The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Cross Server WZ

Grunergeist

Considering I actually want to nurture a SERVER-specific community, I am not excited at all

Server merge before cross-server WZs, imo.

I love that the PvP in this game promotes a community on a server. You regularly recognize the people you're playing with and against, and it makes the games more meaningful. I was excited about faster queues when WoW did x-server games, but after a couple months I found everything we gave up for those fast queues just wasn't worth it. Quality > quantity.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

World PvP is great. But most people prefer small, even numbers facing off against each other. Basketball is 5v5, baseball is 9v9 (10v10 with a DH), football is 11v11, hockey is 6v6, soccer is 11v11. How awful would these sports be if it were 100v100 or 50v50 or 40v12. I want to play PvP like its a sport, not like its a convention.

That's what arenas are for...

Warzones are in a sorry state atm. Why do you think they toss levels 10-49 all together. It would be nice if it was just server based only but there are sever problems with that, hence BW's decision to go cross server queing.

Edited by OgKiller

I'm not a fan of x-server anything. I remember back in DAoC when they clustered servers in the realms, it killed the experience for me, and I gave up the game shortly after. I love rivalries and making a name for ones self and guild on a server. That by far is more important for me than faster queue times.

Tired off having level 10-49 all clumped together in warzones? Want more elaborate warzones in the future? Can you imagine having epic 50v50 and 100v100 warzones matches added to this game? Want to be able to que for these in under a minute at 3 am? Well stop wishing because cross server queing is coming and will make this all possible.

Let me break down why you are ignorant.

* Tired off having level 10-49 all clumped together in warzones?

No, I'm not tired of this, very few people care about low level Warzones.

* Want more elaborate warzones in the future?

What the hell does cross-server warzones have to do with designing maps?

* Can you imagine having epic 50v50 and 100v100 warzones matches added to this game?

Yes I can imagine it. And it sounds like a laggy ****fest.

* Want to be able to que for these in under a minute at 3 am?

First off you assume you know how the queue system works now, and that the only reason why an instance isn't spawned for you to join is because there are not enough people queuing for that instance. If Bioware took the threshhold off of Huttball matches that prevent people in the empire queue from immediately being paired up to go against one another (the way it was at launch) queue times would be near instant (the way it was at launch).

* Well stop wishing because cross server queing is coming and will make this all possible.

Cross-server queuing solves no problems. Since all the servers are empire-dominated summing them together still gives you a player pool that is empire dominated and hence will still spawn endless amounts of huttball matches for empire players. The only way this could possibly help your server is if it can't manage to get 16 people to queue for a warzone, in which case you need a server merge more than you need cross-server warzones.

Cross server anything leads to a population of ******es because people think:

"Hey if I'm an ******e to people it won't matter cause I will very likely never see these people again."

The warzones will turn bitter with everyone angry at everyone else because they suck and lost the match.

If a person does this now, they have to live with a reputation of it. Cross server ******tery = no consequences.

Happened in wow, will happen again.

Not to mention this destroys any sense of server pvp community that exists.

Let me break down why you are ignorant.

* Tired off having level 10-49 all clumped together in warzones?

No, I'm not tired of this, very few people care about low level Warzones.

* Want more elaborate warzones in the future?

What the hell does cross-server warzones have to do with designing maps?

* Can you imagine having epic 50v50 and 100v100 warzones matches added to this game?

Yes I can imagine it. And it sounds like a laggy ****fest.

* Want to be able to que for these in under a minute at 3 am?

First off you assume you know how the queue system works now, and that the only reason why an instance isn't spawned for you to join is because there are not enough people queuing for that instance. If Bioware took the threshhold off of Huttball matches that prevent people in the empire queue from immediately being paired up to go against one another (the way it was at launch) queue times would be near instant (the way it was at launch).

* Well stop wishing because cross server queing is coming and will make this all possible.

Cross-server queuing solves no problems. Since all the servers are empire-dominated summing them together still gives you a player pool that is empire dominated and hence will still spawn endless amounts of huttball matches for empire players. The only way this could possibly help your server is if it can't manage to get 16 people to queue for a warzone, in which case you need a server merge more than you need cross-server warzones.

I want to know what a server capacity limit is. Yes, I heard the interview where the developer says 80k-100k people. If that were the case, than I would say screw x-server ques, I want to merge servers. I can tell you that I am on a Heavy server and there are probably 2,500 players per faction. Is a capped server 5k per faction?? If so than don't you see a problem which will hinder varied and diverse warzones from development in the future?

People complain that x-server queing will cause people to leave warzones more so than they do now. I'm sure BW will install a 15 min penatly debuff for this in the future. People complain that warzones will be less personal. Well isn't that what world pvp is for?

And if having 50v50 and 100v100 warzones is too laggy for you... its 2012, get a new computer. How do you deal with Ilum? The SWTOR commercial shows hundreds of Republicans facing off against hundreds of Imperials. I want to do that. If we can't do that than its false advertisment.

