The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

George Lucas Still Defending 'Star Wars' Change

DragonAgeOrgins

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the weekend I decided to pull out my Star Wars Trilogy Limited Edition DVD. For those that don't know what this was, it was a pack of the original trilogy with two disks. One was the new updated, changed, cg altered versions. The other disk was the original untouched version of the movies in 2.0 stereo.

I made it to the cantina part where Han meets Greedo. Han most certainly DID shoot first. Greedo had his gun aimed at Han point blank on top of the table. If he shot first, Han would have a giant hole in his chest.

Han took the initiative and shot Greedo first to prevent being shot himself. How can Lucas even think we are going to accept that Greedo shot first. Its just stupid.

Over the weekend I decided to pull out my Star Wars Trilogy Limited Edition DVD. For those that don't know what this was, it was a pack of the original trilogy with two disks. One was the new updated, changed, cg altered versions. The other disk was the original untouched version of the movies in 2.0 stereo.

I made it to the cantina part where Han meets Greedo. Han most certainly DID shoot first. Greedo had his gun aimed at Han point blank on top of the table. If he shot first, Han would have a giant hole in his chest.

Han took the initiative and shot Greedo first to prevent being shot himself. How can Lucas even think we are going to accept that Greedo shot first. Its just stupid.

Not if you jerk the trigger. If you knew anything about guns you know this is very easy to do even at point blank range and after seeing how well the imperial military shoots its highly plausible some random merc is equally as terrible at handling a firearm.

Now by no means do I HAAATE Lucas like so many do, however what annoys me is not the idea of changes or editing...but the fact its so little...so late...and he charges up the butt for it.

I'm not going to pay for say a few small scene changes. I want a whole new damn movie or a remake with todays technology. If I dont like it, I dont have to watch it again. I dont have to make it my favorite movie. I'd hope it'd end up great and it be another great film, but it'd be an actual new product.

Alot of video games are coming out with this crap model...where they release something, add some small thing that should have probably been there since start, and call it an expansion.

Not if you jerk the trigger. If you knew anything about guns you know this is very easy to do even at point blank range and after seeing how well the imperial military shoots its highly plausible some random merc is equally as terrible at handling a firearm.

Well, Greedo is sitting 3 feet from Han at the table. If he had shot first, Han would have a HUGE hole in his chest. You arent going to miss sitting that close with your gun pointed point blank at someone. You are going to tell me that Greedo, a bounty hunter for Jabba, is that bad of a shot?

Who cares about the Imperial Military. This is Greedo vs. Han.

Well, Greedo is sitting 3 feet from Han at the table. If he had shot first, Han would have a HUGE hole in his chest. You arent going to miss sitting that close with your gun pointed point blank at someone. You are going to tell me that Greedo, a bounty hunter for Jabba, is that bad of a shot?

I've seen real cops unload 15 rounds at a person 2 feet in front of them along with the other guys shooting all his rounds missing the guy.

So yes. I am going to tell you Greedo is that bad of a shot for 1 it is realistic for even a train individual to miss 3 feet in front of him(especially if hes holding the weapon with 1 hand) and that according to the god of Star Wars(Lucas) said he fired first and obviously missed.

Well for one, Greedo wasn't a great bounty hunter and two he wasn't even aiming at Han. He was firing from the hip and pretty much was aiming at the wall behind Han.

That is your opinion only. In my opinion the changes by Lucas destroy the films.

That is your opinion only. In my opinion the changes by Lucas clarify his original vision of the films and are very good, slightly different version of the events depicted in them.

Honestly, This is George Lucas's stuff, he can decide to do what he wants with it. The fans didnt create it, *shrug*

I'm sorry but neither did Lucas. He only directed the first and he did not have the free range he had whit the sequels. Starwars the original belongs to culture and he is whit in his rights to change things and release alternate versions but to not allow people to experience the original is just unforgivable. He didn't event direct 2 of the 3. He just seems like such a petty man.

The "he always shot first and I'm just fixing the confusion" bit smells like a troll to me. It's very clear in the original film he didn't ( and he didn't shoot first in the original novelizations either )

That said, with the whole "How could Greedo have such terrible aim" bit, I have to point out: Was Greedo actually intending to kill Han in the first place? Logically if you were trying to extort credits from Han that killing him might not be a wise choice, Nevermind that if execution was the goal of the job, Greedo probably should have/would have attempted to kill Han immediately, rather than have a chat with him first. Under this assumption you could excuse Greedo's miss instead as a warning shot in an attempt to cow Han into paying up.

Edited by Sylriana

I'm sorry but neither did Lucas. He only directed the first and he did not have the free range he had whit the sequels. Starwars the original belongs to culture and he is whit in his rights to change things and release alternate versions but to not allow people to experience the original is just unforgivable. He didn't event direct 2 of the 3. He just seems like such a petty man.

So I guess when the credits say "Story by: George Lucas" thats just a bunch of BS?

I still don't see the problem though, its a minor thing.

Anyway this just crossed my mind, that is really confusing for me. Some people say GL can't write a story, but then say he has a great imagination and can make worlds and yada yada and for the OT he can write a good story. But...last I checked the OT's stories were written by GL, and those were just fine...so whats the logic?

You say he can write stories....but then you say he can't write stories? I don't get it.

lol...

I thought Lucas Arts has the IP for Star Wars? Doesn't George own that company? So doesn't that mean he does indeed own Star Stars?

People have a weird thought process.

I still don't see the problem though, its a minor thing.

Anyway this just crossed my mind, that is really confusing for me. Some people say GL can't write a story, but then say he has a great imagination and can make worlds and yada yada and for the OT he can write a good story. But...last I checked the OT's stories were written by GL, and those were just fine...so whats the logic?

