OPS Loot Nonsense!!!

Go DDO style, all drops show up in a chest. Within that chest players who are awarded items can choose to give that item from within the chest to another player before looting.

Done and Done..

its like these people never played other MMOs.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

tbh i have no problem with the loot rule for normal mode per say, yes its frustrating not getting loot coz its assigned to soe1 that already has it but it does stop ninja looting in pugs. i raid 16 man with guild on sunday first time on sith side and had no columi sure it was frustrating i didnt get other bits cos those that did had them assigned to them but had them mulitple times i could of had a full set of columi had loot rule been different. u jsut have to deal with it. and also it makes u go back and keep gonig back to gear,

if gear is the only reason u raid perhaps u should do hm instead. i raid any diffiulty is i was geared for it not to get the gear but for the challenges and fun of it. couldnt care less if it takes me 1 ops run or 20 for full set

Aren't they fixing this in 1.2? I ran a group of new 50s through Eternity Vault last night, and it was pretty frustrating how I got loot on almost every boss, whereas the new consular healer got NOTHING. It would be awesome if they let us trade this stuff like WoW eventually did.

Yeah, and honestly hard mode isn't really "the answer" to the issue either. Sure you can assign the pieces but the classes of those pieces are still pre-determined by the loot generator. So you could still have the issue of the class type assigned to that gear token not being the one desired even though you can assign it to whoever you want. For example, I've been running my sniper in hard mode ops, and we have a lot of BH's and SI's that make up the rest of our raid usually. And for each boss, we usually get either two BH tokens or two SI tokens. Out of several runs, I think one IA boot token has dropped.

It also goes for Flashpoints....if you want to get someone a specific Columi piece to finish out their gear, you have no control on whether that whole run will have been wasted for nothing or not becuase it could be assigned to another class that doesn't need it.

It would be better if they were general gear tokens, like a general boot token, general glove token, etc. That way it could be assigned to anybody, any class, and they could turn it in for whatever class/spec they want.

That would guarantee that no loot ever gets "wasted".

The loot system for normal mode OPs can be extremely frustrating, but to be honest, if you want actual control over your Columi loot then go run HM Flashpoints for it. If you want control over the other-than Columi gear in normal mode then go to the GTN and buy player-made equivalent (or often times better) gear.

Normal mode ops (to me) seem to be nothing more than a way to let pugs run Ops without much frustration and/or a way to quickly learn the mechanics of a fight for HM+.

In my opinoin, they really should just add in an option to allow people to "opt out" of the gear drops for an encounter so that the person with eight sets of boots can say, "Hey, I really don't need another set of boots, I'll opt out of gear drops on this fight and let the others that are wearing sandals have a chance at them."

HM/NMM isnt any better. We have ONE Sith Warrior in our raids. Yet EVERY FRIGGIN TIME at least half the bosses will drop double SW. At this point everyone's STR companions are in rakata.

Does it make any sense for companions to be in full rataka while our inquisitors are lucky to get one piece per week?

Edited by Havocx

The loot system for normal mode OPs can be extremely frustrating, but to be honest, if you want actual control over your Columi loot then go run HM Flashpoints for it. If you want control over the other-than Columi gear in normal mode then go to the GTN and buy player-made equivalent (or often times better) gear.

Normal mode ops (to me) seem to be nothing more than a way to let pugs run Ops without much frustration and/or a way to quickly learn the mechanics of a fight for HM+.

In my opinoin, they really should just add in an option to allow people to "opt out" of the gear drops for an encounter so that the person with eight sets of boots can say, "Hey, I really don't need another set of boots, I'll opt out of gear drops on this fight and let the others that are wearing sandals have a chance at them."

FP's aren't absolute control by a long shot. It can still generate the token for a class that doesn't need it and until 1.2 comes out the token could be for a class that isn't even in your group.

Opt-ing out is kind-of complicated, seems to me. Best is to have a "Columi Boot Token" or "Columi _______ Token" or "Rakata Boot Token"/"Rakata ______ Token" (whatever armor set that happens to be current to the raid you are running). The master looter can assign it to whoever/whichever class. You don't have people getting multiple/wasted gear while everyone else is lagging behind, wasting weeks of possible progression.

Sure you can have people leave group before a boss kill or before a chest is opened but that is so annoying and tedious, just is too much nonsense for something that should be simple and straightforward.

