The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PvP AP spec, is it viable?

LukasMukas

if you wanna use CGC go Pyrotech.

This is what I use as a 31pt AP:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMZMsrdRMfkdsZb.1

I call it "Pyropredator" because if you know what you're doing, you'll never lose track of running prey... and you use flamethrowers the entire time.

I didnt get that derpy flame barrage box because all it does is make rocket punch free. What you will quickly learn as a full talent AP is that you will not have any issue with your heat unless you have no idea how to rotate talents. And do not underestimate the value of "prototype flamethrower" because it does indeed have its uses, esp. against gunslingers/snipers who insist on sitting still in one place.

AP has an emphasis is on Immolate and Flameburst. everything else is supplemental.

Don't rely on Charged Gauntlets as anything else but an occasional boon to your rotation... not worth it. Railshot is not as crucial as the talents make it look, nor is it as reliable as Flameburst or Immolate. Howevr, it is still worth using the damage/AP boxes for Railshot because despite its weaknesses, it is a very heavy-hitting ability.

Hydraulic Overrides and Hitman is what makes this tree viable, esp. against caster professions. Time it right and casters will not be able to knock you back or get off any of their heavy channeled attacks.

Edited by BlazingShadow

I call it "Pyropredator" because if you know what you're doing, you'll never lose track of running prey... and you use flamethrowers the entire time.

I didnt get that derpy flame barrage box because all it does is make rocket punch free. What you will quickly learn as a full talent AP is that you will not have any issue with your heat unless you have no idea how to rotate talents. And do not underestimate the value of "prototype flamethrower" because it does indeed have its uses, esp. against gunslingers/snipers who insist on sitting still in one place.

AP has an emphasis is on Immolate and Flameburst. everything else is supplemental.

Don't rely on Charged Gauntlets as anything else but an occasional boon to your rotation... not worth it.

Hydraulic Overrides and Hitman is what makes this tree viable, esp. against caster professions. Time it right and casters will not be able to knock you back or get off any of their heavy channeled attacks.

You can pick up both Hydraulic Overrides and Hitman as a AP/Pyro hybrid spec (like mine :D) while keeping the free rail shot procs and Flame Burst/CGC emphasis from the bottom of the Pyro tree.

Relying on Flamethrower, which has a cd and can be interrupted, in melee range.. in pvp.. is not a good idea.

You can pick up both Hydraulic Overrides and Hitman as a AP/Pyro hybrid spec (like mine :D) while keeping the free rail shot procs and Flame Burst/CGC emphasis from the bottom of the Pyro tree.

Relying on Flamethrower, which has a cd and can be interrupted, in melee range.. in pvp.. is not a good idea.

...if you don't know what you're doing.

1. If you are interrupted in the middle of FT, you move str8 back into your flameburst/immolate/RP/RB attack pattern. The heat loss is miniscule with the low cost of your major attack and prototype cylinder.

2. If you can stun before hitting FT, do so

3. It's not always going to work, just as thermal det is not always going to crit, and you are not always going to have your shields/KO ready when you need them. That's the game. WHen it does work, and when you know what you are doing, when you can FEEL when the time is right, you'll see the beauty of it.

also

1. If you are not playing AP in melee range, you are wrong.

2. If you are not picking up immolate, you are wrong.

Oh, and what does your hybrid setup look like? I'll guess something like this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010zZMsrbRMckZbIbbdh.1

Edited by BlazingShadow

I only chose the CGC perk to get the talent lnked to it that ignores targets armour, and yeah left the flamethrower cause in pvp it is almost useless. Cheers for the tips, would this look any better.

http://http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301ZbsrrRMckkcZbIbb.1

Sure, if you're trying to maximize railshot.

However, I believe that your emphasis on Railshot is misguided... it's not a jesus button. If you're not maximizing your flameburst/immolate damage, then you're not doing AP correctly IMO.

But by all means, try it for yourself.

EDIT: and if you insist on going that far into the PT tree, then you might as well get rid of the point in stabilized armor and grab IM for the additional DoT. You at least wont have the heat problems a pyro does.

Edited by BlazingShadow

...if you don't know what you're doing.

1. If you are interrupted in the middle of FT, you move str8 back into your flameburst/immolate/RP/RB attack pattern. The heat loss is miniscule with the low cost of your major attack and prototype cylinder.

