Big wins for casuals! Dual Spec - Cross server

Touchbass

Cross server isn't a big win for casuals. Its a big win for bads. They should rename it "cross server carry bads tool." I'm at a loss to think of one mmo developer that added a cross server auto grouping tool to their game and didn't dumb down all the content associated with it.

It also makes perfect sense that the people here who are saying mmos don't have a community are the same people who don't seem to be able to enjoy mmos without something like a cross server auto grouping tool.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can somebody honestly explain to me exactly what this Dual-spec is supposed to do? how its implemented?

Is it simply, you get to have 2 versions of the same character essentially?

Please give me a description, so I may discover why its not needed here.

The game, or the Genre itself does not *need* to cater to people who might be better off in facebook gaming. I could probably blame that on blizzard getting greedy and doing a great job of it. They sold out MMO gamers really.

Maybe a little dramatic, but i just dont see games truely aimed at giving players that epic experience anymore. It's focused on the formula that will get money. Personally I am holding out to see if Guild Wars 2 lives up to their marketing hype, if not I might just pull out of the watered-down MMO genre for a while.

+1

I've always said: WoW took your favorite Mom & Pop diner and transformed it into McDonalds.

MMO's, I fear, will never be the same now.

The game, or the Genre itself does not *need* to cater to people who might be better off in facebook gaming. I could probably blame that on blizzard getting greedy and doing a great job of it. They sold out MMO gamers really.

Maybe a little dramatic, but i just dont see games truely aimed at giving players that epic experience anymore. It's focused on the formula that will get money. Personally I am holding out to see if Guild Wars 2 lives up to their marketing hype, if not I might just pull out of the watered-down MMO genre for a while.

No one decides which game is supposed to cater to. if people think the game will never be for them, they are not forced to play it and suscribe.

Bioware announced in 2009 that this game would also be for working dads with limited playtime who can't sign for countless hours of chat just to experience the content. A cross server tool is the continuity and the solution for them.

Can somebody honestly explain to me exactly what this Dual-spec is supposed to do? how its implemented?

Dual spec:

Within a AC you can switch between two talent tree builds. Conditions; delay and outside of combat.

Dual spec:

Within a AC you can switch between two talent tree builds. Conditions; delay and outside of combat.

Ok, thanks for this.

I guess that is what i was fearing all along. Its nothing that adds any more content, abilities or "secondary classes" but its just a way for lazy people not to have to create alts to get the characters they want.

I am officially against this then. The respec system that is in place should be enough. Your character should stay true to how you made them. If you want a healer instead, then go roll and level a healer to play with.

Dual spec is the ability to have 2 different talent tree set-ups you can toggle between, out of combat. This is accompanied by also having action bars saved to each set up too.

Example I'll use is a Sith Sorcerer. Right now you might be specced into corruption healing, and if you want to play dps to the maximum for whatever reason, you need to go to the respec trainer.

If we add dual spec, that first spec is heals, you toggle to the second set of talents, the healing talents and action bars are saved. The second spec you can set to be dps talents, you setup your action bars for dps, and away you go. Both specs remain set-up until you choose to respec one or the other.

Meaning you can easily transition into different roles, different group environments, fill in gaps that bit easier.

Edited by Doamy

Ok, thanks for this.

I guess that is what i was fearing all along. Its nothing that adds any more content, abilities or "secondary classes" but its just a way for lazy people not to have to create alts to get the characters they want.

I am officially against this then. The respec system that is in place should be enough. Your character should stay true to how you made them. If you want a healer instead, then go roll and level a healer to play with.

Well, it's just two alternative builds. Re speccing does not make sense. One day you are a healer, the next day you have forgotten everything.

Secondly I don't see what it achieves to force people to roll the same AC twice.

This game is not only made for alt-aholics.

Dual spec is the ability to have 2 different talent tree set-ups you can toggle between, out of combat. This is accompanied by also having action bars saved to each set up too.

Example I'll use is a Sith Sorcerer. Right now you might be specced into corruption healing, and if you want to play dps to the maximum for whatever reason, you need to go to the respec trainer.

If we add dual spec, that first spec is heals, you toggle to the second set of talents, the healing talents and action bars are saved. The second spec you can set to be dps talents, you setup your action bars for dps, and away you go. Both specs remain set-up until you choose to respec one or the other.

Meaning you can easily transition into different roles, different group environments, fill in gaps that bit easier.

Thank you for explaining, but YUCK, do not want or see the need. But I am more of a roleplayer them a meta-gamer. I think you should have to be "stuck" with the character you created, or make another.

Thank you for explaining, but YUCK, do not want or see the need. But I am more of a roleplayer them a meta-gamer. I think you should have to be "stuck" with the character you created, or make another.
Why?

