.

My guild now has a side joke of taking a drink every time the word "scum" is used in game (and not by one of us but by an npc or in the common chat channels). Okay I think one of us isn't joking and that's why she keeps getting drunk before raid :-p