You say he can write stories....but then you say he can't write stories? I don't get it.

Because writing stories != creating a universe. Look at JRR Tolkien's stories. Decent story making, AMAZING universe. Same with Star Wars.

See, the original trilogy wasn't just his creation, there were a whole bunch of people and situations involved. All of that was involved in making the movies enjoyable. Jaws, for example, had all sorts of issues with the mechanical shark, and ended up being a great movie because you couldn't see the shark for much of the film. Spielberg's vision of the movie does not trump what was created.

And honestly, he can change the stories all he wants without bothering me. It's the fact that he doesn't give access to the originals as well via DVD / Bluray / whatever that annoys me. That not only states he wants to show you his vision, it screams he wants you to LIKE his vision more. Sorry George. The plain truth is, beyond the development of the universe, the less you had a part in the story the better.

But hey, for all you guys who are fans of him constantly changing the original, let's hope he goes to his original drafts ("vision"), and cuts out Vader being Luke's father, amirite?

Because writing stories != creating a universe. Look at JRR Tolkien's stories. Decent story making, AMAZING universe. Same with Star Wars.

See, the original trilogy wasn't just his creation, there were a whole bunch of people and situations involved. All of that was involved in making the movies enjoyable. Jaws, for example, had all sorts of issues with the mechanical shark, and ended up being a great movie because you couldn't see the shark for much of the film. Spielberg's vision of the movie does not trump what was created.

And honestly, he can change the stories all he wants without bothering me. It's the fact that he doesn't give access to the originals as well via DVD / Bluray / whatever that annoys me. That not only states he wants to show you his vision, it screams he wants you to LIKE his vision more. Sorry George. The plain truth is, beyond the development of the universe, the less you had a part in the story the better.

But hey, for all you guys who are fans of him constantly changing the original, let's hope he goes to his original drafts ("vision"), and cuts out Vader being Luke's father, amirite?

And Luke being an old man that fought in the clone wars. Solo being a slimy..space slug type thing that actually was a slave trader, Stormtroopers actually had the lightsabers, etc..

See Lucas had the IDEA of Star Wars, but had others that helped him refine the idea into a better STORY.

I give Lucas props for the idea, always will. But, there were better writers back then that improved upon his idea. The prequels had no such collaborative process, and it was obvious.

Edited by Keihryon

Lucas was a fine filmaker when he was younger but his talent waned by the time he filmed the prequels.

I really don't care about the additions he made except the "noooooooooooooooooooo". The "no" is silly AT BEST.

IN fact, mort of his additions are probably a net benefit to the film because it fills in some blank scenes. However, his biggest errors are the prequels and what he forced on us based on those films:

1. The nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

2. Editing in the new vader image at the Ewok party.

• 1 year later...
George Lucas knows you "Star Wars" fans are pissed at him. You don't need to remind him. However, that won't stop the director from defending the infamous changes he's made to the original trilogy.

"Changes are not unusual -- I mean, most movies when they release them they make changes. But somehow, when I make the slightest change, everybody thinks it's the end of the world," Lucas told the Hollywood Reporter.

Lucas, who's been doing interviews of late to promote both "Red Tails" and "The Phantom Menace 3D," even took the time to address one of the biggest "Star Wars" controversies ever: The Han-Shot-First dilemma.

In "Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope," the audience is introduced to Han Solo at the Mos Eisley Cantina, where he runs into a bounty hunter named Greedo. The original version showed Han shooting first, but in the 1997 re-release, Lucas changed the scene to show that Greedo was the one who shot first (which made Han seem like much less of a rogue). Despite the uproar, George still stands by the decision.

"The controversy over who shot first, Greedo or Han Solo, in 'Episode IV,' what I did was try to clean up the confusion, but obviously it upset people because they wanted Solo [who seemed to be the one who shot first in the original] to be a cold-blooded killer, but he actually isn't. It had been done in all close-ups and it was confusing about who did what to whom. I put a little wider shot in there that made it clear that Greedo is the one who shot first, but everyone wanted to think that Han shot first, because they wanted to think that he actually just gunned him down."

Lucas' defense will likely do little to dissuade "Star Wars" fanatics who have it out for the filmmaker. In fact, George's next quote will probably enrage them further:

"If you look at 'Blade Runner,' it's been cut sixteen ways from Sunday and there are all kinds of different versions of it. 'Star Wars,' there's basically one version -- it just keeps getting improved a little bit as we move forward."

Lucas goes on to discuss the changes he made to Yoda in "The Phantom Menace," along with his thoughts on "Hugo" and SOPA. You can read the entire interview over on THR.

If you're interested in reliving the "Episode 1" experience (or, for some, inflicting pain on yourselves), you can check out "The Phantom Menace 3D" in theaters this weeken

Whoever is making a big deal about the changes to the original trilogy or the prequels or anybody who likes them, this is your new theme song

Edited by redhoodrider

[i know necro but its here now so fudge it]

The funny thing is, that in the Star Wars I've seen for the first time, and that I still have on a VHS cassette, Greedo didn't shoot at all.

Only Han fired a shot. Greedo died without shooting at all.

Im pretty sure Greedo always shot, but his shot was more of a death reflex hence why it flew into the wall.

And it was better that way. It didn't make Han a "cold-blooded killer" (that langauge explains Lucas's mentality right there) Han assessed the situation and he acted in self defense before he ended up being shot himself. It was smart, not ruthless. As it is now, he basically gets pure dumb lucky that Greedo has even *******r aim then a stormtrooper and misses a point blank shot and Han has time to shoot back. So now Han has poor situational assessment skills and is instead merely "lucky." Lame.