2. If you can stun before hitting FT, do so

3. It's not always going to work, just as thermal det is not always going to crit, and you are not always going to have your shields/KO ready when you need them. That's the game. WHen it does work, and when you know what you are doing, when you can FEEL when the time is right, you'll see the beauty of it.

also

1. If you are not playing AP in melee range, you are wrong.

2. If you are not picking up immolate, you are wrong.

Oh, and what does your hybrid setup look like? I'll guess something like this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010zZMsrbRMckZbIbbdh.1

The only time you can FT reliably is against really stupid people clumped on doors, or after a stun. That's really very situational. Putting talents into something this situational seems like a waste to me.

The other points you make are good, though.

That's close to my spec, let me update it and post.

Charged Gauntlets loses a lot of its value when you already have over 25% crit chance.

Update: This is the spec that I use currently. I run in CGC for auto-snare and extra damage.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010MZrsMrobczZfhMbdh.1

Edited by Varicite

The only time you can FT reliably is against really stupid people clumped on doors, or after a stun. That's really very situational. Putting talents into something this situational seems like a waste to me.

The other points you make are good, though.

That's close to my spec, let me update it and post.

Charged Gauntlets loses a lot of its value when you already have over 25% crit chance.

Update: This is the spec that I use currently. I run in CGC for auto-snare and extra damage.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010MZrsMrobczZfhMbdh.1

Interesting. If it works, it works :)

And also when they're crowded around the fire in Huttball, trying to get to the ball carrier.

if you spend 30pts in AP and dont take Immolate youre just stupid tbh ...

31pt. AP spec is fine as far as PvP goes:

http://swtormovies.com/movieview.php?id=1819

no heat issues compared to Pyro

If anything, all that video shows is how poor Adv. P. is currently. No burst, low sustained. Most their damage was from AoE, hell they couldn't kill a 12k HP healer with Quell talented! I sadly do more burst and sustained spec'd 21/2/18 with more survival and team play, destroy as 4/6/31.

Also very /sadpanda since the person in the video never used their taunts that I could see. Sonic Missile and Neural Dart literally are game changers.

What stats do you stack for AP pvp, and which armor set do you think is best?

Crit/Surge for sure. Your talent that grants 30% crit damage to Rocket Punch, Immolate, and Flame Burst allows you to disintegrate enemies effortlessly.

if you spend 30pts in AP and dont take Immolate youre just stupid tbh ...

31pt. AP spec is fine as far as PvP goes:

http://swtormovies.com/movieview.php?id=1819

no heat issues compared to Pyro

Ill have to agree, with the poster above I was going to try AP again and then you reminded me why I hate it....

A true shame cause I became a PT orignally because of flamethrower :(

Don't rely on Charged Gauntlets as anything else but an occasional boon to your rotation... not worth it. Railshot is not as crucial as the talents make it look, nor is it as reliable as Flameburst or Immolate. Howevr, it is still worth using the damage/AP boxes for Railshot because despite its weaknesses, it is a very heavy-hitting ability.

I dont like some of your choices.

Ok i get you like FT and dislike Flame Barrage. I personally like Flame Barrage a lot since it allows me to use more high damage abilities befor i have to use Rapid Shots. This should increase my sustained dps. FT is relying on people not to move and you cant rely on that much. While i agree its great dps i think its not made for PvP yet(is till have hopes they will chnage that somehow).

Putting two points into Power Armor and only one in Advanced Tools i dont get either. 1% damage reduction is so little while using the grapple more frequently is so good in PvP.

Kolto Vents is just a wasted point. It does nothing. Sure its nice to get some extra heals here and there but it wont effect a battle at all.

Taking Rail Loaders over Steely Resolve is another strange choice. With the points from Kolto Vents and Rail Loaders you could spend three Points Steely Resolve and increase your dps by much more than by just taking Rail Loaders.

This is how i specc my AP for PvP:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301G0hZMsRrRrckbsZb.1

Edited by Thyferra

I dont like some of your choices.

Ok i get you like FT and dislike Flame Barrage. I personally like Flame Barrage a lot since it allows me to use more high damage abilities befor i have to use Rapid Shots. This should increase my sustained dps. FT is relying on people not to move and you cant rely on that much. While i agree its great dps i think its not made for PvP yet(is till have hopes they will chnage that somehow).

