The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Aric Jorgan is so weak, what's the use?

bumstah

After I got Elara, I never used anyone else. But at 50 I geared up both Dorne and Jorgan with my duplicate Champ/Columi gear. The difference in damagebetween the two is huge. Jorgan started hitting the big numbers and with his AOEs you decimate groups of mobs before they react.

The gear is very important for DPS companions. Not so much for Elara if you use her as a healer. I even did quests on Voss/Corelia using Dorne in her underwear. Just to see how it goes. We didn't die once, although there were a couple close calls. Try that trick with Jorgan and its like he is not with you at all.

I found it better to turn off Jorgans long-channel single target abilities. They are helpful against Strong/Elite but not so useful against groups of Normal/Weak. I even used Jorgan as offtank in a "Heroic 4" daily quest on Belsavis. He survives quite well.

Edited by Yun_Gemstone

Yeah his dps is very usefull for taking down packs, ive been running with him allot and found he's best when you order him to attack the strong/elite in packs while you take down the normals quickly. by the time your done he usually has the strong down to nearly nothing so it just requires a ion pulse zap to take down.

his damage is allot more then elara if geared.

Edited by Malrion

Weak? I've been using him since 10th. I'm 42 now.

It's lovely having a walking gun turret for a partner when you're a run-and-gun Assault Vanguard. I can tick off mobs so badly they ignore him completely while Jorgan gleefully burns them down from behind.

It's great when picking off big elites and such. Anything smaller and we just overwhelm it with sheer firepower.

I am Vanguard Shield Spec and stopped using Aric as soon as I got Elara. Because my damage output is low, I need the healing. The fights tend to be long but I rarely lose in PVE, even against groups of 3-4. At higher levels, Elara does some decent CC too.

I am now 50 and my gear is getting to be pretty good. Recently, I have been using Yuun in normal PVE versus regular mobs because his dps is excellent and the fights go much faster. When I gear him up, he will be even better. He seems to do much better dps than Aric. I think one of Aric's problems is that his activation times are ridiculously long.

Jorgan hits maybe a little harder than Dorne and has no heals. What is the point of using him? I remember he was decent but after I used Dorne he's useless.

I would like to use Jorgan. Why is his dps so low?

Get an Orange tiered cannon for him from the PvP vendor at level 20 (maybe lower, can't recall right now). Gear it out with mod,barrel, etc with an eye towards aim,crit, and surge. Gather gear for him the same way. Trust me, you'll see a difference in his DPS ;)

I am Vanguard Shield Spec and stopped using Aric as soon as I got Elara. Because my damage output is low, I need the healing. The fights tend to be long but I rarely lose in PVE, even against groups of 3-4. At higher levels, Elara does some decent CC too.

I am now 50 and my gear is getting to be pretty good. Recently, I have been using Yuun in normal PVE versus regular mobs because his dps is excellent and the fights go much faster. When I gear him up, he will be even better. He seems to do much better dps than Aric. I think one of Aric's problems is that his activation times are ridiculously long.

One thing I've noticed with Aric though is he can be two things.

You can set him up to focus on one mob. That's his default.

Or, you can swap him to area-effect mode. Aric will do stuff like spray down crowds with his cannon, fire explosive rounds, etc. etc. and his AE stance speeds him up and boosts the attacks. See how you like them. Yuun's more focused and straightforward fast as an infighter.

As a shield tank, Jorgan or Yuun is the best for most situations. Elara will double required time to kill, she wastes time with healing insignificant scratches instead of shooting.

True, but you never have to stop to rest. I get so sick of my companions taking damage, and having to rest in between pulls, I just can't use anyone except Elara anymore.

If you're taking significant companion damage, just either:

1) Outside, get on a speeder- then dismount. Instant 100% companion health.

2) Swap companions, then swap back on the crew menu if they're at low health. Faster than Reloading them up to full from there. Finally, something C2-N2 is good for!

True, but you never have to stop to rest. I get so sick of my companions taking damage, and having to rest in between pulls, I just can't use anyone except Elara anymore.

Rest is like 2-8 seconds of downtime, Elara draws the fight out longer by 10-30 seconds. It's just more efficient for a tank to run with a DPS companion. Elite mobs are still balanced no matter what for a single player and any companion.

I do use Elara if I plan on attempting to solo a single Champion mob.

Edited by RocNessMonster

I love Aric. Appart from upgrading a cannon for him from time to time he is perfect to have at your side.

He gets all my leftover armour so he and I are about the same level when we run around. I'm level 25 (assault tree) now and he has been by my side all the time when I'm in the field.

I tried using the ex-Imp girl but she and I got killed pretty quick. She since been used to run treasure missions.

Perhaps its a matter of which skill tree you use and the best companion for you.