The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Give me a legitimate reason to NOT have a LFD tool.

EvilTrollGuy

Because some how their 100+ hours a week of playing and mad tanking abilities will not get the recognition they deserve! No one will look at what Guild they are in with jealousy!Heh.

I think I'm going to bail on this never-ending argument because I am beginning to believe you are 100% right.

These people so anti-lfg tool are running circular arguments that don't make a ton of sense. They try to justify it with false statements - I've heard that LFG makes content easier/nerfs so many times I want to cry :(

It's like they are mad other people are finally able to get equipment and experience content that used to be accessible only to a relatively few people.

The only reason they would care that other people have access to that content? I think you stated it pretty clearly. They want to be able to do something others can not. It's a bit sad on their part :(

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whoa - because you were able to do it means everyone else clearly should? not only that but despite knowing absolutely NOTHING about your personal situation we should just EVIDENTLY know this?

In the end - why do you care if it's easier for other people to do it?

LFG does NOT make content easier. What it does, and this should be evident since it is oh so bloody obvious, is make it easier for people to find other people to group up and do that content with.

It allows more people to experience content.

If you want to continue to do server-side only groups - and are happy with it...then do it.

Why do you care so much about how other people experience the game?

Yes - I want finding a group to be easier. I want as little downtime when I log on as possible because I do not have unlimited amounts of time to play.

Why....do you care.

Warcraft saw its greatest rise in player base during that time. SWTOR currently has a max pop of lets say 1.6 million. You can pick any number you like but that's the number that was given. Warcrafts rise to fame had it exploding at upwards of 14 mil at its peak. No matter how you look at the numbers the greatest period of growth for warcraft occured before the implementation of lfd when people had to grind out keys. Much more than 1.6 million I can assure you. Maybe not everybody but far more people were able to get **** done in a system that was far more restrictive without the use of LFD. I don't incidentally think we should make this game for everybody. Theirs definitely a margin that can be played around with and likely BW will do whatever it thinks makes it the most money and hopefully is also the most fun for its customers. Bejewelled is probably a much better way to go if you wanna make a game for EVERYBODY.

The truth is that its simply not just a case of they experience the game by themselves. These are shared virtual worlds. We're in this together now more or less. A change to one effects a change to all. If the game is tailored to give an experience to one, it is tailored to give it to all. You are more or less pigeonholed into using LFD.

Again no system of convenience goes by without an associated cost. I think its safe to say thats a truism.

Edited by TonyIommi

Offer a bonus (color crystal, or pet or credits or whatever) to the guy big enough to accept that his toon should have his name changed. I love black sabbath but for 10k cred I could just as easily be Ozzy Osbourne, Or Bill Ward or Terry "Geezer" Butler.

I actually quite like this idea. Specially the color crystal part. Ive been trying to recreate my kotor 2 Char and cant find a cyan crystal for the life of me >.<

I think I'm going to bail on this never-ending argument because I am beginning to believe you are 100% right.

These people so anti-lfg tool are running circular arguments that don't make a ton of sense. They try to justify it with false statements - I've heard that LFG makes content easier/nerfs so many times I want to cry :(

It's like they are mad other people are finally able to get equipment and experience content that used to be accessible only to a relatively few people.

The only reason they would care that other people have access to that content? I think you stated it pretty clearly. They want to be able to do something others can not. It's a bit sad on their part :(

I wouldn't worry, you're already getting a LFG tool. Additionally they've changed their stance on Cross-Server from "We're not considering it at the moment" to "It's definitely something we're exploring" in less than a month. In the end, they care about number's not some player's server rep.

I actually quite like this idea. Specially the color crystal part. Ive been trying to recreate my kotor 2 Char and cant find a cyan crystal for the life of me >.<

They exist somewhere so dont give up hope. I cannot for the life of me tell you where, but i've seen people with them watching pvp videos and such.

Maybe you have never seen the acronym 'MMORPG' spelled out before. i shall enlighten you. "Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game" Quite literally the only point of making and playing a MMORPG as opposed to a traditional RPG, is the social aspect. If you dont want this, perhaps this isnt the genre for you. Skyrim is a really fun game with none of this "talking to other people" hassle. Perhaps thats more up your alley.

yup - favoring sociability over playabilty sure worked out for Star Wars Galaxy huh.

Your dumb statement suggests that I said anything about eliminating any social aspects from games, which is incredibly disingenuous but what I've come to expect from most people online.

