Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Please allow me to PLAY my own character in PvP.

Dee-Jay

I understand that every MMO needs CC and I'm all for it.

But SWTOR is beyond ridiculous when it comes to CC.

The Resolve system is bloody useless in the overwhelming majority of PvP situations (yes I understand how it works) and that just gives free reign to the abundance of 4 sec stuns, knockbacks, pulls etc. out there.

You thought you came up with a better system to prevent CC-chains Bioware?

Let me tell you, you did not.

CC in this game, ignoring the countless knockbacks, is 100 times more annoying and too readily available compared to "that other game which we based 95% of our concepts on".

At least "the other game" gave each class iconic abilities on fairly long cooldowns that all worked slightly different.

Rogues were the "stun" class but even theirs all worked slightly differently compared to others.

In SWTOR almost every class is a "stun" class or at least that's what it feels like.

In the same way, every 2nd class is the "knockback" class.

Rather than looking out for those abilities, baiting them or trying to avoid them they're simply spammed into oblivion because they're so readily available.

I mean you give Jedi Guardians a Single-Target knockback on a 60 second CD which would be fine in itself but then you give Sages an AoE knockback on a 20 sec CD? Do you know how idiotic that feels going up against 2+ in Huttball?

Amazing how you claim to have so much PvP experience and yet you screw up such basic stuff (let alone Ilum).

Edited by Dee-Jay

Agree.

The amount of CC in this game is absolutely disgusting.

Why is there a two-minute cooldown on the CC break? With this insane amount of CC it needs to be 30 seconds at MOST.

I thought it might actually be cooler if you could break CC every time your Resolve bar hits full.

knockbacks seriously need to be looked at, other than that I think the CC is OK to be honest, except for a few specific things like backlash or roots on overload. good place to start with getting sorcs and sages in line too. Merc/Commando knockback has too much range as well. Edited by mufutiz

I understand that every MMO needs CC and I'm all for it.

But SWTOR is beyond ridiculous when it comes to CC.

The Resolve system is bloody useless in the overwhelming majority of PvP situations (yes I understand how it works) and that just gives free reign to the abundance of 4 sec stuns, knockbacks, pulls etc. out there.

You thought you came up with a better system to prevent CC-chains Bioware?

Let me tell you, you did not.

CC in this game, ignoring the countless knockbacks, is 100 times more annoying and too readily available compared to "that other game which we based 95% of our concepts on".

At least "the other game" gave each class iconic abilities on fairly long cooldowns that all worked slightly different.

Rogues were the "stun" class but even theirs all worked slightly differently compared to others.

In SWTOR almost every class is a "stun" class or at least that's what it feels like.

In the same way, every 2nd class is the "knockback" class.

Rather than looking out for those abilities, baiting them or trying to avoid them they're simply spammed into oblivion because they're so readily available.

I mean you give Jedi Guardians a Single-Target knockback on a 60 second CD which would be fine in itself but then you give Sages an AoE knockback on a 20 sec CD? Do you know how idiotic that feels going up against 2+ in Huttball?

Amazing how you claim to have so much PvP experience and yet you screw up such basic stuff (let alone Ilum).

The way resolve works can be annoying at times, because there is no DR to it. So you'll often end up being stunned in a row, without being able to free yourself. Can be very frustrating on the last meters in Huttball where you'd had probably survived otherwise.

Nevertheless you also have to consider why a Guardian's and a Sages abilities differ. How long you can survive with a number of enemies on your is ages compared to how long a Sage will survive with the same amount of enemies on him.

I dont like the fact that its not that unthinkable to be stunned for 8 straight seconds(possibly by 1 person) if you dont have your CC break off CD. Other than that I think you are off about CC especially the KBs.

If you have a problem with KBs in Huttball it might be a problem with Huttball or it might be a problem with the way you are playing.

The one thing I dont like about KBs is that sometimes they cause people to be in a different spot on my screen than where they really are. Which can cause a lot of problems.

The way resolve works can be annoying at times, because there is no DR to it. So you'll often end up being stunned in a row, without being able to free yourself. Can be very frustrating on the last meters in Huttball where you'd had probably survived otherwise.

Nevertheless you also have to consider why a Guardian's and a Sages abilities differ. How long you can survive with a number of enemies on your is ages compared to how long a Sage will survive with the same amount of enemies on him.

I play both...and in practice my Guardian dies at least twice as much as my Sage.

Yes, the Guardian can take more punishment but he's not nearly as good at avoiding it (which is far more valuable in PvP) and when he does take damage, there's nothing he can really do about it. He's stuck with his low HP until someone comes buy and casually dispatches him. No invisibility, no sprint to the healing power-up, no shields or any fancy tricks up their selves.

But this isn't about Guardians lack of survivability it's about the abundance of CC, which is far more aggravating than in any other previous MMO I've played.

Stuns need to break on damage/ or break after X amount of damage.

Thats not a stun, what you should have said to make this point is you want stuns taken out of the game.

I personally dont think they should go to that kind of extreme. I think they should consider somehow reducing the maximum amount of time you can be stun locked by a little.

Knock backs are all about positioning

When attacking a class with knock backs

Don't stand in a position that will push you off the edge

Not true, there are times where you "knock back" a person positioned the right way and then they go in the complete opposite direction. The physics in this game is pretty bad.

I also want to point out that it is not fun getting hit with that ability where all of your abilities are blacked out, and you can't move for like 5-10 seconds while you watch yourself literally die. Who the heck thought this was a great idea was a dingleberry.

Thats not a stun, what you should have said to make this point is you want stuns taken out of the game.

I personally dont think they should go to that kind of extreme. I think they should consider somehow reducing the maximum amount of time you can be stun locked by a little.

It's a stun. If my player is unable to function while taking damage, I'm stunned. The problem is, there are too many variations of stuns and not enough "crowd control". Less stuns that allow players to beat on you through the duration, and more that break on damage.

The main issue I personally feel is that not only are there to many, but the length of the stun is to long for the amount of damage one player is able to dish out it that time frame.

It's a stun. If my player is unable to function while taking damage, I'm stunned. The problem is, there are too many variations of stuns and not enough "crowd control". Less stuns that allow players to beat on you through the duration, and more that break on damage.

The main issue I personally feel is that not only are there to many, but the length of the stun is to long for the amount of damage one player is able to dish out it that time frame.

I couldn't have said it better myself actually. Too many stuns, and they last too long. Someone else also said that this isn't crowd control, and he's right. They are almost all stuns. It is not fun pvp'ing when you literally cannot control your character.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.