A question for MMO vets

rpdowning

I never played WOW so I'm curious to know what there was to do when your character reached level cap.

Just browsing the forums and stuff, I get the sense that when you reached your max level is when the game really started. For the most part I stick to single players games so when the story is over, the game is finished for me unless I really enjoyed it and pay for some DLC down the road.

I am really enjoying the game and have played four classes to around 40. I loved IA so much I decided to hold off on my lvl 36 OP and see how the sniper plays. So back to my question. WOW being Theme Park like SWTOR, (again thats just what I am picking up) What was there to do besides wait for the next expansion? Besides rerolling alts and hacking out dungeons you've done multiple times before?

Just on a side note I read you could fish in WOW. This makes me wonder if you could just wander off and spend time just fishing, looking for secret or hidden areas, chatting with different people and that kind of social stuff. In SWTOR its seems since this is so about your personal story, you miss out on a lot of social opportunitys besides heroic and flashpoints.

Thanks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

WoW had achievements and other miscellaneous things to do besides dungeon/raid grind. Though, the majority of it will be dungeon/raid grinding and rolling alts as it is here and most people are just complaining to complain.

There's actually less of a social aspect to WoW because there pretty much are no quests that require groups and the LFD is completely random with people you will never meet again, and who will most of the time never talk.

Edited by ckoneful

Every level cap, 60, 70, 80, & 85. After the initial level grind you did Heroics to get gear for raids, then wiped week after week on bosses advanced 1 maybe 2 bosses a week until you hit the latest tier of content. If you were that lucky that is, most cases the newest raid came out before you were finished with the previous one (At least in the early game/expansions) when which after a while got you further and further behind.

Aside from raiding you had Arena or PvP some notable AV matches lasted 40+ hours.

Every expansion you would rinse and repeat. Grind out raiding until you completed it or burnt out, same with pvp.

We could have raids to "capture" city's, tho, you couldnt capture it for real, but, the feeling was there :)

People fighting in other factions city and not only to kill the bosses, but, to really get some fun pvp going on PvE server :D

Also raids to "hardcore" instances, dont forget all the skills you could do, like fishing for special fish, so you could make good food with buff's.

There was really no reason to just sit around in the city and wait for a queue.

Then later on in WoW they removed so you didnt have to lvl up weapon skills, then it got kinda easy boring... then they made the LFG tool to sign up for queue.. and turned it into a sit and wait game in a city..

Also, you didnt have to have truck load of people with you, you could go alone into other faction towns and kill guards ect.. and then fight players of untill you got mass ganked lol

That also reminds me of old SWG, that was one good reason to play it, Republic & EMpire could meet up in any city and fight & they could also speak to each other...

SWTOR is missing a huge social part of that..

To talk about other games, there was Eq, in that game you would go on HUGE raids and kill lots of stuff & that wasnt only for end game, you could go into it before you got to lvl cap.

In MxO(Matrix online) they would hold events where we got to hunt a Agent all over the maps ect. and if you got a Great team, then you could take one down like the guild i was in, we were the First to kill a Agent on that server :) Guild was called KoN(The Kings of Never)

I still miss those guys today :/

Anyway, that was just to show you, that there was lot of things you could do in other games & what SWTOR is missing.

Regards.

Nept.

Its the genre as a whole. Mmo's are on the way out. I blame the community.

Every player thinks they are just so damn good and important.

Disagree that mmos are on the way out but they certainly need to think up some new ideas rather than copying the same old theme park style. There are a few mmos coming this year that are doing things alittle different so we will see what happens with them.

WoW had (as of last year, can't speak to recently) all kinds of different ways to entertain yourself at end game.

Achievements

Collectors (i.e. mounts)

Faction rep

Fishing

Auction House

Crafting (manual)

Exploration

City raids (kill opposite faction boss in a city) <--- loads of fun

Arena

*PvP in general

*PvE Raids and Heroics

*Dailies

Bottom three were the "grindiest" of them all, and guess which one's SW has?

this is something I don't understand.

