MO maybe. MMO. No

battlehobo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about the mission but what does you question have to do with the title?

He's basically saying this game is a single-player game and every single-player game needs a pause button.

Ergo; he is wondering when they will be putting in a pause button for SWTOR.

So when is that pause button getting patched in for the Panzer Dragoon missions? Honestly, if its just me and the AI then its single player and I might like to get up for a drink....

If you read the OP's post ^

You will see they are talking about Space Missions.

You don't quite grasp that.

M - Massive

M - Multiplayer

O - Online.

Means,

The massive is referring to the multi-player aspect, not the size of the game.

Do you?

Again. READ. Talking about wanting to pause Space Missions.

Where is the Massive, Multiplayer (or the need for Online) in Space Missions?

So when is that pause button getting patched in for the Panzer Dragoon missions? Honestly, if its just me and the AI then its single player and I might like to get up for a drink....

How about you get your drink go to the toilet etc before you start?

Despite your conception that it is a SP instance, space combat is MP. You can chat to anyone while in the instance, though reading what they say back is lost until the mission is over. Now if you need to pause in the middle of a 5 minute long space mission, that's your problem. Most of us (I take liberties in that) plan ahead.

You don't quite grasp that.

M - Massive

M - Multiplayer

O - Online.

Means,

The massive is referring to the multi-player aspect, not the size of the game.

Do you?

i thought the multiplayer part was the thing that refers to the multiplayer aspect.....

i thought the multiplayer part was the thing that refers to the multiplayer aspect.....

Massively is an adverb, modifying the adjective Multiplayer, which modifies the noun Game. This game is multiplayer since it allows for multiple players at once. It is Massively multiplayer because the server and the worlds are persistent and many players can be on the server and interact at any given time, as opposed to other online games that create a new map for every "game".

Again. READ. Talking about wanting to pause Space Missions.

Where is the Massive, Multiplayer (or the need for Online) in Space Missions?

Are space missions the majority of the game? If so, since when? He is trying to state that this entire game is not an MMO but MO. While it is an MO, it most certainly is an MMO as well. Just because thee are aspects where you are alone, doesn't mean that the entire game is as bleak as he is making it out to be.

Massively is an adverb, modifying the adjective Multiplayer, which modifies the noun Game. This game is multiplayer since it allows for multiple players at once. It is Massively multiplayer because the server and the worlds are persistent and many players can be on the server and interact at any given time, as opposed to other online games that create a new map for every "game".

i was refering to the guy who claim the massive part stands for multiplayer when he always said the other M stands for multiplayer...

and yes, mmo stands for a persisent game world that allows players to interact with alot of people at the same time without restrictions...

the game however, is too sharded to be consider a true mmo...

Are space missions the majority of the game? If so, since when? He is trying to state that this entire game is not an MMO but MO. While it is an MO, it most certainly is an MMO as well. Just because thee are aspects where you are alone, doesn't mean that the entire game is as bleak as he is making it out to be.

Depends on your server.

It is, by definition, an MMO... why waste your energy arguing with someone about that?

It is funny, the topic title that is.

mostly because, I rolled a PvP server...guess how much "PvP there is outside of WZs...

hmm.

None.

They separated the questing in all the zones

Daily Quests are separated in the zones

There is no way to get near the other player city (fleet) and antagonize/start something

I guess I'm just disappointed that my PvP server means nothing

i was refering to the guy who claim the massive part stands for multiplayer when he always said the other M stands for multiplayer...

and yes, mmo stands for a persisent game world that allows players to interact with alot of people at the same time without restrictions...

the game however, is too sharded to be consider a true mmo...

Denying that SWTOR is an MMO is a fad argument used to point out features one doesn't like, but it is factually incorrect.

Edited by Aussircaex

you know what massively multiplayer online means right?

it means your playing with a massive amount of other people from around the world online at any one time.

SWTOR is an mmo...sorry dude. But it is. No matter how much you want to spin it. Other people are online playing with other people.

But to you..its always going to be just a single player game.

Gotta love the ones who play through it all solo, never use any mmo aspects of anything then go "WHERES THE MMO PARTS!?" lol... whatev...just...whatev

it means your playing with a massive amount of other people from around the world online at any one time.

SWTOR is an mmo...sorry dude. But it is. No matter how much you want to spin it. Other people are online playing with other people.

Gotta love the ones who play through it all solo, never use any mmo aspects of anything then go "WHERES THE MMO PARTS!?" lol... whatev...just...whatev

where is the massive amount of other people you play with again? 16 players in warzone? 4 players in flashpoint? 16 players operation? I played with more people at one time on counter strike than swtor... and you don't see people calling counter strike massive first person shooter.

Even in today's wow you can raid enemy captial cities with 40 players.... Where is the massive part in swtor? They even sharded the cities so there is a limited amount of players you can see and interact at one time ffs

Edited by edgalor

where is the massive amount of other people you play with again? 16 players in warzone? 4 players in flashpoint? 16 players operation? I played with more people at one time on counter strike than swtor... and you don't see people calling counter strike massive first person shooter.