Edited by OgKiller

Cross server anything leads to a population of ******es because people think:

"Hey if I'm an ******e to people it won't matter cause I will very likely never see these people again."

The warzones will turn bitter with everyone angry at everyone else because they suck and lost the match.

If a person does this now, they have to live with a reputation of it. Cross server ******tery = no consequences.

Happened in wow, will happen again.

Not to mention this destroys any sense of server pvp community that exists.

^this

And if having 50v50 and 100v100 warzones is too laggy for you... its 2012, get a new computer. How do you deal with Ilum?

It's 2012, how do you not know what a server is and does?

People complain that warzones will be less personal. Well isn't that what world pvp is for?

And why does it have to be one or the other? Do people say "Why have raids? Isn't that what dailies are for?" I like to know the people I go up against in world PvP. As it turns out, I also like to know the people I go up against in instanced PvP.

Edited by mechintel

Anyone else very excited to see that they will be implementing cross server warzones?

I personally think they should of launched with this and cross server lfg Q's, but at least they seem to be moving that way...

Where are you seeing this? I can't find a dev post saying they are implementing cross server warzones?

Who said this was happening? I think OP is trolling. Gotta link?

Simoon: Will you be adding the option to choose what Warzone you enter a queue for?

Gabe Amatangelo: Not until we introduce cross server queuing. If we were to allow players to choose their Warzone before they could queue across servers, then it would negatively affect how often every player would see a Warzone – and for every player that loves a certain Warzone there is another player that hates it. The population would end up divided by their Warzone choice, negatively affecting the time it would take for a specific Warzone to become available for anyone. With cross server queuing we will still have a preference to match players of the same server, but those players who choose specific preferences such as these will likely end up in a match with players in the larger Wargroup.

Source

Edited by mechintel

Daniel Erickson: We’ve been pleasantly surprised at how popular PvP is in The Old Republic and we’ve been doubling down on our efforts to bring exciting new content and systems to the PvP community. Right now there’s a new Warzone planned for Game Update 1.2 which we’re already testing internally and really enjoying. We can say it’s enabled for same faction vs. same faction play, so if you’ve been playing a lot of Huttball, expect some variety soon! Also coming in 1.2 is the pre-season of our Warzone ranking system, bringing better matchmaking which means better PvP. In the future expect a ton more PvP news as we expand and polish what has proven to be one of the most popular aspects of The Old Republic. We’ve got big plans.

Source

That says nothing about cross-server wz's

Merging low-pop servers will save much more than instanced PvP for them. It will also save PvE and World PvP for them. So why not use that solution instead?

I agree with that 100% as in WAR I got merged twice...but I am trying to stay in the context of this particular discussion.

But server merges bring about a lot of other issues, and I don't want to possibly dilute the topic.

I agree with that 100% as in WAR I got merged twice...but I am trying to stay in the context of this particular discussion.

But server merges bring about a lot of other issues, and I don't want to possibly dilute the topic.

It seems relevant to the topic at hand, which is why I bring it up as an alternative solution to cross-server warzones.

It seems the people who are most upset with the current queuing system are those who have small populations on their server. So why make changes that negatively affect servers that are content with their pvp in order to fix problems that other servers are having?

BW already made the decision to go cross-server warzone queing in 1.2 patch.

Wrong for two reasons.

1) They never mention that this will be a feature of 1.2, they only stated that it would be something they would like to add before giving people the ability to queue for specific warzones (which is also not an announced feature of 1.2)

2) Just because something is mentioned in a developer blog or Q&A does not mean Bioware cannot later change their mind if they realize that the community does not want it. Hence a lively debate on the pros and cons of the system is perfectly valid to have on a forum whose sole purpose is to discuss aspects of the game.

So Gabe is going for total annihilation of PvP in this game I see?

WZ cross server que's will make WZ's a repugnant as Medal of Honor on XBOX.

Full of vile non-human scum who will ruin the match and never be seen again. Cross server WZ's are an invitation to unlimited griefsters.

The day they introduce that will be a sad sad day.

Two points though.

1) On republic side I am getting kind of sick of seeing the same clowns on my team every single game. Not that they are bad or anything... it's almost like we are the only 8 guys on the server. So cross server PVP will solve that.

2) Based on the speed of this development team.... you will get cross server WZ's sometime in 2014.

a) cross server PVE isn't happening, qq.

b) how anyone that did a little bit of maths at school can think that in a game where EVERY server has a huge Empire population and a small Republic population that adding cross server is going to fix queue times in any way other than giving you EVEN more Huttball, is way over my head.

Frankly if you don't get why so many hate cross server PVE then it wouldn't shock me to hear that you're part of the problem.

Actually if you knew math you would know if the ratio of Imp:Republic stayed the same even with cross server Q's then you wouldnt get EVEN more huttball, you would simply get the same amount of huttball.

Anyone else very excited to see that they will be implementing cross server warzones?

I personally think they should of launched with this and cross server lfg Q's, but at least they seem to be moving that way...

Yeah, I'm really excited about a lack of stability of how many people are even in a match locally, I can only imagine how bad they will screw up cross server talk.