If you don't enjoy a game, why play it? even pay a monthly fee?

Its simple really. What's the alternative? Every MMO in the last 15 years has been the same thing. You grind to max level. Do "Insert here" to get gear. Do "Insert here" to get better gear. Do "Insert here" when you get bored. The only thing different in MMO's has been the graphics & UI.

In a nutshell, WoW treated you like a slave in Egypt. I don't miss it at all.

Yeah, 40 man Molten Core 6+ hours raids with 10 fps for one tier 1 item. How awesome was that?

Oh it was. And look at the following and success it created. Great game for good players.

Maybe you werent one.

Its simple really. What's the alternative? Every MMO in the last 15 years has been the same thing. You grind to max level. Do "Insert here" to get gear. Do "Insert here" to get better gear. Do "Insert here" when you get bored. The only thing different in MMO's has been the graphics & UI.

that's the thing, why play and pay for MMO's then?

I got a buddy that is playing the latest Zelda game, and he just talks how awesome it is.

Zelda is just an example, but there are many great games out there.

Personally I enjoy the grinding and repetitive nature of MMO, but some people seem to hate yet still play it.

Its the genre as a whole. Mmo's are on the way out. I blame the community.

I remember when they wrote "MMOs are the game of the future". Heh. How is this different from playing a singleplayer game through though? At least in MMO you have other people to play and have fun with.

On my part, join a guild, do hardmodes together to gear up, do ops together. Kill world bosses etc. When youre geared up yourself, help guildies gear up.

Level up your crafting and sell stuff on galactic market.

Hunt for stuff like datacores and lore items.

Play PVP. Once the 1.2 patch comes and I can take out the armoring from endgame gear, I will definitely be grinding pvp gear just for the looks.

@ luanch you basicly did the same thing as you do in SWTOR, (run dungeons and farm), At least here you have dailies which i believe where absent at WOW launch.

BUT!

In wow you could fish, cook, work on your craft skills, run dungeons for special shematics that could make you VERY rich if you got them before they where common.

You could grind mobs for reputation with factions which would let you buy fanity items like pets etc. (OWh god I still have nightmares about Furbolgs!!!)

I feel that these things are lacking in SWTOR. The basic gameplay @ lvl 50 is ok (except for the tons of bugs ofcource) but i have nothing "special" to do. My craftskills where maxed @ lvl 49, I can't fish/hunt or cook, my companions grind the mats i need for Stims etc. There are no festifals to attend and no factions to grind reputation with. I'm sure these features will be added later but atm.. its... wel... A bit boring imo. (thank god for alts though ^^)

I remember when they wrote "MMOs are the game of the future". Heh. How is this different from playing a singleplayer game through though? At least in MMO you have other people to play and have fun with.

On my part, join a guild, do hardmodes together to gear up, do ops together. Kill world bosses etc. When youre geared up yourself, help guildies gear up.

Level up your crafting and sell stuff on galactic market.

Hunt for stuff like datacores and lore items.

Play PVP. Once the 1.2 patch comes and I can take out the armoring from endgame gear, I will definitely be grinding pvp gear just for the looks.

Im not asking what to do. Im well aware. Look at the unhappiness with all mmo's. Look at the decline. People are getting over them.

that's the thing, why play and pay for MMO's then?

I got a buddy that is playing the latest Zelda game, and he just talks how awesome it is.

Zelda is just an example, but there are many great games out there.

Personally I enjoy the grinding and repetitive nature of MMO, but some people seem to hate yet still play it.

I, personally find it as a better investment. An MMO has its ups and downs. Its not fun for every second of every minute you play, but its not boring all the time either.

As an console gamer I'll sit down and play a game until I beat it. Often times I can do this in a few days. Before I started playing MMO's I was spending hundreds of dollars each month. It got to the point where it was like "Why buy a game, If I'm only going to play it a few days..."

