TOR too 'new agey' for SW?

Ycoga

This is just an observation.

Bioware's writers tend to make use of interesting computer-based scenarios (such as hacking software systems to finish a quest and the use of AI's and holograms as characters). One prime example of this is the Reapers in ME.

Such trends have been continued in TOR: Tharan's holographic companion is an AI, for example. Also there are several examples of system hacking (one republic agent on Balmorra is a hacker by trade, in all but name).

The major concern I have with this is that the concept of an 'AI' is too hard-sci-fi a concept for the science-fantasy world of Star Wars. This is true also for the concepts of hacking computer systems. I feel that these do not thematically fit Star Wars.

Am I the only one that sees it this way?

It *does* seem peculiar that 3000 years later, sentient holographic entities and Geth-like machine factions aren't running around.

Holographic communication is employed in the movies, though, as well as various bits of tech hacking. In some sense, I think TOR feels a bit un-movie-like just because we're seeing it a bit more close-up.

The scrappy gang from the original trilogy did have a master hacker with them pretty often -- R2-D2. ;) Yes, he's a droid, with a theoretical advantage in the field, but there is an implication that computer systems are open to exploitation by even non-droid slicers. R2's only an astromech droid, after all. Edited by Jenovan

The scrappy gang from the original trilogy did have a master hacker with them pretty often -- R2-D2. Yes, he's a droid, with a theoretical advantage in the field, but the implication is that computer systems are open to exploitation by even non-droid slicers. R2's only an astromech droid, after all

All droids in SW had pet-like levels of sophistication; even the ones used for manual labour and as astromechs.

What I mean is that Lucas had no idea what a BIOS was, nor that an astromech might need to boot up if you swtich one on, for example.

society degraded and such ..easy as

This makes sense, but what I'm getting at is that, for me, SW is a child of the 70's. George Lucas was working with a new age of hardware, where computers had big red light bulbs on them and programming was just coming out of the 'insert tabbed slip into slot A' stage.

Mass Effect, on the other hand, is thoroughly modern and was built by proficient, technical people using software as their medium.

I wonder how much the writers just relied on an approach they used for the ME series; and whether more could have been done to keep a more authentic SW feel?

Edited by Moitteva
Removed quoted rude and response

"Slicers" are a relatively common feature in the New Republic-era EU. It would be silly to think that even a space opera/space fantasy-flavored society that's so reliant on computers (everyone uses commlinks, every ship that's hyperspace capable needs a navcomp, droids are ubiquitous) wouldn't have people who were talented at exploiting them, just like it would be hard to imagine a D&D-style high fantasy world of dungeons and castles without people who specialized in circumventing locks, traps, and traditional methods of warfare.

And what of the AI?

I don't understand your problem here.

Droids are, and always have been since the original trilogy, AIs. The only differance between C-3PO and Holiday is that one uses a hologram as her form, and one is shoved inside a machine so he can walk around.

And what of the AI?

What of it? It's standard fare in SW... I mean, pretty much every droid you meet in the movies at least has the ability to emulate sentience if they aren't a proper AI outright. If anything some of the more mindless droids you see in TOR are the anomaly, not the AI.

Bioware's writers tend to make use of interesting computer-based scenarios (such as hacking software systems to finish a quest and the use of AI's and holograms as characters). One prime example of this is the Reapers in ME.

Such trends have been continued in TOR: Tharan's holographic companion is an AI, for example. Also there are several examples of system hacking (one republic agent on Balmorra is a hacker by trade, in all but name).

The major concern I have with this is that the concept of an 'AI' is too hard-sci-fi a concept for the science-fantasy world of Star Wars. This is true also for the concepts of hacking computer systems. I feel that these do not thematically fit Star Wars.

"Threepio, would you shut up and listen to me?!? Shut down all the garbage mashers on the detention level! Shut down all the garbage mashers on the detention level!"

I can cite more examples of good ol' Artoo hacking stuff in the movies, but that makes my point well enough, and it is the funniest. :)

I agree with everyone's observations here. Droids are certainly AI's.

Perhaps I get a sense of cross-pollination when I think of the Reapers and EDI, then Holiday... I'm sort of waiting for an evil AI to come and cause trouble in the SW universe when, traditionally, droids are hopeless and tend to stay out of the affairs of sentient races in SW lore.

Hmm. Interesting, nevertheless.

Perhaps I get a sense of cross-pollination when I think of the Reapers and EDI, then Holiday... I'm sort of waiting for an evil AI to come and cause trouble in the SW universe when, traditionally, droids are hopeless and tend to stay out of the affairs of sentient races in SW lore.

In SW most droids get memory wiped on a regular bases to prevent them breaking their behavrioral inhibitors, R2 though for exsample has likely not been memory wiped since the events of Episode 1 and C3-PO was wiped at the end of episode 3 (solo due to the fact he needed to not remeber Obi in episode 4) and HK-47 well he has gone what 300 years now (ok he's been blown up a few times but still) without one.

Directive 7 :)

Edited by Heley

Well, probably not.

But given that hacking and AIs were present in the original set of films you and whoever will have a hard time making a case that it contradicts the spirit of the setting.

It *does* seem peculiar that 3000 years later, sentient holographic entities and Geth-like machine factions aren't running around.

Holiday is a unique lifeform, probably exotech. We don't see another like her in this era that I'm aware of, so why would we expect to see more like her several millennia later?

There were sentient machine cultures in the Star Wars galaxy. E.g. the Silentium or Abominor. They just didn't have anything to do with the main storyline of the Chosen One so weren't part of the movies.

Man people are so Myopic when it comes to Star Wars. Anything that deviates from their personal narrow view of what Star Wars is causes outrage......unless of Course it s a fan made YouTube Video that Retcons Star Wars and makes it all Battlestar Galaticy...then they cheer. :rolleyes:

There's a lot you can forget over 3k years. After you've got hyperspace travel, what else is there to get? Hyperspace travel- Now with BACON!

Ensign: Captain, why are we using the hyperdrive to travel between the planet and the starport? You're only saving--

*hyperdrive engines turn on, and everyone receives free bacon*

Ensign: ...protest withdrawn, captain. *noms*

Edited by LyriaFrost

For another example of an AI, you have Scorpio, a companion of the Imperial Agent. "She" was expressly designed to constantly adapt and improve herself, and notes that her first several incarnations were non-sentient. She bootstrapped her way up and seeks to improve herself further still. She's an adaptive, self-directing, self-improving AI.

Nice Thread, at least a new topic.

Really recent addition to Star Wars is that they have actually internet ingame. You can download missions, and it is even interstellar, as you can check your E-Mail anywhere. They did it a little over the top, as you can't download only money, but also stuff (the boxes look, like they have a lot of storage, so maybe they have some delivery guys who put in the gear by hyperdrive, if needed).

Anyway, they did not cross the "Neuromancer line", where you play "hacker missions" in an alternate reality.

For another example of an AI, you have Scorpio, a companion of the Imperial Agent. "She" was expressly designed to constantly adapt and improve herself, and notes that her first several incarnations were non-sentient. She bootstrapped her way up and seeks to improve herself further still. She's an adaptive, self-directing, self-improving AI.

This is an example of why I thought that perhaps the story tools and techniques that the team developed during Mass Effect have made their way into TOR.

The conclusions that people seem to have reached in this thread are that self-evolving, sentient AI's are not very Star Warsy.

However the AI approach was well received in ME... it could be that the writing team used it as a template for this game, favouring a formulaic writing approach, which can detract from the immersive experience of SW in this game.

Bioware: you may need to freshen up your tropes with regards to rogue AI's. You may be giving away plot details for ME3. :p