Sentinel with 1 Saber

AMulls

So, bear with me on this, I promise I'm not trying to troll.

Just interested in hearing thoughts on how much damage is actually lost by playing a Sentinel weilding only one saber. I've seen many folks talk about going Guardian because they feel that a Jedi should wield only one saber.

So, my question is, what's to stop you from doing it with a Sentinel? And how much damage output would you lose if you only used one saber and put a strength upping focus in your off hand?

The argument is aesthetics even though it's well-established that there are dual wielding Jedi? This is a ridiculous thread.

My apologies for offending your eyes with a thread other than "why is our class so gimped, BW" or "what's the best rotation to get the most out of PVP" or "your spec is wrong if you don't have it set up exactly this way."

There are certainly some aesthetic reasons behind this: opening all medium armor options for the role as well as having the option to wield two sabers or one. Those would definitely be perks to playing as a Sentinel vs. Guardian, aesthetics-wise.

However, it's not just about aesthetics, since there are completely different skills involved and two new spec trees. From what I've gathered, Sentinel and Guardian are two pretty different play styles.

I'm just curious to see what others think of the viability. How much would the damage output drop when using a single saber? And could it be mitigated somewhat with a focus?

Currently, I'm playing a tank Guardian, and really enjoying it. But this is just one of those hypothetical thoughts that popped into my head and I thought I'd see what everyone else thought.

It's meant to be a fun, lighthearted thread. But to also get feedback on the mechanics and gameplay.

Edited by AMulls

put a strength upping focus in your off hand?

Sentinels do not get certified to use focuses or generators...so you would simply have to have an empty off hand.

Realistically, its not practically, a lot of top end specials require two lightsabers. You could "almost" get away with Focus, since as the shared tree it focuses on more off hand-netural/optional abilities like stasis, exhaustion, zealous leap, and sweep. But even then youd be disadvantaging yourself to do so.

Edited by thepilk

Thanks for the responses. I figured you'd lose a ton, but wasn't sure how much. Good to know. Also good to know that many of the higher skills require two sabers. Guess that makes sense, it being set up for two sabers.

Anyway, was just something I was thinking about, since I'm guessing there are some folks that may have wanted to go one with a certain class, but didn't because of the lightsaber issue.

Also thinking about the same situation with a Shadow. I'm guessing it would also be similar...

Thanks for the responses. I figured you'd lose a ton, but wasn't sure how much. Good to know. Also good to know that many of the higher skills require two sabers. Guess that makes sense, it being set up for two sabers.

Anyway, was just something I was thinking about, since I'm guessing there are some folks that may have wanted to go one with a certain class, but didn't because of the lightsaber issue.

Also thinking about the same situation with a Shadow. I'm guessing it would also be similar...

It would be the same with a shadow. Also some of the not so high level skills would also be affected, like you wouldn't be able to use Zealous Strike.

But if you want a single saber and the robed look of medium armor, there are some orange heavy armors that are pretty similar to the medium versions. So its not all heavy space paladin armor.