Anyone running more than 31 in Watchman?

Therealkoop

I really like the watchman tree and aside from recompense im planning on maxing the whole tree. Currently at lvl 42 I dont have focused pursuit or force fade but I keep running into situations where they would be great to have.

Or I could get the 30% dmg reduce from aoes....

Force fade is a must personally, Focused Pursuit is a waste. I have seen some people running more than 31 in combat, contemplated it myself, but I find myself more satisfied with a 31/10/0 build.

I have been toying around with the idea of ditching Burning Focus for Valor though. Being a 99% PvP player, I don't really notice the help from Burning Focus. Probably works way better than I think it does.

Edited by EnnaRei

I really like the watchman tree and aside from recompense im planning on maxing the whole tree. Currently at lvl 42 I dont have focused pursuit or force fade but I keep running into situations where they would be great to have.

Or I could get the 30% dmg reduce from aoes....

That wouldn't even leave you enough points to get all of Dual Wield Mastery (*edit* without Recompense you'd have JUST enough). Strike, Slash, Zealous and Merciless all strike with both weapons. When I spec'd Watchman recently, I got Merciless Slash first, and looked at the tooltip. Then I invested three points in Dual Wield Mastery, and looked at the tooltip again. It brought the top-end damage of MS up over 300 damage. It's basically a must have talent.

Also, Focused Pursuit is STRICTLY PvP and Force Fade is STRICTLY PvE (with maybe 1% crossover on rare occasions) so while you can get both, if you intend to PvP more than PvE, or vice versa, you'll want to exclude one. Same goes for Inflammation, worthless outside of PvP, and even then it's only ok. The slow doesn't even last half the length of the CD of Cauterize, which means you're going to have to end up using Leg Slash anyway or just let your enemy run freely for 9 seconds (barring a reset to the cd of Cauterize of course).

It's almost never smart to invest in every talent point in a tree, and this case is no different.

On an ending note, you'll use Zen more than you'll use Transcendence, so while I agree I would LOVE the run speed boost, Zen gets used 9/10. I'd only get Focused Pursuit if you're part of a pre-made PvP team and you intend to be the dedicated speed booster.

Edited by Mal-Sharran

Ok good points. Im strictly PVP only so that effects some choices. I actually only planned on having 1 point in close quarters, which would leave me enough for 5 points in combat.

Force fade is a gimmick I suppose, would only use it for running through fire. Maybe ill drop that and grab defensive roll.

I actually use transcendence a decent amount, lots in huttball and in voidstar I always build up and use it right as a door pops.

Force fade is a must personally, Focused Pursuit is a waste. I have seen some people running more than 31 in combat, contemplated it myself, but I find myself more satisfied with a 31/10/0 build.

I have been toying around with the idea of ditching Burning Focus for Valor though. Being a 99% PvP player, I don't really notice the help from Burning Focus. Probably works way better than I think it does.

Force Fade in PvP is pretty unnecessary, using Camo breaks everyone's targeting of you, which means the only damage you'll continue to take might be dot damage. If a few dots are going to kill you, then you'll just die as soon as you pop out of stealth anyway. That's what a 1 minute Guarded by the Force is for. Camo in PvE however does not make you vanish, so if a boss is wailing on you 4 seconds of damage immunity is amazing, coupled with Guarded, 9 seconds of virtual immortality.

And yes, Burning Focus is indeed good and bad at the same time. We have two dots up frequently, but the 1.5 second limiter makes that less useful. However, two dots doubles the chances you get a proc ever 1.5 seconds. I've seen it proc back to back to back. I personally think it would be a mistake to throw away free focus in such a focus starved spec.

Ok good points. Im strictly PVP only so that effects some choices. I actually only planned on having 1 point in close quarters, which would leave me enough for 5 points in combat.

Force fade is a gimmick I suppose, would only use it for running through fire. Maybe ill drop that and grab defensive roll.

I actually use transcendence a decent amount, lots in huttball and in voidstar I always build up and use it right as a door pops.

If you can honestly say you use it at least 50% of the time or more, then yeah, Focused Pursuit would be worth it for sure. I personally end up popping Zen for the burst damage, but Trans has it's place too. I would love the 80% speed boost, but I couldn't justify the points. Shaving 10 seconds off Force Stasis was too tempting (Dot, dot, Zen, Stasis, watch their health melt).

Even if Force Camo causes them to drop target of you, it doesn't mean ranged abilities wont still hit you. Having experienced that enough, picking up Force Fade came as a no brainer. That Tracer Missile is going to hit you regardless of whether he can no longer see you. Once it's off, it WILL hit you. Not to mention that if you also happen to be the poor subject of an AoE *****torm, as I commonly am, it also prevents you from coming out of stealth before the 4 seconds. I have found it far more useful in PvP than Focused Pursuit ever would be.