That's counterintuitive. RP wise, star wars characters are not confined into specific abilities and limiting themselves that way.

Doesn't this just kinda help out the solo'ers and the anti-social people though? I don't really have diffuculty finding groups to match my role, on any of my alts. Sometimes I wish my shadow was a sage with healing but I think that having the ability to change whenever I wanted would make my character feel less unique and important and ultimately make me care about them less.

No one decides which game is supposed to cater to. if people think the game will never be for them, they are not forced to play it and suscribe.

Bioware announced in 2009 that this game would also be for working dads with limited playtime who can't sign for countless hours of chat just to experience the content. A cross server tool is the continuity and the solution for them.

I guess that depends on your view of the genre and its description. When people mention MMORPG I envision things as persistent, worlds and characters, with lots of interaction between players, an investment into those persisting relationships with the world and players. By definition it is something that requires time and effort to truly appreciate and enjoy to its fullest.

Doesn't this just kinda help out the solo'ers and the anti-social people though? I don't really have diffuculty finding groups to match my role, on any of my alts. Sometimes I wish my shadow was a sage with healing but I think that having the ability to change whenever I wanted would make my character feel less unique and important and ultimately make me care about them less.
No. Dual speccing simply allows you to save to builds and switch between them with limitations, instead of making you go see a NPC for having a worse result, since he does not save them. it's only for convenience.

You still need the NPC:

if you have two PvE spec, you need to see the NPC to have a PvP spe by example.

This is kind of what I've been saying all along.

Warcraft is like the Green Day of the mmorpg genre but theres a big difference.

A Green Day fan will listen to a few other less commercial punk acts and might find that they don't really like punk rock.

A warcraft bandwagoneer can't come to terms with the fact that they just don't like the mmorpg genre that much rather than they just don't like every mmorpg they play.

Edited by Vlaxitov

The TOR classes and advance classes are well defined. Dual spec would not allow a Shadow to pick Sage healing, it would be the same advance class trees only.

You keep the same base skills, you just attune your character to using different ones with different efficiency. As well as losing and gaining the talent tree specific ones you pick.

I'll agree in a more open system like Rifts you quickly lose any notion of what your character is meant to be.

I guess that depends on your view of the genre and its description. When people mention MMORPG I envision things as persistent, worlds and characters, with lots of interaction between players, an investment into those persisting relationships with the world and players. By definition it is something that requires time and effort to truly appreciate and enjoy to its fullest.
That's only one interpretation. It cannot be the absolute truth for everyone.

Facts is that guilds are not mandatory to play MMOs. At the moment MMOs start to plan content for solo'ers this conception was shattered.

I'm confused...

If we are going to DUAL SPEC, are they going to give us more points to use to go up more than one tree?

Each spec gains the same points as you would have if there was only one spec. ie each spec gains 1 point per level after level 10

This notion of community building needs to go away. It's done nothing for my server as I see it, and nothing for myself. I did endless group content on the way to 50 with some random people but I never saw them again. And when in a group, people would rather stay silent until its over and just say bye despite my efforts to be social.

Do you guys think your community building fantasy trumps all those people who are stuck in the fleet wasting their time? I sometimes see the same person LFG in the fleet for an hour, and they seem like nice people to me.

The community had its shot and it failed, sorry to say. Socializing in these games won't work since its so similar to WoW.

And yet we are two steps closer to Wow.

The game i left because i wanted to play something DIFFERENT.

But peeps keep whining because they wanna play Wow with a different suit.

BW can we pls have portals, summoning stones, achievements bla bla

Christ...lazy people...

Oh well...cant wait to see thousand of topics about:

que times

ninjaing

rude people

afk people

cant kick bla bla

kick abuse bla bla

BW, can i have a companion named "scotty" so he can portal me everywhere i want?

That's only one interpretation. It cannot be the absolute truth for everyone.

Facts is that guilds are not mandatory to play MMOs. At the moment MMOs start to plan content for solo'ers this conception was shattered.

I'd be interested to hear yours. Genuinely, I like trying to understand a lot of different views points and the direction of things. It's a puzzle I can never hope to solve, but I sure as hell like trying.

This notion of community building needs to go away. It's done nothing for my server as I see it, and nothing for myself. I did endless group content on the way to 50 with some random people but I never saw them again. And when in a group, people would rather stay silent until its over and just say bye despite my efforts to be social.

Do you guys think your community building fantasy trumps all those people who are stuck in the fleet wasting their time? I sometimes see the same person LFG in the fleet for an hour, and they seem like nice people to me.

The community had its shot and it failed, sorry to say. Socializing in these games won't work since its so similar to WoW.

Totally agreed.