(Forever change the face of MMO's) Is it possible to merge all servers to one?

Nijraw

Separated only by zone shards?

I don't know if this has ever been done in any MMO but if this could be done why not do it or try?

I would love to have one giant server only separated by zoning shards having every server merged as one great server.

Think of the possibilities of a mega server in a Star Wars setting, the Warzones, World PvP, the Grouping, Raiding, this would make MMO history and forever change how MMO's work.

Can it be done, If not what can it take to make it happen?

From what I understand each zone shard holds about 300 players per zone at how many shards is unknown, but my guess is that if every zone had up to 20 shards or more, and places like Ilum & Fleets with a bit more this could work.

Your thoughts on the matter?

Edited by Nijraw

it would take computers not even thought of yet to do this. the reason this cant happen is because computers cant run at that capacity. not enough memory or CPU or even GPU power.

Pretty sure it has been done in 3 other MMOs to date.

Edited by Vecke

this.

It's been done.

So it has been done, but from my understanding not with millions of players, Eve only has about 300k subs and a MAX of maybe 60k online at any given time, even if Swtor has mega servers separated by time zones, East, West Euro and so on this would still be amazing to say the least.

Edited by Nijraw

it would take computers not even thought of yet to do this. the reason this cant happen is because computers cant run at that capacity. not enough memory or CPU or even GPU power.

It's being done right now!

This very second!

With ToR!

It wouldn't require a huge jump in processing power. Instead of each server having its own cluster, you'd have each zone instance having its own cluster... with a central management cluister (a very large one) to tie them all together.

The amount of processing power required really isn't going to change because the amount of players at any given time isn't going to change.

Now, performance of the client with those kinds of populations numbers (hero engine) would be abyssmal. The engine simply wasn't designed for what it's being used for now (with only a handful of players in comparison) let alone an increase of a hundred fold.

If it can be done maybe we should try and get this idea pushed through, this would be amazing if Bioware can pull something off like this with Swtor, hell I am even down for them to shut down all servers for a month to make this happen and I'll even pay for that month. Edited by Nijraw

This would be incredible but I doubt it can be done. If it could easily, why wouldn't they do it?

Good suggestion OP

Maybe they wanted to play it safe I really don't know, but I do know Eve online has a mega server to some degree but no where on the scale that Swtor would have to bring, if this could be done this would forever change MMO's and how things are done, players will forever demand this type of mega server for all AAA MMO's in the future.

Edited by Nijraw

Even if they could do it what would the server be?

Would it be PvP or PvE. Would it be PvP/RP or maybe PvE/RP.

That is the problem with making it 1 server, if you do then you will lose quite alot of the population. Alot of PvE people will not play on a PvP server and vice-versa.

Best case would be 4 servers: One for PvE only, one for PvP, one for PvE/RP and one for PvP/RP.

That is the problem with making it 1 server, if you do then you will lose quite alot of the population. Alot of PvE people will not play on a PvP server and vice-versa.

Best case would be 4 servers: One for PvE only, one for PvP, one for PvE/RP and one for PvP/RP.

Every true, that slipped my mind, but yes if they have to separate the mega servers by type or time zone so be it, it would still give the players the community that they so deserve and the Bioware Star Wars experience they all ways wished for.

it has been done by champions online, didnt turn out to pretty.

I don't see any negatives to my idea other then technical issues, IMO for a game that cost hundreds of millions to make community should of been number one priority because no matter how good the game is if there isn't a community the game is as good as dead.

DCUO actually has 4 mega-servers (I think).

PVE and PVP servers for the consoles and PVP and PVE servers for the pc.

If this game were to do it, I'm sure it would still be split into server types, just each category would be merged to a single server.

I don't see any negatives to my idea other then technical issues, IMO for a game that cost hundreds of millions to make community should of been number one priority because no matter how good the game is if there isn't a community the game is as good as dead.

not saying it was bad im just saying it happened, i played it and liked it myself, i just dont see it being very successful as using champions as an example. but hey anything could happen

Yes it can be done with the right engine.

Cryptic engine can do it, used in STO, CO, NWN, everyone is on one server(cluster) and zones. Each zone has a population cap and if its fill a new zone is spawned. Players can switch freely between zones to meet up with their group for example. And since STO went F2P there are a lot of players online all the time.

Eve online does it with their own engine and lots of machine power.

A lot of asian grind fests do it, just seperating the servers by country/language/style.

BigWorld engine is designed to do that from the get go.

Just because BW settled on an antiquity of an engine doesn't means it can't be done.

not saying it was bad im just saying it happened, i played it and liked it myself, i just dont see it being very successful as using champions as an example. but hey anything could happen

Oh no I wasn't trying to be rude please don't take me wrong way I was just saying (in other words) that if I was on the Bioware team and had any pull what so ever this would of been my number one priority, sure some other MMO's have mega servers but none to the degree that Swtor would have to face, to me a MMO is about community first and all else would fall into place, if Bioware would choose to create mega servers this would keep many, many people content buying them time to polish, the problem with MMO's today is they only have one chance to make a first impression if they fail then no matter how good they make the game over the years players will all ways remember the negative and not return no matter what.

Swtor is still young and they still have time to make that good impression and the first thing most if not all MMO players remember is the community functions because that alone will hold players giving them time to work out the bugs, as of right now there are many servers that are lacking in the community department and the bugs to the game end up being the straw the broke the camels back for them.

Edited by Nijraw

eve online

Eve online is different. It's extremely simple to code a system in eve. It's literally about 5 sets of models. A couple of planets, a couple of stations, a couple of asteroid belts, an instance portal.

Given that, you can replicate thousands of systems without a problem, given that they're just black boxes. Now, the problem with any other mmo is that you need to put your mobs, your terrain, your bases in without taking half an hour to traverse from where your quest was and where your quest giver is.

So yeah, eve is about the only mmo that this works for. Any mmo with actual graphical content will be unable to implement it. Picture korriban and the quest givers there. At prime time, my server has about 100 people in korriban. Not sure how many servers there are, but lets have a conservative guess of 50. Now try and fit 5,000 players in korriban and think what would happen

Edited by Stealthy_Monkey