FP's aren't absolute control by a long shot. It can still generate the token for a class that doesn't need it and until 1.2 comes out the token could be for a class that isn't even in your group.

Opt-ing out is kind-of complicated, seems to me. Best is to have a "Columi Boot Token" or "Columi _______ Token" or "Rakata Boot Token"/"Rakata ______ Token" (whatever armor set that happens to be current to the raid you are running). The master looter can assign it to whoever/whichever class. You don't have people getting multiple/wasted gear while everyone else is lagging behind, wasting weeks of possible progression.

Sure you can have people leave group before a boss kill or before a chest is opened but that is so annoying and tedious, just is too much nonsense for something that should be simple and straightforward.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that FP's aren't absolute control, but for Columi gear they are a much better choice than NM operations. You CAN have 7 possible chances at a single piece of gear a week (not that I'd expect anyone to run the same FP 7 days a week).

A general generic token can be a bad thing though as well as far as the game designers go. A general token drop would ensure that everyone in a group would be completely geared out in a month. With everyone in full top-end gear there is no reward for them to continue running these operations and they get bored. Bored people try new things and possibly drop subscriptions. While I don't agree with the loot grind, the randomness of it has to stay for the sustainability of a game like this.

Now, if they could produce new content every two - three months then I could agree that a generic token would be a great addition as far as BW is concerned. We all know though that to sustain that much new content is simply not feasible and the randomness of gear distribution buys the developers time to create new content.

Predestined loot is going away with 1.2, until then you have 3 choices:

a. Do HM Ops

b. Deal with the bad system

c. Don't raid

Before you respond with the inevitable troll response, those are the facts and they don't lie. Complaining further about a system that is already slated to go away is fruitless and unnecessary.

HM/NMM isnt any better. We have ONE Sith Warrior in our raids. Yet EVERY FRIGGIN TIME at least half the bosses will drop double SW. At this point everyone's STR companions are in rakata.

Does it make any sense for companions to be in full rataka while our inquisitors are lucky to get one piece per week?

got (at least) 3 agent rakata pieces with no agents in raid at all... hms def arent better, I'd go as far as to say they're worse.

My guild has been doing flashpoints and raids for over a month now and all we ever get to drop is the Consular tokens. And we have no Consular 50s. Shocking I know!

1.2 better change all this. Gearing up in this game has been very very slow.

P.s. Jorgan looks awesome in a Full Columi set.

The system is fine, its purely a psychological issue. If the system looked at what people have, and somehow intelligently saw if someone needed it (including for companions, offspec...basically if the game could read their mind), and just did the same roll as now, but not drop the item at all if the person doesn't need it, no one would be complaining right now.

The amount of loot dropped in normal mode vs the difficulty is absurd. The only reason its acceptable is because of the limitation.

Already with people dropping group in guilds to powerloot the people who "truly need it", you can gear up anyone to the point they can do nightmare mode in a single week. Run EV and Karaggas exactly once with most people dropping group right before the boss dies or before opening chest, and they're ready for hardmode big time. Then one run of each hardmode passing everything they can use to them, and with average luck, they'll be more than decked out enough to do anything.

With normal modes taking 1-2 hours top, you can do all of the above in 2-3 days in a casual guild. And people want it to be even easier than that?

Ok, let normal mode use a normal looting system, but slash the amount of loot that drops in half. Better? No? then lets just cut the chase. Anyone who finishes EV Normal gets a box with a full set of columi. There we go.

Honestly the best solution would be to use a Monster Hunter style loot system... everyone get stuff, which after a while can be combined to get anything you want of the appropriate tier.

I laughed because its 100% true. By the tone of some of the people in this thread, it seems like they are asking for a box to drop from the last boss that has the full set for them to have. Its called RNG, get over it.

a. Do HM Ops

c. Don't raid

Before you respond with the inevitable troll response, those are the facts and they don't lie. Complaining further about a system that is already slated to go away is fruitless and unnecessary.

