(Forever change the face of MMO's) Is it possible to merge all servers to one?

Nijraw

Just allow seamless transitions from server to server. SO for example, have 50 instances of Coruscant, rather than 50 servers (but still techanically having 50 servers running the 50 instances).

Each day, the first member of a guild that logs on automatically sets which coruscant server to be on (thus every other member logging on will log on to that server).

As for those who aren't guilded or have friends-list; they will be placed in a random instance of Coruscant.

And expand this to every loading screen; whenever i travel to a planet a random instance of it shows up.

i dunno, just some thoughts until we have one computer that can do all of it at once.

There are two primary reasons that there are multiple servers; technical, and practical. From the technical perspective we have to consider the architecture of the server component of the game engine, which was simply not designed to allow everyone to be in one place and interact with each other, though that can be overcome with massive server clustering technologies, and consider the hardware requirements on the client side, which must obtain and process information across a network connection related to everyone in their immediate vicinity that they *might* choose to interact with. From a practical perspective, the respawn rates would have to accomodate the additional amounts of players, all conducting the same quests, in the same areas.

Just allow seamless transitions from server to server. SO for example, have 50 instances of Coruscant, rather than 50 servers (but still techanically having 50 servers running the 50 instances).

Each day, the first member of a guild that logs on automatically sets which coruscant server to be on (thus every other member logging on will log on to that server).

As for those who aren't guilded or have friends-list; they will be placed in a random instance of Coruscant.

And expand this to every loading screen; whenever i travel to a planet a random instance of it shows up.

i dunno, just some thoughts until we have one computer that can do all of it at once.

I like the idea, but can we do it is the question?

There are two primary reasons that there are multiple servers; technical, and practical. From the technical perspective we have to consider the architecture of the server component of the game engine, which was simply not designed to allow everyone to be in one place and interact with each other, though that can be overcome with massive server clustering technologies, and consider the hardware requirements on the client side, which must obtain and process information across a network connection related to everyone in their immediate vicinity that they *might* choose to interact with. From a practical perspective, the respawn rates would have to accomodate the additional amounts of players, all conducting the same quests, in the same areas.

So the Hero Engine is the problem then? I don't know a lick about the tech part of MMO's, I'm just a idealist with a dream for the perfect MMO community set in one of my favorite settings.

Edited by Nijraw

I like the idea, but can we do it is the question?

Also, I would add to that to expand to French and German servers as well, but allow for "General French Chat", "General English Chat", "General German Chat" and for trade, pvp, etc. And allow any player to switch to any of those chats.

This would open up a lot more interesting community aspects i think.

Also, I would add to that to expand to French and German servers as well, but allow for "General French Chat", "General English Chat", "General German Chat" and for trade, pvp, etc. And allow any player to switch to any of those chats.

lol nice, I see where you're going with this, a man can only dream right?, I really hope Bioware is reading this.

Edited by Nijraw

Separated only by zone shards?

I don't know if this has ever been done in any MMO but if this could be done why not do it or try?

I would love to have one giant server only separated by zoning shards having every server merged as one great server.

Think of the possibilities of a mega server in a Star Wars setting, the Warzones, World PvP, the Grouping, Raiding, this would make MMO history and forever change how MMO work.

Can it be done, If not what can it take to make it happen?

From what I understand each zone shard holds about 300 players per zone at how many shards is unknown, but my guess is that if ever zone had up to 20 shards more, and places like Ilum & Fleets with a bit more this could work.

Your thoughts on the matter?

Um ... I don't think NASA, Interpol and 1st Data combined have enough horsepower to handle 2 million live bodies in a virtual world on the same cloud unless all they did was periodically buy underwear from Victoria's Secret.

Separated only by zone shards?

I don't know if this has ever been done in any MMO but if this could be done why not do it or try?

I would love to have one giant server only separated by zoning shards having every server merged as one great server.

Think of the possibilities of a mega server in a Star Wars setting, the Warzones, World PvP, the Grouping, Raiding, this would make MMO history and forever change how MMO work.

Can it be done, If not what can it take to make it happen?

From what I understand each zone shard holds about 300 players per zone at how many shards is unknown, but my guess is that if ever zone had up to 20 shards more, and places like Ilum & Fleets with a bit more this could work.

Your thoughts on the matter?

this has already been done in another game, called DCUO and yes it worked pretty well there but then the populations there are way lower so that maybe why but yes has been done before.

Even if they could do it what would the server be?

Would it be PvP or PvE. Would it be PvP/RP or maybe PvE/RP.

That is the problem with making it 1 server, if you do then you will lose quite alot of the population. Alot of PvE people will not play on a PvP server and vice-versa.

Best case would be 4 servers: One for PvE only, one for PvP, one for PvE/RP and one for PvP/RP.

DCUO seperates PvE and PvP just fine with a Megaserver.

They have one Megaserver that is split into a PvE ruleset on one side, and PvP ruleset on another. Players can freely change between them via a "phase shifter" found in the Justice League Watchtower (Heroes) and the Hall of Doom (villains). Furthermore, if a single PvE or PvP phase becomes too crowded, the server automatically creates a new shard (sort of like Millenium City-1, Millenium City-2, and so forth in Champions). Like in CO, STO, and SWTOR, you can freely shift between shards for grouping, as needed.

K, so now you have 2-3 thousand people in each general instance of chat. How do you solve that issue without instancing?

The second you correlated GPU power with running a server, you just failed lol.

Unless of course you realize that unlike wow where much is handled server side, in swtor much is actually client side.

This is the reason why people can speed hack etc in this game and not in wow, because the client tells the server where it is and not vice versa. In wow the server tells where the client is, and thus if the client gets ahead of the server, it rubber bands you beacuse that is where you actually are.

Have you noticed you have never rubber banded in this game, yet in wow you do? That's the reason why, it was done like this to reduce server lag, however they didn't realize so much at the amount of client side lag it projected, that and having a 5 year old engine didn't help.

This is also the reason why ilum is so laggy when you get more then 10 people on it, because the client is handling a lot of the work load, this is why a mega server would never work with this game without the client having an amazing computer.

It comes down to the basic coding of the game, so don't knock someone before you know what you are talking about.

Imagine the QUEUES! The lag at Fleet! The spam!

And what about the people who play on PvP servers? Whose rules would this new server play by? Or would it be one big PvP, one big PvE, one big RP, and one big RP-PvE, totaling four massive servers?

Edited by Valin_Thren