pve builds for scoundrel

karmacanic

hi all

at the mo, im running a scrapper pvp build, but ive just been offered a place in a ops guild, and surprisingly, they dont want me to heal.

so my question is..is a scrapper build good for pve dps or should i look in dirty fighting for the best dps in a pve situ?

Scrapper pve spec

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#7010cZGMGodkbffzZhMb.1

Works fine for me and dont let people saying "scrappers are bad after the nerf" scare you off cause thats a load of bull and scrappers are still very viable for pve, but you will feel weak untill you get some gear and a 4 set.

stats I went for are accuracy, crit and power and that feels the best way atm ( feeling is all you have atm since there are no combat logs anyway) but you gotta figure that out for yourself.

Dont even try dirty fighting cause its very disappointing compared to scrapper and as long as it doesnt have a ranged upper hand gain its just pointless.

raiding both raids in nightmare and the dmg output looks perfectly on par with others to me.

Edited by Jonvuu

I suggest a hybrid of the two trees only taking skills that help damage.

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/smuggler/scoundrel/#::f2ef17e3fe2f2ef2efedefef3efefef2e4f2ef3e

Vital shot and Shrap bomb can tick off massive damage and Sucker Punch > Wounding Shots because of locations in the trees and less energy. I run with this 3 tree set atm and love watching the damage drop on 3 targets: http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/smuggler/scoundrel/#::f2efefe2f10ef5e2f2ef4ef2def3ef2e2f2e3cf2efefe

The top of the Scrapper tree is just garbage post nerf. 1.5 sec knockdown, 2 sec root, 30% more crit damage but just on backblast (9sec cooldown), flechette, shoot first or tendon blast(low damage anyway so not rotated for damage), 3% more bleed, flying fists on 50% chance randomness and loads of survivability skills that don't add damage.

I haven't ran with a full dirty fighting spec but ppl here say its worthless because its energy and upper hand starved. I can see just from reading that it would have problems.

Edited by vartius

I suggest a hybrid of the two trees only taking skills that help damage.

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/smuggler/scoundrel/#::f2ef17e3fe2f2ef2efedefef3efefef2e4f2ef3e

Vital shot and Shrap bomb can tick off massive damage and Sucker Punch > Wounding Shots because of locations in the trees and less energy. I run with this 3 tree set atm and love watching the damage drop on 3 targets: http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/smuggler/scoundrel/#::f2efefe2f10ef5e2f2ef4ef2def3ef2e2f2e3cf2efefe

The top of the Scrapper tree is just garbage post nerf. 1.5 sec knockdown, 2 sec root, 30% more crit damage but just on backblast (9sec cooldown), flechette, shoot first or tendon blast(low damage anyway so not rotated for damage), 3% more bleed, flying fists on 50% chance randomness and loads of survivability skills that don't add damage.

I haven't ran with a full dirty fighting spec but ppl here say its worthless because its energy and upper hand starved. I can see just from reading that it would have problems.

I am sorry but those are the worst two builds I have ever seen.

I drive the Imperials crazy and they send 5 guys and lose Civil War just to chase me down and kill me when I pop out of Stealth and face plant one of them.

I have all points in the Scrapper tree and 3 in Cunning. My only complaint is we need a charge or a speed boost to catch a running target or get away.

As a Scrapper you have to do the Shoot First then Vital Shot then Back Blast with Flechette round so the bleed is increased. Then run around the target and use Knock Out and Dirty Kick. When they cast use Distract to ruin that spell and they go into shock when you run away and throw a bomb. But run right back at them and hit Disappearing Act and reload Flechette round and splat them on face again and start over.

If you do this right they are toast. Also works on Elites very well also.

I drive the Imperials crazy and they send 5 guys and lose Civil War just to chase me down and kill me when I pop out of Stealth and face plant one of them.

I have all points in the Scrapper tree and 3 in Cunning. My only complaint is we need a charge or a speed boost to catch a running target or get away.

As a Scrapper you have to do the Shoot First then Vital Shot then Back Blast with Flechette round so the bleed is increased. Then run around the target and use Knock Out and Dirty Kick. When they cast use Distract to ruin that spell and they go into shock when you run away and throw a bomb. But run right back at them and hit Disappearing Act and reload Flechette round and splat them on face again and start over.

It's all well and good what you're saying my friend but from what I understand, you're talking about pvp stuff (sorry for my poor english if I misunderstood).

The OP however is asking for a pve build.

Personally, I find vartius's hybrid build interesting. I might give it a try. But I would pick sneaky over brawler's grit (i think we have enough endurance in operations) and stealth actually feels weak when soloing without "sneaky". Also, the alacrity talent isn't worth it.

I've been thinking for a while about if it's worth putting 4 talent points in Flying Fists and Round Two just for a 50% chance to add a weak second punch and regrant upper hand. In my regular scrapper build, I couldn't find any viable dps talents to choose over them but in vartius's build, I could ditch those two and choose more dps talents in DF tree.

The end result would look something like this:

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/smuggler/scoundrel/#::f2ef2ef16ef2ef2ef4efe3fe3fefef2e4fef2efe:

I might tweak it more though.

Edited by Mangetsu

You think imps like me when I drop ~2k dot damage snare bombs on 3 and rot away their hps with vital's ~2.5k and thermal spam? Then they really like when I duck to line of sight cover, melee 1v1 if someone follows or pop back out at max range and continue raining down damage? And you use your Disappearing act cooldown to kill ONE enemy? If 5 imps are chasing you its because they are farming you since you have no way to escape. I use my disappearing act to kite 5 imps away from objectives then leave them in the dust while they rot and I regen for another pass.

Disappearing Act works on elites? Yeah to heal them, unless you are in a group where your sustained damage is worthless as a full scrapper build. Learn to add. I have pulled agro off of a raid tank and have to use surrender from my sustained damage mid-fight.

Scrapper tree only has a few skills that add noticeable damage - Browbeater, Element of Surprise, SuckerPunch, Under Dog and Flechette. The cost for Under Dog and Flechette is not worth the price and it only helps shoot first and backblast, which have their own lousy conditions to even use. (invis + back or back & 9sec cooldown)

- Mange: Yeah I roll with 2/sneaky on my base build but it doesn't provide much in a group setting when he stated his role is DPS. The next thing I may swap on my base build is anatomy lessons (vital shot -4 energy from 20 base) from smuggled technlogy (-70% pushback & -10% heal agro)

Edited by vartius

I'm really liking my pure DF spec. I was playing scrapper and whenever my ops group got to the infernal council I was always the last to down my target and I was better geared than a good majority of the group. Just last night I switched to DF and I noticed a HUGE increase to my DPS. It was essentially the same ops group and I downed my council member first. Everything was the same from my last run except I ran DF.

Yes DF is energy hungry but there is a definite playstyle that is viable. Getting the cool head cooldown bonus is huge. I find it also helps to delay putting up pugnacity due to the talent giving 16 energy back instantly. getting crit is also very important as each bleed tick crit restores energy.

basically, DF is THE PvE dps build for the scoundrel and is a lot more viable than the scrapper and a lot more viable then the people on the forums would lead you to believe. Give DF a chance and you will not go wrong.

Edit:

I feel people should stop seeing cool head as a "oh **** I ran out of energy button" and more as an extra resource that will maximize a person's DPS. I tend to burn through energy really fast, not get Pugnacity immediately in favor of casting Wounding Shots. Once my energy is nearly depleted I pop Cool Head and my energy is basically back to full. I then use pugnacity now that DoT's are really adding up and then just go at a steady pace, making sure my dot's are still up.

Edited by TyrantOfNordberg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.