From what I read of the release notes, I think you are painting with too broad of a brush. Predestined loot isn't completely going away, in the sense that it will still be for a certain class if not for a certain person, just the way hard mode ops distribution is now. With 1.2 it will supposedly recognize the classes that are actually in the group so you won't be getting IA pieces when no-one in the group/raid is an IA. Likes last night, I happened to go on my Sorc to heal instead of my usual sniper, and ofcourse a bunch of IA stuff dropped when we didn't have any IA at all in the group. *sigh*

But 1.2 still doesn't solve the problem of repeatedly getting drops for one or two specific classes when those classes may not need it anymore and there are others in the raid that do. For instance, so far we've had the loot distribution tilted in favor of BH's for the most part. They'll all be done at this rate in another couple raids, while others haven't gotten much at all.

And to another poster, I'm not sure I really buy the argument that having general gear tokens assignable to any class would be bad for the game and make people stop playing after they get their gear. Will it make people want to play more if they continually get shafted because the tokens that drop aren't for their class so they are lagging behind? Is it really a common opinion that they guage how long people will keep playing based on built-in time prolongers like duplicate loot for classes that don't need it?

I'd just like to point out a couple things from the release notes in case anyone missed them (source: http://www.swtor.com/test-center/patchnotes):

•The Exit Area ability is now interrupted when damage is taken.

•Loot drops from endgame activities, such as Operations and Flashpoints, now take group composition into account.

That's it. If anyone has some supplementary information, that would be great. But from the official source, I don't see that 1.2 is "fixing everything". Sure, it is supposed to recognize the classes in the group/raid, but you'll still have people getting duplicates. And now that it appears that "Exit Area" will be much more difficult to do on boss fights, that takes a little bit of viability away from that route. Call me old fashioned, but I like the old method of having a general gear token that can be assigned to anyone so that we aren't constantly wasting gear on companions because some classes that the gear drops for have already gotten that piece a couple times. If you have raided hard mode operations, you know this happens unless your group has had extremely good luck. Is that not a reasonable wish and not just QQ as everyone likes to say?

its only like that in Normal Mode ops.In HM and NM you can assign loot to players.

It is still assigned to certain classes in hard mode and nightmare mode ops. Have you run hard mode ops and been the master looter? When you loot the boss or the chest, you'll see two Rakata barter tokens (more in nightmare?) and each one will be specifically for a certain class. You can assign that to anyone, sure, but if the two pieces are auto-assigned to a BH class, and your BH's have already gotten all their pieces, but you still have SI's, SW, and a IA in the raid, then that loot is effectively wasted because the people that needed the piece didn't have their class assigned to the barter item. I get the impression that people don't understand this and are therefore dismissing anyones concerns about the system, even after 1.2 comes out.

a. Do HM Ops

c. Don't raid

Pretty much this. It's one reason I don't pug normal Ops anymore on my JK (who is almost full rakata geared) since someone who may actually need the piece I win won't get it. :(

This is just another example of what lazy and no-brainer programmers do to deal with RNG, throwing everything into a simple RNG subroutine. They don't have to think and check and debug, just SIMPLY RNG EVERYTHING. They only need one simple line of source code to get highly paid. Customers? Player Satisfaction? Do these affect their payrolls?

My guild wanted to help me gearing up so they brought me to both EV/KP Normal while the rest of them are mostly Rakata geared. Know what happened? Everyone of them get some Columi (most of them what I need) and I only got one piece, but that is the only one piece I already had .... So, basically clearing 2 ops and I got nothing while those who need nothing got all I needed ... MOST STUPID THINGS I HAVE EVER SEEN IN A RAID.

Now it becomes a stupid idea to help fresh 50s gearing up with this no-brainer system.

People are starting to notice everything wrong in the game. We all sit back and hope 1.2 will change it. Who knows, it might. Then again, I've been here since day 1, along with the other 1 million people who have and I am still seeing the same problems in Ops and Flashpoints.

Why are you waiting 4 months down the road to fix any of them? Logic says, if its broken, fix it. Don't wait 1 day, 1 week, or 4 months. You fix the problem right then. Don't say, "Its coming in patch 1.2." People don't like waiting for major problems to be fixed later down the road.

I personally used to enjoy this game. I enjoyed the story at the start. I enjoyed the story at end game. But with all the problems going on within the game and server its not feeling like a polished game.

Its to easy. Make it happen.

Hello there!

We saw this thread and thought you might be interested in the Guild Summit Video on Operations, which addresses this topic. You can find the topic of destined loot starting around the 4:24 time stamp:

Hope this helps answer some of your questions!

Edited by Trineda