Observations From Penny Arcade

KurleyKilla

Just a little more insight from a respectable source, on the "Quality" of the "storylines" in Swtor.

http://penny-arcade.com/2012/02/13/swtor3

"I debated talking about this but I think it’s important. If you’re playing SW:TOR this post will have some spoilers with regards to the end of the first story arc.

I was incredibly disappointed and frustrated by the ending of the first arc In SW:TOR. I am playing a Jedi Consular and my class story was really the thing that kept me playing the game. Around level 35 the story started to wrap itself up and this involved a ridiculous amount of planet hopping. I kept getting sent back to Tython and then out to another planet and then back to Tython. Each time running to the space port, to my hanger to my ship to an orbital station to a different hanger to another shuttle to a space port. I was repeating this ******** dance over and over again until my story finally concluded and that’s when the worst offense happened.

After wrapping up my storyline I was told that the Jedi counsel wasn’t quite ready to give me my next assignment and I should head to the Republic Fleet for some R&R. I assumed this was all apart of the story. I arrived at the fleet and found the person I needed to talk to standing next to my class trainer. I clicked on them to initiate a dialog and they had nothing to say. Then the quest showed up as completed and told me to return to Tython. Let me say that again. The person had nothing to *********** say to me. They did not even try and pretend that they were doing anything other then making me run around for no ********ned reason.

I will put up with a lot of ********. I’ll run back and forth between these stupid spaceports but you have to meet me half way. I understand that there are all kinds of things MMO’s do to extend playtime. But this was too much. There was absolutely no reason for me to go all the way back to the fleet. In fact they couldn’t even be ****ed to make up some half-assed reason to send me back there. It was so blatant and so insulting that I have not played the game since. That was probably two weeks ago and I’ve had no desire to log back in.

I recognize that these games represent a sort of player abuse, but at least tell me you love me after you slap me.

-Gabe out"

It appears as though the people like myself who have criticized the quality of the storylines in this game are not alone in their disgust.

Perhaps if the gameplay itself was rock solid...I would not care the pointless cutscenes of monotony are so jarringly bad.

Edited by Notannos
rude

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously this particular issue can easily be corrected by having Joe Bob McQuestguy make chitchat about the quality of the new fleet air filtration units before asking the player to bring him an Alderaanian ale (which requires no less than twenty seven intermediate conversations with NPC's of note spread generously around the fleet) before sending the player back about the storyline quest.

I think they should atleast add some class dailies to do at 50 so the story does not feel that what you did from 1-50 (or whatever level you finished your main class story) was all for nothing, no recognition, the only epic thing about your character at 50 are the pvp/pve gear.

For a game that taunts its story based driven MMO like its the next iteration of sliced bread for MMORPG industry, how each class story ends is just a little underwhelming.

Sounds like a bug to me.

I had about the same thing happen to me with my Guardian, but when I got to the fleet the NPC I talked to sent me off to Nar Shadaa to do the bonus quest series there.

Either he already did the Nar Shadaa bonus, or something else happened, but it wasn't a failure on the part of the story line.

Sounds like a bug to me.

I had about the same thing happen to me with my Guardian, but when I got to the fleet the NPC I talked to sent me off to Nar Shadaa to do the bonus quest series there.

Either he already did the Nar Shadaa bonus, or something else happened, but it wasn't a failure on the part of the story line.

You're incorrect. I remember finishing act I of the Jedi Knight storyline and having the same thing happen. Bonus Quests =/= main storyline quests. The NPC give you a little exp, no dialogue, and you continue on your way to act II.

[quote name='KurleyKilla']Goodness no, That validates Penny Arcade as a source, and validates Gabes opinion. You must not really be reading this.[/QUOTE] No i am but what you fail to understand is that what someone at penny arcade thinks means nothing in the bigger picture, hence the good luck with that Maybe someday you'll get it Edited by lineschmidt

Just a little more insight from a respectable source, on the "Quality" of the "storylines" in Swtor.

http://penny-arcade.com/2012/02/13/swtor3

"I debated talking about this but I think it’s important. If you’re playing SW:TOR this post will have some spoilers with regards to the end of the first story arc.

I was incredibly disappointed and frustrated by the ending of the first arc In SW:TOR. I am playing a Jedi Consular and my class story was really the thing that kept me playing the game. Around level 35 the story started to wrap itself up and this involved a ridiculous amount of planet hopping. I kept getting sent back to Tython and then out to another planet and then back to Tython. Each time running to the space port, to my hanger to my ship to an orbital station to a different hanger to another shuttle to a space port. I was repeating this ******** dance over and over again until my story finally concluded and that’s when the worst offense happened.

