The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech or Mercenary?

ZDProletariat

I want to level a toon completely through pvp, as an alt on the side.

I know the power of Tracer Missile, but which class do you honestly see as the most viable, has the most damage potential, most DPS, best for 1v1 especially? The Mercenary, or the Powertech. And which spec of those allows them to do it? Thanks

(I will be making this thread in the two other class forums as well since I know how some people read the forums, so don't try to call me out on making three threads or w/e)

Thanks for the feedback guys

It depends on your playstyle. Powertech is a melee class with a few ranged abilities throw in. Pyro is very good and lots of fun in PvP, as are a couple of the Shield Tech specs. You can Guard, you can taunt, and you can still beat people up.

I've played both. I prefer Powertech.

Edited by Sevvy

powertech is an awesome class that will let you have fun with the pvp tanking functions.

Merc trades some survivability for a healing tree. Merc is a RANGED class whereas powertech should be thought of as a melee class until you play enough to say otherwise.

personally I think powertech is the more fun class.

Edited by Umpire

I have a 50 Arsenal Mercenary that I leveled through the regular quest route.

I also have a 50 Pyrotech Powertech that I leveled through PvP doing only class quests, actually have not even finished my class line yet. PvP was a lot of fun on the PT. I was usually top of the board with medals and kills. So I hit 50 with 50 valor which makes getting to Battlemaster that much easier.

IMHO PT is the way to go.

I have merc, leveling a PT now... I'm not sure if it's simply because people don't know how to deal with you but I find PT working much better. Mercs are a dime a dozen and most people know to interrupt tracer and if that happens your DPS drops very low since the entire dps build relies on it for procs, buffs and debuffs.... unless you go pyro on merc but that's widely considered a joke build unlike Pyro PTs. Edited by DrekorSilverfang