I spend more time fighting the targeting UI than I do fighting opponents

GreymaneAlpha

You either have no clue what you're talking about, or you are completely confused by the complaints in this thread.

Yes, "target next enemy" "works" in the sense that it targets "a next enemy". It does not behave intuitively, however, because it seems as though it targets enemies in order of proximity, regardless of character facing.

Play Warcraft for two minutes. Hit tab a few times. See how intuitive it feels? Your tab target preferentially targets enemies you are FACING. Not enemies that are behind you, or off to some side hidden behind a pillar.

Also note that you can target nameplate/healthbars in WoW. And that targeting boxes are much larger (and more intuitive).

Put another way: I never once in the four or five years of playing WoW *ever* heard someone talk about having to rebind "tab" to "target nearest enemy". I never felt like targeting opponents was a chore while playing Battlegrounds, and I never screamed in rage as my tab button targeted a guy that was 10 yards behind me instead of a guy that was 11 yards directly in front of me.

In wow, you hard to physically turn your toon to face who you wanted to attack. In swtor, your toon turns and faces the target automatically when attacking thus why you get the nearest target in a 360* area as opposed to wow's 180* area. . .

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Especially as a healer, it is insanely difficult to target people that need heals. Since you can't click on nameplates (why?) and tab (or ctrl-tab for friendlies) is ridiculously unreliable and has the great habit of targeting people BEHIND YOU, it really seems like this game's PvP is as much about trying to target the right people as it is actually fighting.

And obviously, I would much prefer to actually play against opponents instead of fighting with the UI.

This game very, very badly needs an improved tab-target system (no, 'target nearest enemy' is not sufficient) and badly needs the ability to target people by health bars / nameplates.

You can click on the nameplates...Turn on operation frames so they're all nice and lined up

Change tab to target next enemy. It works fine

You can click on the nameplates...Turn on operation frames so they're all nice and lined up

Change tab to target next enemy. It works fine

By "nameplate" I do not mean "operations unit frame". I mean "the name and health bar floating a foot above a player's head", which you cannot click on to target (notably quite unlike every other MMO).

When this is fixed will be a huge help in PvP. Not sure why the only guy in my screen and 2m away from me does not get targeted.

No doubt, I hope they're working on this. Its frustrating to hit tab and have the game target the guy 25m away where there is a guy 5m beating down one of your teammates.

It's not busted. Turn on Operation Frames and you can see all your party health bars. I have Height and Width set at 50% so they're a good bit larger.

As for tab targetting, change "Target next enemy" to tab. The only thing that's bad is the click targetting, NPCs/players have target boxes instead of just making what you see clickable, they have a box that can obstruct other targets making it impossible to click on them

No doubt, I hope they're working on this. Its frustrating to hit tab and have the game target the guy 25m away where there is a guy 5m beating down one of your teammates.

It's one of the complaints that I've never actually seen addressed or acknowledged by a developer, despite the current system reaping almost universal scorn from competitive players.

Honestly, I'm always shocked that more people don't complain about this on the forums...it was obvious to me (and frustrating to me) even while leveling!

all i get from reading this thread is that people are remarkably spoiled by WoW.

as a healer, it's not difficult to figure out who has the huttball. There's a giant purple or yellow beam shooting out of their head, and if you have nameplates turned on, right in the center of that beam is a name. you select the proper name from your raidframe, and you push your heal hotkey.

not particularly rocket surgery, if you ask me.

those asking for mouseovers? aggro indicators? target of target? these are all nice things that we wish we had, sure, but DEMANDING them? come on. all of those are quality of life issues that are not truly NEEDED at all.

all i get from reading this thread is that people are remarkably spoiled by WoW.

as a healer, it's not difficult to figure out who has the huttball. There's a giant purple or yellow beam shooting out of their head, and if you have nameplates turned on, right in the center of that beam is a name. you select the proper name from your raidframe, and you push your heal hotkey.

those asking for mouseovers? aggro indicators? target of target? these are all nice things that we wish we had, sure, but DEMANDING them? come on. all of those are quality of life issues that are not truly NEEDED at all.