If the argument to not implement any reasonable change is because it will discourage me BONDING with other people on my own server - then yes, that is absolutely insane.

If you want to implement social activites and socializing - great, I'm all for that but are you suggesting you would support something like - from now on, in order to remain in a dungeon group or raid group, you msut send at least one group message 3 times every minute, or you will be auto-removed from the group - this will encourage socializing because this is as you said this is a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE ROLE PLAYING GAME and if you dont want to be social, go play skyrim.

How about dedicating a few servers to not taking part in a X-LFD and allow transfers?

I'd get what I want and you would get what you want.

/thread

Perfectly sensible :p It would also be pretty definitive on what "most" people want. IF the non-lfg servers were jam packed well I'd be happy to eat crow.

How about dedicating a few servers to not taking part in a X-LFD and allow transfers?

/thread

I agree and I think Bioware would be even better served by taking a page from Rift and allowing free server transfers for the community.

Cross-Server Friends lists.

The only problem I have with this would be server stress being hightened (not a problem for light servers I guess) What with servers having to ping eachoter to see who's friends on another server where on.

But its been years sense my last computer class so maybe tech has advanced enough that its not too bad

Wow, you guys are really enjoying this...

Again I ask: why not implement a LFD tool that takes from your own server first??

Because its value on low population servers would be pretty small and it would do nothing to even poorly alleviate their fundamental problem of being low population, mostly.

Server merging basically isn't an option in any practical consideration. To merge servers this early in a game's lifespan would be tantamount unto calling in sick on your third day of work.

A bad sign in a big way, in short, and not the sort of message Bioware or EA would be well served to send.

In that respect, the actual best answer is prevented by politics and public relations; fricken tragic, innit?

LFD on high pop servers would probably work just fine though; no dispute there. Unfortunately, again, low pop servers would still be left straggling, folks would still have a lot of cause to complain on those servers and queue times, even on high pop servers, would probably be pretty long.

An LFD tool of this variety is most optimally employed where the largest number of players can benefit by being able to use it, hence why some of us push for cross-server.

We know there are issues of accelerated and heightened exposure of individuals to a greater number of people (and thus a greater number of crappy people in that number) in a shorter amount of time; we know that this readily leads some to think that LFD makes there be more crappy people because, again, you can be exposed to more of them more quickly and more regularly than in any other circumstance.

We also know that crappy people can get away with being crappy for longer spans of time because its harder for a given server population to get all social-darwin on them; not impossible, just harder.

Some of us determine that the value of the system; the benefits of it to everyone across all the servers; justify the unpleasant incidentals that come along with it.

Some very much do not.

Why would you choose a server where you'd rather group with people from other servers?

Seem to remember Bioware assigning Servers. I don't care what server the players in LFG come from. But ask any more asinine questions you have rattling around in there.

/thread

This game doesn't have a cross server LFG. We have what we want.

There are other games that have what you want.

Why are you trying to change the game into your want at the expense of ours?

Because its value on low population servers would be pretty small and it would do nothing to even poorly alleviate their fundamental problem of being low population, mostly.

Server merging basically isn't an option in any practical consideration. To merge servers this early in a game's lifespan would be tantamount unto calling in sick on your third day of work.

A bad sign in a big way, in short, and not the sort of message Bioware or EA would be well served to send.

That's a foolish reason not to do it though. Again giving pain medication to a cancer patient doesn't cure the cancer. I'm not sure why we should accept a band aid solution to real problems. Going forward if they follow this mentality then they may as well be Blizzard 2.0. Don't address the core issue, implement a system to alleviate the symptons instead.

Edited by TonyIommi

Perfectly sensible :p It would also be pretty definitive on what "most" people want. IF the non-lfg servers were jam packed well I'd be happy to eat crow.

Those servers would likely contain the best/most progessed players/guilds. It'd only be a matter of time before they were full.

Where did they say they are adding a cross server lfg and when did they say they are going to do it?

your really arrogant thinking that you speak for anyone but yourself(via your "we have what we want" comment)

The devs on a few recent podcasts that you are welcome to look up have stated they have been looking to update the lfg tools and while originally they did not like the idea of LFG so much that they have warmed to it and will likely implement it - no timetable given.

Those servers would likely contain the best/most progessed players/guilds. It'd only be a matter of time before they were full.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Even the most progressed players and guilds need a pool to recruit from. The top end raiding guilds would essentially be poaching off one and other for the first little bit and you'd have very little in terms of a base to train new raiders and such.