The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Cover should NOT block LOS for charge

Anatlos

He's not trolling, and he has a point. Let me put it more plainly because clearly everyone is rabid to get there "oh snap" remark in and feel smug.

When you're in cover in the game (I have both an agent and a warrior), you have defensive bonuses to all enemies in a frontal cone. If an enemy is outside of this cone, you do not have a defensive bonus against them. The OPs point is that this should be a consistent. If the "cover" doesn't wrap all the way around the player (and this isn't up for debate...cover DOESN'T wrap around), why should the bonuses wrap around (and they don't except with charge)?

I agree that snipers don't need any more nerfs, but with entrench and pulse a good sniper can keep a good warrior at range even with a charge landing. It happens everyday.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..Wow....your serious...

Dear Devs

Paper is too OP..I cant leap to it, and everytime they see me they kill me at ranged..

Please nerf them..They will be fine even if i am in melee range..

O dont worry about Scissors..

They are balanced.

Sincerely ~

Rock.

I can't blame you. Engaging in a thoughtful discussion is way more difficult than reducing his suggestion for overall balance into a troll complaining that he was beaten by one player.

No one is saying snipers are too powerful. But just beecause a class needs some improvements shouldn't bar it from discussing possible imbalances from the other side of the table.

He's not trolling, and he has a point. Let me put it more plainly because clearly everyone is rabid to get there "oh snap" remark in and feel smug.

When you're in cover in the game (I have both an agent and a warrior), you have defensive bonuses to all enemies in a frontal cone. If an enemy is outside of this cone, you do not have a defensive bonus against them. The OPs point is that this should be a consistent. If the "cover" doesn't wrap all the way around the player (and this isn't up for debate...cover DOESN'T wrap around), why should the bonuses wrap around (and they don't except with charge)?

I agree that snipers don't need any more nerfs, but with entrench and pulse a good sniper can keep a good warrior at range even with a charge landing. It happens everyday.

This, right here .

I can't blame you. Engaging in a thoughtful discussion is way more difficult than reducing his suggestion for overall balance into a troll complaining that he was beaten by one player.

No one is saying snipers are too powerful. But just beecause a class needs some improvements shouldn't bar it from discussing possible imbalances from the other side of the table.

Wanting to remove a class's innate defense against you does not a thoughtful discussion make.

I'm a PT, I consider snipers in cover to be my hard counter. I run away or go around, but I don't charge headlong into a sniper in cover. And that's fine, snipers still aren't that beefy and covers all theyve got going for them, if I could grapple a sniper out of cover, it would be such a curbstomping as to not even be fun. Let the weak class have its ability.

lol this thread!

Nerf snipers, coz everybody knows that we're so OP! :D

Oh yeah! And let's give them just 1hp too! That way you can charge AND kill the sniper at the same time.

You haven't read more than 3 words in this thread have you...

So I need an accurate head-count here: how many/what CC abilities does a sniper in a typical, popular PvP spec have? Include knockbacks, slows, snares, stuns, mez, the works.

Edited by Anatlos

i completly agree.

on a completly unrelated matter i think that mercs should only have 1missile attack and they need to revisit an arms dealer to replenish it.

also snipers should be immune to everything in their frontal arc while in cover and one shot with their sniper rifles those they snipe.

Not being able to charge from the front, or even directly from the side.... fine.

Not being able to charge from behind, when the cover is the opposite side of your target is frankly retarded.

Dont give a toss about anything else Sniper related tbh, but this mechanic is pretty stupid.

While I feel that cover SHOULD block charge to some extent, I also feel that it should take into account player Position. IE I should be able to charge the gunslinger/sniper that's got his back exposed to me. It would be tricky as **** to code in an mmo though...

So a squishy target should be even more squishy so you can get a easy kill?

Yes, Snipers' cover mechanic is clearly too powerful.....

Really though, since when have Snipers/Gunslingers actually been giving anybody any trouble on a consistent basis? Last I checked, our lack of utility, inability to have any sort of reliable escape, and the fact that we are easily vulnerable to LoS exploiters definitely make us less optimal than just about every other class....

Of all classes that need any sort of nerfing, even in the slightest, Snipers aren't one of them.

Yes, Snipers' cover mechanic is clearly too powerful.....

Really though, since when have Snipers/Gunslingers actually been giving anybody any trouble on a consistent basis? Last I checked, our lack of utility, inability to have any sort of reliable escape, and the fact that we are easily vulnerable to LoS exploiters definitely make us less optimal than just about every other class....

Of all classes that need any sort of nerfing, even in the slightest, Snipers aren't one of them.

What kinda utility do you guys lack? You have 0 stuns, no way of knocking anyone back, can't immobilize anyone or use a mass CC can you?

OP, read cover tooltip and close this stupid thread.

Take Cover

Instant

Cooldown: 1s

Roll into the selected cover point. Taking cover increases your ranged defense and, so long as you remain down, most ranged attackers strike your cover instead.

This one?

You're not hiding behind the wall if they're behind you. The whole mechanic doesn't work the way it should.

Immunity to Charge means you guys have a staggering advantage over 25% of the available classes. Without getting into melee range (which you can knock us right back out of, root us, stun us, move, then root us again), we can do NOTHING at all.

And finally, I'd just toss the grenade to the side of the wall, as the blast radius would still get you.

It defeats the purpose of sniping when distance becomes meaningless.

/thread