After wrapping up my storyline I was told that the Jedi counsel wasn’t quite ready to give me my next assignment and I should head to the Republic Fleet for some R&R. I assumed this was all apart of the story. I arrived at the fleet and found the person I needed to talk to standing next to my class trainer. I clicked on them to initiate a dialog and they had nothing to say. Then the quest showed up as completed and told me to return to Tython. Let me say that again. The person had nothing to *********** say to me. They did not even try and pretend that they were doing anything other then making me run around for no ********ned reason.

I will put up with a lot of ********. I’ll run back and forth between these stupid spaceports but you have to meet me half way. I understand that there are all kinds of things MMO’s do to extend playtime. But this was too much. There was absolutely no reason for me to go all the way back to the fleet. In fact they couldn’t even be ****ed to make up some half-assed reason to send me back there. It was so blatant and so insulting that I have not played the game since. That was probably two weeks ago and I’ve had no desire to log back in.

I recognize that these games represent a sort of player abuse, but at least tell me you love me after you slap me.

-Gabe out"

It appears as though the people like myself who have criticized the quality of the storylines in this game are not alone in their disgust.

Perhaps if the gameplay itself was rock solid...I would not care the pointless cutscenes of monotony are so jarringly bad.

People care what that kid says (Gabe)? Meh... "It's the end of the world as we know it..."

You're incorrect.

No I'm not. I went to the fleet, a NPC in the same room as the trainer told me to check back in via my holotransmiter when I was ready for my next assignment.

I walked out and a NPC was standing there with a quest marker. I talked to her and was asked to go back to Nar Shadaa. I also had a quest from Kira to go there and help some friends of hers.

The NPC give you a little exp, no dialogue, and you continue on your way to act II.

Then you missed the other NPC. Because the one in the training area didn't do much, but there was another NPC there who did in fact offer a quest.

Same thing happens int he Trooper story...

Go to the Senate Building on Courscant to a room in the far back and west wing....

Go to Tatooine and do one quest....

Go back to the Senate Building on Courscant...

Take out a ship in outter space....

Go back to Courscant...

**** my life.

Don't we have *********** Holocall technology for this ****?

People care what that kid says (Gabe)? Meh... "It's the end of the world as we know it..."

Yes, a lot of people care what he says. He's also not a kid. Last I checked he's in his mid-30s and co-founded/runs one of the most successful video game related businesses that currently exists.

No I'm not. I went to the fleet, a NPC in the same room as the trainer told me to check back in via my holotransmiter when I was ready for my next assignment.

I walked out and a NPC was standing there with a quest marker. I talked to her and was asked to go back to Nar Shadaa. I also had a quest from Kira to go there and help some friends of hers.

Then you missed the other NPC. Because the one in the training area didn't do much, but there was another NPC there who did in fact offer a quest.

...You're missing the point entirely. The fact that you -CAN- pick up the Nar Shaddaa bonus series has absolutely nothing to do with it. The main storyline tells you to go the fleet for absolutely no reason. You can't honestly think that the game is forcing me to go there so I'll pick up a bonus series.

Like I said... not the only game with bugs.

I can list about a page of bugs for every game I have played in the past too, games that I loved.... That doesn't disprove what I am saying.

You really don't get it.

Even parts of the game that aren't bugs... are broken...

The game at it's core has major issues that need fixing.

Also it is missing many features that anyone who is oversaturated with videogames (mmorpgs in particular) is going to expect... Tough ****.

Hence why they added or are adding, LFG tool/PVP brackets/cross server queues etc etc etc

edit: guy I was quoting/responding too seems to have vanished off the face off the earth.

Edited by KurleyKilla

Like I said... not the only game with bugs.

I can list about a page of bugs for every game I have played in the past too, games that I loved.... That doesn't disprove what I am saying.

You really don't get it.

Even parts of the game that aren't bugs... are broken...

The game at it's core has major issues that need fixing.

Also it is missing many features that anyone who is oversaturated with videogames (mmorpgs in particular) is going to expect... Tough ****.

Hence why they added or are adding, LFG tool/PVP brackets/cross server queues etc etc etc

edit: guy I was quoting/responding too seems to have vanished off the face off the earth.

Really? I didn't read where they said they'd add cross server anything, got any links to that?

Sounds like a bug to me.

It's not a bug. This happens with all classes between acts, you're sent to just go to the Fleet, click an NPC that has no dialogue which arbitrarily completes a quest that kicks in the next part of the story. It's pretty annoying.