I never played WOW so I'm curious to know what there was to do when your character reached level cap. Thanks

There is not 1 genuine answer. It all depends when you started playing a certain MMO - were you there from day 1, were you in the beta, or alpha, did you join 6 months after it was released, ...

My first MMo was Everquest, back in 1999. Cable and DSL stuff wasn't around, we used modems with a specific baudrate, the higher the better, provided your phoneline would be able to carry it.

After getting my first phonebill, I stopped playing - 300 ish UK pounds was a little too steep to play the game.

Everquest was immense from the start however.

I got cable in 2000, a couple months after my purchase. There had been patches and bugfixes and stability fixes, and no expansion had yet appeared, not any game content update.

Maybe cause your character didn't have run speed until a shaman or druid granted you spirit of the wolf (or if you were a shaman or druid). Even at level 50, unless you had quested for 'Jboots' or had a pocket buffer with you, or a potioncrafter, your runspeed was feet. Traveling was a journey in and of itself, especially depending on your level and the area's you visited.

There were no mounts at the start - no horses, no drogmors or whatever it is these days, there was no transport, you and your feet were it. - no quick travel at all - you had 1 bind point which you could change as you traveled along, but dying meant returning to that bindpoint and start off from there.

You could change continents by running to the next lands, then taking a ferry, running some more and hope you weren't devoured by any of the big beasties that roamed anywhere on the path or in the seas. Remembering to make sure you bound yourself at every city you passed.

If you died, you were nekkid - your armour didn't wear down, you just had a corpse lying where you died which you had to get to again and loot to get your stuff back.

You also had no sense of direction. You had to spam a skill to know which direction you were going and if you were lucky, or skilled after a while, you got the correct direction. Casters got an ability called 'true north' so at least they could at one point, head north or make a best guess from there where east/west or south was.

You had to train your swim skill - you went into water, well, better hope you could swim or the other side of the creek would take ages to get to.

Depending on what server you played on, you couldn't even converse with any other races other than your own race and that of the humans that spoke common, provided you were not a human - you had to group with other players/races to learn a language and it being spammed in chat.

But anywho, you finally got to level 50, you had camped all known mobs for that special bit of gear that gave you either attack speed or flowing thought (mana regen), you did your epic quest to get the best weapon for your class and you went raiding in the Plane of Fear/Hate/... for better gear yet.

The only thing is, at the beginning of MMO's, of EQ, leveling 1 to 50 and having all the best PvP or PvE stuff, didn't take just 2 weeks, or a month, it took a hellovalut longer.

The introduction of other MMO's, the appearance of instant-travel, the appearance of mounts, that all came through time.

A new MMO had to incorporate all this from the start, while older MMO's had gotten these over time.

And sure, after a while, in the updated/expanded older MMO's the option to level up and raid to get your gear etc. eventually also was all doable within a month.

But at the very start, when all the 'fast' or 'quick' or whatever you want to call it (easy-mode) wasn't there, MMO's took time, skill and patience.

Patches were common, bugs were plenty and the journey was more fun because you had to earn your stripes.

MMO's these days are instant gratification or near enough. A 'sprint' at level 14, mount at level 25 which doesn't really need upgrading until you can afford it, at which time you're most likely 50 anyways

Corpse recovery is a thing of the past - just repair your armour before it's durability is gone completely.

Ah, the joy of it being simple these days and not a chore... :-)

The only thing is, at the beginning of MMO's, of EQ, leveling 1 to 50 and having all the best PvP or PvE stuff, didn't take just 2 weeks, or a month, it took a hellovalut longer.

I can relate to that, when I played FFXI It took me 2 years to reach max level. I wasn't a slow leveler 1-2 years was average for most people.

MMO's these days are instant gratification or near enough. A 'sprint' at level 14, mount at level 25 which doesn't really need upgrading until you can afford it, at which time you're most likely 50 anyways

Corpse recovery is a thing of the past - just repair your armour before it's durability is gone completely.

Ah, the joy of it being simple these days and not a chore... :-)

Really?...

One title:

EVE Online

ENough said.