Even in today's wow you can raid enemy captial cities with 40 players.... Where is the massive part in swtor? They even sharded the cities so there is a limited amount of players you can see and interact at one time ffs

If you go to Ilum you will find much more of 40 players fighting each other..

actually thats only half true!

Thats the WOW version.

MMO = massively multiplayer Online also speaks to interaction and community inside the servers/game!

If its just numbers playing togather but apart, why bother? Whats the diff from a Multiplayer game like Diablo?

This is not a single player game and anyone making that claim is instantly discreditted.

You can level up solo but you cant do everything solo

But the more I play

The more I see the players ignore each other mostly

The more I think of TOR as a Multiplayer game.

If you had sold this game to me as a 4 person multiplayer game (say running off of a battlenet type launch board where you enter a online chat room and gather a group togather, or guilds make their own channels and gather in there) with microtransaction upgradeing content.

I think Id be in love with this game.

Head over heels blown away by it and thrilled for countless months and id gladly of paid for updates so me and my friends could play togather inside its setting.

Course that way you would also never have to compete for chests and spawns and what not.

But the more I play, the more it really does feel Bioware has missed the entire meaning of Massively Multiplayer.

I said in my very first feedback to them in beta that the game was awsome but right from word go I was worried it couldnt hold its ground as a MMORPG.

And beta had a much more lively and active community interacting with each other then release has.

I log in, join my friend I play with and we basically ignore everyone else and do our thing.

Between the two of us we have every craft covered (some of the reasource gathering skills are covered twice and trice over).

There simply is no reason for us to interact with people and since almost no one talks on general (this my 3rd server and all 3 are the same. General is dead by end of Coruscant or Dromman Kaas).

TOR lacks the Massive part of equation.

Having 1000s of players is not enough if they dont actually interact and create a community.

Oh im sure someone will come along and claim their server is the exception but ill bet a dollar a donut if someone was to roll and unknown name and log in there and just try to be apart of a community (with out joining a guild and being pulled into that little clique) they will quickly find those claims of a triving community were nothing more then ones appreciation for his/her 10-20 person guild.

I made a detailed proposal in beta of cantina socialization and how it could have huge positive effects for the game. Others since then have posted their own versions of the ideas I drew up.

Yet we still dont hear about swoop racing, paazaak, holo chess, pit fitting, and more that could pull togather communities inside cantinas and get people interacting.

Bioware would do well to break the mold and look at games that came BEFORE WOW as many had great ideas and concepts that developed ingame server wide communities!

First MMORPG (NeverWinter Nights on AOL) had a well developed program of activities and rewards that functioned as a artificial meathod to get players interacting.

DAoC had their RVR. Typical PVP for most part but the realm unity of defending a relic and relic keep or defending boarder keeps from invading hoardes (or being the hoarde invading other realms) created a common purpose that forced players of all ilk to come togather for a unifying purpose

RIFT (ok post WOW but still great concept) had RIFT (public groups) where random players would come togather to push back a invading PVE hoarde. This concept could easily be transformed into pushing back republic or Imperial (PVE) assaults through out the many leveling planets. Where players of different guilds had to stop ignoreing general and work togather AS A COMMUNITY towards a common goal.

EQ2 had housing where you bought goods from each other to decorate your houses (I still do not understand Trions and Biowares mind set of no houseing at launch. It hurts no one and creates a huge time sink + level of pride and accomplishment for those that wish to take part in it).

Fact is, TOR has no soul at the moment.

Great game thats fun for awhile

Huge potential going forward

but MMOrpg?

Honestly Id call TOR a Multiplayer Online Game

Its very short on the massive (interms of interaction, if you dont interact, may as well be offline game after all)

Its completely void of Role Play (I even joined a Role Play guild but the game enviroment outside the guild just made it impossible for me to get in character... ON ROLE PLAY SERVERS.)

I dont think this new Bioware truely understands the concept of a MMORPG.

again, thats not a insult at the game itself. If I had bought this game as a Diablo type game or some game with multiplayer option. Id be heads over heels blown away by its creation.

But I bought this game as a MMORPG, and it just doesnt have the feel!

As I said, I now play it as a Multiplayer game with friends.

I rarely rarely rarely PUG anymore

I do chat in general when someone says something but thats increasingly rare

#1 priority in this game is community imo.

Forget macros

forget UI

forget dual builds

if they dont get community happening

*points at Rift*

nuff said.

(though going B2P with microtransaction updates might not be worst thing for TOR if Bioware not dedicated to creating community building mechanics in game. Just saying)

Edited by Kalfear

Is 40 massive where 16 is not? I could make similar arguments that WoW is not massively multiplayer, if I define "massive" to be, say, 100. Either way, that'd be irrelevant because the number of players that can exist in a single group is not what makes a game an MMO.