And in regards to Focused Pursuit, even in PvP it is a waste. The only times I use it is during a hutball match, which is rare enough for pub side, or when I have 30 centering built and i feel like getting somewhere in a warzone a little bit faster. It is just a filler, doesn't really do well for PvE or PvP.

Edited by EnnaRei

If you can honestly say you use it at least 50% of the time or more, then yeah, Focused Pursuit would be worth it for sure. I personally end up popping Zen for the burst damage, but Trans has it's place too. I would love the 80% speed boost, but I couldn't justify the points. Shaving 10 seconds off Force Stasis was too tempting (Dot, dot, Zen, Stasis, watch their health melt).

For me, Focused Pursuit is just mandatory in PvP. Phenomenal utility in Alderaan. I can cap West all by myself 9 out of 10 times before the Sith even reach it and reinforce nodes in a heartbeat, even breaking off combat to do so.

In Huttball, it guarantees you first possession of the ball as long as there's no enemy Marauder/Sentinel on the other team w/Focused Pursuit. Also that + Guarded by the Force + A pass while your on the enemy bridge = Almost guaranteed score.

Edited by McVade

here is the spec im running atm.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRrRMcGzZhMbZh.1

i did'nt take inflammation since the slow effect hardly seems worth it.

you can pretty much spam your leg slash enough to keep a target nearby.

alot of ppl put 10 points into combat, but i have found the 3point insight from focus is a better investment for your dots (1 crit = 2% hp)

also did'nt take Jedi crusader because it only procs every 3 secs(a long time in pvp) compared to the defensive forms which procs every 1.5 secs.

when i am up and running on a target focus points never seem to be a problem. so no reason to invest in more focus generating abilites then needed.

but this is from a purely pvp perspective.

Edited by HarrySachx

here is the spec im running atm.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRrRMcGzZhMbZh.1

i did'nt take inflammation since the slow effect hardly seems worth it.

you can pretty much spam your leg slash enough to keep a target nearby.

alot of ppl put 10 points into combat, but i have found the 3point insight from focus is a better investment for your dots (1 crit = 2% hp)

also did'nt take Jedi crusader because it only procs every 3 secs(a long time in pvp) compared to the defensive forms which procs every 1.5 secs.

when i am up and running on a target focus points never seem to be a problem. so no reason to invest in more focus generating abilites then needed.

but this is from a purely pvp perspective.

I like this spec and probably be very similar to what I will go with in the end for mostly PvP.

Although I am only level 25, to me taking 2/2 CQ seems like a waste to me since I doubt you will be leaping into someone that is inside of 5m considering that melee is 4m range. Most fighting is probably done right around the 3-4m range anyways so one small step back if you want to re-leap and that can save a point to put somewhere else. If anything I would take a point out and put it into Pursuit.

As for Pursuit, how often do you use Transcendence vs Zen? I haven’t used Transcendence very much and it probably really shines at higher levels where your Centering generation is higher and you have access to Valorous Call. If you use the rush tactic of going for a cannon by blowing VC+Trans right off the start, is the 30% speed enough that a Marauder with just stock Transcendence wouldn’t be able to interrupt you?

Just wanted to chime in here a moment.

Force Fade is vital in your survivability as a watchman. Dots are more damage than most people realize, and watchman should already be especially aware of this fact. Not to mention explosive darts and "crushing" dots that always save the biggest hits for last.

Not to mention walking through AoEs, Fire, dodging tracer missile spam, etc. It's not just the health you have at 5% health that you save, the health you have at 90% matters too. This is the secret to being a good watchman, keeping yourself alive long enough to make that high sustained damage matter.

Force Fade in PvP is pretty unnecessary, using Camo breaks everyone's targeting of you, which means the only damage you'll continue to take might be dot damage. If a few dots are going to kill you, then you'll just die as soon as you pop out of stealth anyway. That's what a 1 minute Guarded by the Force is for. Camo in PvE however does not make you vanish, so if a boss is wailing on you 4 seconds of damage immunity is amazing, coupled with Guarded, 9 seconds of virtual immortality.

And yes, Burning Focus is indeed good and bad at the same time. We have two dots up frequently, but the 1.5 second limiter makes that less useful. However, two dots doubles the chances you get a proc ever 1.5 seconds. I've seen it proc back to back to back. I personally think it would be a mistake to throw away free focus in such a focus starved spec.

This man knows his Sentinel.