Yeah how DARE they ask for features that should be in a game shipped in 2011? The nerve of these cretins to expect tab targetting to work like every other game before it like DAOC, Warhammer, and WoW! We should be happy to fight the UI to enjoy the game without frustration we would never know the feeling of enjoyment! I'm with ya 100%!

Edited by ihyln

Yeah how DARE they ask for features that should be in a game shipped in 2011? The nerve of these cretins to expect tab targetting to work like every other game before it like DAOC, Warhammer, and WoW! We should be happy to fight the UI to enjoy the game without frustration we would never know the feeling of enjoyment! I'm with ya 100%!

How dare we ask for the ability to easily target someone that has the ball instead of having to try to squint to read their names when 8 people are running in a little cluster throwing off tons of particle effects everywhere, and that person might actually have their name set to be something like "Gladiator Insanely-awkward Unreadable-name"!

LOL ****...yeah its so acceptable to have fail targeting, no /roll, no combat logs and a vast lack of such basic features.

Hebrew huh? With a name like that it says it all... damm Zionist.

/Click raid frame.

/press bound key on keyboard.

Why in God's name would you be trying to click on people in the game field to heal them? That's what raid frames are for...

Same thing with cycling friendly targets.

Why in the world would you be cycling through targets to heal?

One more time.

/Click raid frame.

/press bound key on keyboard.

You have a point. Healing is not impossible in this game right now, but mouse-over targeting would be a big quality of life upgrade IMHO.

You have a point. Healing is not impossible in this game right now, but mouse-over targeting would be a big quality of life upgrade IMHO.

Not impossible, just slow, frustrating, and awkward.

I will never understand people that think improving the UI is a bad thing. The goal is to play the game, not play against the UI. When the UI is seamless and does what you want it to, the overall skillcap of the game INCREASES. In PvP, most noticeably, but in PvE too. A better UI allows developers to make content that's harder, that requires better reaction time and faster target switching and greater situational awareness. That's not possible in the game today, because players are too limited by the awful UI and the terrible character responsiveness.

I mean...can you imagine doing hard mode Lich King in WoW with this UI, this targeting system, and this level of game responsiveness? It would be completely impossible.

Would it hurt you so much if BioWare included an 'advanced UI' option for those who like it? Then we'd have 2 UIs, 1 for people that like proper tab-targeting, and 1 for people like you. Solved - more choices benefits everyone.

Edited by RabidPopcorn

I've never played PVP and I'm struggling with the targeting system. I've only just started playing this game, it's my first ever MMO. I mostly play games on my xbox, but have played some on the computer. The targeting system and camera controls are absolute crap!!! I kill one guy, go to get the next and I can't do half the attacks cause I'm not close enough. Every other game I've played would move closer to him, or actually allow me to move closer to the target. This game, I run to him with the arrow keys, get to the right place, then I'm 10 metres away instantly, or just cannot manouver to the enemy. I''ve never played a game where the attack and movement were so uncoordinated. Perhaps its cause its my first MMO, but surely it shouldn't be this hard??? I have played other PC games with keyboard controls, all of which were easy to move and attack. I just cannot seem to get in range to attack without up to 30secs of movement adjustment, or only using ranged force attacks. I'm a jedi with a lightsabre, it would be great if I could actually use it sometimes. And the tab is useless. It keeps targeting enemies in other groups, not attacking me, when there are up to 5 people trying to kill me. I keep dying because it takes me so long to target, move to then attack the right guy. Driving me insane!!!

If anyone has some help or suggestions, that would be great. I heard that this was tough for new MMO players, with no tutorial or anything, but I've played heaps of other games, RPGs included, and this game is just so hard to play I'm ready to give up. Really frustrated, cause I was so looking forward to this game, and I really want to love it

As a healer i'm fine with raid frames. Cant see any problem.

It is tolerable to the extent that players can still complete end-game operations; but beyond that it could use a lot of improvement so players don't have to get annoyed every second they interact with targeting.

Trying to target people in warzones to heal is a nightmare...especially in Hutball..wow super frustrating at times. And raid frames suck too. Please fix the targeting system in this game. Its freaking 2012 already. There are better targeting systems on my iPad app games ..than in swtor.