Respec advice from Defense to DPS

Kinrain

Yep...because there's so much more to the spec.

Oh wait...

Here's my L2P right back at you: "If you're playing Vigilance in PvP you're holding your team back and thus are bad."

There, a blanket, unfounded statement with little merit or value.

See what I did there?

There is more to the spec and the fact that you don't think so only proves that the guy was right. You clearly don't know how to play the Vig spec. You may not be bad. You may be fantastic as Focus spec. I can't say anything to that, but it seems to me like Vig spec just might not be for you.

More thoughts on my respec.

I've been running dailies and heroics for the Mod/Amour/Enhance upgrades and my gear is pretty good for pre HM/OPs and i'm happy with how its going.

I think I have too much crit gear though, I am going to shift more towards Surge/Power/Strength as I feel the extra crit is unneeded when I can force a crit on Force Sweep. I know i'll lose crit chance on my other attacks but I think the added baseline damage from str/power and th eadded crit damage from surge will more than compensate.

With regard to the comments about Vig being boring i'm sorry but thats my experience. I've got a background full of playing the underdog classes (such as Paladin Tank in wow pre Burning Crusade) so i'm used to sticking at something and practicing a spec until I can wring the very last drop of efficiency out of it. I'm sure Vig can be effective but I doubt it'll ever be as fun as Focus is.

In PVP a lot of comparison has been made between the burst value of Focus and the sustained dps of Vig. But in PVP you very rarely get the chance to apply that sustained dps, especially as a melee character (and in the highly mobile boss fights in PVE I would question if that sustained dps can be applied effectively too). Whereas the focus burst can be used effectively most of the time. The downtime when Force Sweep is on CD is generally used to reposition yourself or your opponent. I've run to Operatives and force pushed them into a pack to get the most out of the next sweep bomb several times.

I believe that the Vig/Def hybrid is the most effective PVE spec, and the Focus spec is the most effective PVP spec, however, the dps focus puts out in PVE still feels huge.

Unless we get damage meters that categorically show me i'm underperforming compared to Vig/Def in dps i'll go with the spec thats the most fun to use.

Just a quick addendum.

I haven't found i've been focus starved. Occasionally i'll get jumped so won't have the saber throw/force leap focus headstart I normally get but i'll just hit Combat Focus and i'm fine.

Being focus starved was a concern for me before I respec'd so I thought i'd drop this comment in now for those of you that are still considering trying Focus.

A normal PVE fight goes something like this; Saber Throw (Tab change target), Force Leap (Tab change target), Force Exhuastion, (Tab change target) Sundering Strike (by the time SS has finished you have 4 ticks of sigularity), Force Sweep (and any normal mobs are dead) , Blade Storm, Sundering strike, Force Stasis, Force Sweep. And thats normally the rest dead. My Force Sweep hits for around 4200 on each mob now so thats upto 21000 damage if you can get them all together (great for melee only critters).

Getting ranged mobs to conveniently line up for you can be more difficult, in a normal group I tend to Saber throw the melee mob, force leap to the furthest ranged and force push him to the other two ranged Force leap again to the newly created pack and position between them so when the melee gets to me I can hit them all with the Force Sweep maximising the damage.