Putting two points into Power Armor and only one in Advanced Tools i dont get either. 1% damage reduction is so little while using the grapple more frequently is so good in PvP.

Kolto Vents is just a wasted point. It does nothing. Sure its nice to get some extra heals here and there but it wont effect a battle at all.

Taking Rail Loaders over Steely Resolve is another strange choice. With the points from Kolto Vents and Rail Loaders you could spend three Points Steely Resolve and increase your dps by much more than by just taking Rail Loaders.

This is how i specc my AP for PvP:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301G0hZMsRrRrckbsZb.1

I considered taking steely resolve, but then I thought... who cares about an extra ~140 aim. Taking 6% dmg increase on a 60% AI attack with a crit proc (and using the eliminator set) just seemed natural... keep your hard-hitting abilities... hitting hard. Same reason I take iron fist.

And I can indeed rely on people not moving too much when there's a herd of 'em, or if I toss an electrodart.

And just because you don't appreciate an extra HoT doesn't make it useless. There are so few times I ever have heat problems with PTAP that vent heat by itself is fairly useless.

It may not effect a battle's outcome (it is just a 7% heal, I get that) but it buys crucial seconds that I need to get away from an untennable fight, or regen health (kolto overload + kolto vent + WZMedpack = over half ur health restored)

There are plenty of times I'll see a bigger benefit from KV than, say another 5sec cooldown on Adv Tools or 5sec cooldown on ED.

Well for me its close to 160 aim but that is not much of a difference. These extra points in aim increase my bonus damage by over 50 and increase my crit chnace by a small amount as well.

So in between 2 Rail Shots i can cast 9 other spells. All dealing 50+ damage. With my cit chnace of 33% 3 of those spells should crit for another 100 damage. So i just did 10 spells (including Rail Shot) for over 600 extra damage with that aim. For Rail Shot be affected that much by ~10% (6% + crit) your rail shot has to hit for more than it does.

My Rail Shot with the extra aim and the 4 set rakata bonus (8% extra damage) crits for a little over 3.2k.

The extra aim just deals more damage over time.

If you want the most damage you take both Rail Loaders and Steely Resolve. If you want to get the debuff you should only take Steely Resolve.

And if you put that last random Point into Kolto Vents or Power Armor does not really matter. Neither will really help you in a fight. But thats a personal choice. But you got me thinking. Perhaps i will give Kolto Vents another try. Did not impress me that much when i had it specced. But perhaps its better than the point in Power Armor.

Grapple is one of your strongest abilities in PvP i see no reason not to specc fully into it.

While I agree grapple is a better choice the Poster above me, his math is horribly wrong. Aim gives ~.2 damage for every point so that is 32 bonus damage that dosnt just stack onto your attacks, each attack has a modifier so that 32 bonus damage might only give 12 more damage to 9 of those attacks and 60 damage to the tenth.

Please don't come here posting numbers when you don't understand how the mechanics work.

Other than that the poster above me is correct on most accounts but it is mainly personal preference.

Sorry i posted some oversimplified and to my shame wrong nubers.

But i just respecced to give Kolto Vents a try again and decided to write down some nubers before i specced into Steely Resolve. Every other thing was specced at that point already.

Rapis Shots: +29

Immolate: +54

Rocket Punch: +59

Retractable Blade: +30

Bleed: +45

Rail Shot: +61

Flame Burst: +38

Flamethrower: +98

Death from Above: +140

Those are all the skills i use most of the time.

I gues the median is more around 40 than above 50. Point still remains the same.

With the 6% extra damage and without the extra aim Rail Shot would be ~ 1568 - 1901 for me.

With the extra aim and without the extra damage its at 1540 - 1854 for me.

Thats plus 28 minimum damage and plus 47 maximum damage.

Of course this is all against a target with no armor or resists what so ever.

I hope i did not make a mistake in this calculation this time.

Edit: We could expand on this by saying that Rail Shot and Rapid Shots can be avoided and are affected by shields and armor (Rail Shot is only affected by 40% of the targets armor).

All the other attacks can't be avoided and only Rockets Punch and the initial hit from Retractable Blade are effected by armor.

Edited by Thyferra