Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Too Many People Whining about Having to Put in Effort

Dgall

Here's the way I see it- there's too many people wanting instant gratification from a genre of game designed to reward "e-work" put into your character.

This game is brand new, there WILL be bugs- stop complaining. Enough of the "OMG GAME BREAKING BUG" posts.... just submit a report and move on.

People are running around PvPing in Battlemaster gear and you're ticked that you can instantly have the best gear? Stop whining.

You aren't SUPPOSED to be able to hit 50 and within a day have full Battlemaster. Regardless of what people did before, using whatever means or "glitches" to do it, it just doesn't matter. If anything, it gives you a worthy challenge to better your "e-self." Gear is tiered for a reason. Yeah, you've got to start off with the crappy PvP gear- so what?

To be honest I feel that it's already too easy to get PvP gear. I shouldn't be able to do a couple dailies and get a new piece of gear, but I come from playing MMOs where there really isn't such a thing as "casual play."

An example of the complaints I'm referring to- On my server (and probably most) people go into Ilum for their daily, and leave. I see all this complaining about how "hard" and time consuming the daily is (armament collection), but it's designed to keep people in Ilum to PvP. The longer you are there, the longer the opposing faction is there, the more likely PvP is to break out. More PvP = more fun.

Stop complaining and enjoy the game. This launch has gone off very smoothly and Bioware has taken problems and handled them without breaking stride. Everyone expects a polished game off the bat, but it simply will take time to work out the kinks. HELP BIOWARE HELP YOU! Fill out bug reports, make CONSTRUCTIVE and SPECIFIC forum posts, and just enjoy yourself. Who cares if your class isn't 'balanced?' MMOs are very fluid, classes will go from being "OP" to crap, it's just part of the development cycle.

To Bioware: Please don't listen to the kids and make drastic changes at the behest of some forum whiners. Make reasonable and thoughtful decisions for the betterment of the game itself. I trust you all! This game has so much potential, provided that new content is released in a timely manner I see no reason why this game won't succeed. Good job so far!

Have fun all!

Edited by Dgall

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no one worked for their gear, sorry to inform you but farming level 10s in a full premade is not work, exploiting illum for tens of thousands of valor in one night is not work, fighting other pvpers with centurion level gear was not work

the only people puting in work right now are the fresh 50s who werent around for all the exploiting, and are fighting the BM geared who had it easy mode just because they exploited and abused the game because of biowares stupid decisions

Edited by Bejita

People seem to forget that the point is to play the game and have fun. Not to "work" and get stuff....

Then what's the point of playing a competitive game? It's less subtle here, but in other games you have to "work" by practicing your gameplay, adjusting preparations (like UI, gear, whatever). It's still "work" by anyone's standard.

People are running around PvPing in Battlemaster gear and you're ticked that you can instantly have the best gear? Stop whining.

You aren't SUPPOSED to be able to hit 50 and within a day have full Battlemaster.

You're exactly right. Which is why people are mad. Some people got their full Battlemaster set by the time they were Valor 61, while others put in a lot of effort (as your title suggests) and have nothing.

See, let me put it to you this way. You work 40 hours. I roll a one hundred sided dice, and if it falls on 25 or below, I'll pay you for your work. If it falls on 26 or above, you don't get paid.

Your co worker works 20 hours, and has the same system. He rolls a 22 and gets paid, you roll a 44 and do not. He walks away with a check, while you are broke.

Sound fair?

no one worked for their gear, sorry to inform you but farming level 10s in a full premade is not work, exploiting illum for tens of thousands of valor in one night is not work, fighting other pvpers with centurion level gear was not work

the only people puting in work right now are the fresh 50s who werent around for all the exploiting, and are fighting the BM geared who had it easy mode just because they exploited and abused the game because of biowares stupid decisions

It gives fresh 50s a challenge, as there's always a bigger fish in the e-sea.

Where I'm coming from: Shut it, stop complaining about it, stop asking for free gear, and go about your business. It's a great feeling to win a Huttball against a battlemaster group by having better teamplay.

You're kinda mixing issues.

Wanting epics so you can stand in the Fleet and think you're impressing those around you is not the same as needing the gear to be competitive.

Yeah, all of us that had 50s with atleast close to full Champ gear before the 50s bracket was put in forget sometimes but to a new player/character the imbalance is pretty extreme.

Always have the people that come in and cry, "but we put in the time, we earned it."

Lol, really? Earned? Killing level 10s in a WZ is a 50 in full rng Champ gear was nothing more than luck due to a poor design by BW.

So now we have level 50 brackets. First people there are decked in their epics that were earned with LESS effort than new 50s who have to be repeatedly destroyed by veterans in their BM gear.

It's unfortunate so many people can only see one side of an issue.

But for some they'd actually have to deleted there BM char, make a new one, level to 50 and see how frusterating endless deaths based on gear and not any kind of skill are.

Sound fair?

Life isn't fair. I'm sorry to tell you but there's no fix for people who were the first subscribers using glitches to get the best gear. It's just tough sh*t. What is Bioware to do? Strip everyone of PvP ranks and gear? Please....

For the WoWers out there, look at it this way. Say I gitched in Alterac Valley and got my Unstoppable Force and HWL gear before anyone else. Does it really matter in Burning Crusade? Sure it seems like a big deal now, but as more people come aboard the percentage of people who glitched slowly but surely dwindles.

You're kinda mixing issues.

Wanting epics so you can stand in the Fleet and think you're impressing those around you is not the same as needing the gear to be competitive.

Yeah, all of us that had 50s with atleast close to full Champ gear before the 50s bracket was put in forget sometimes but to a new player/character the imbalance is pretty extreme.

Always have the people that come in and cry, "but we put in the time, we earned it."

Lol, really? Earned? Killing level 10s in a WZ is a 50 in full rng Champ gear was nothing more than luck due to a poor design by BW.

So now we have level 50 brackets. First people there are decked in their epics that were earned with LESS effort than new 50s who have to be repeatedly destroyed by veterans in their BM gear.

It's unfortunate so many people can only see one side of an issue.

But for some they'd actually have to deleted there BM char, make a new one, level to 50 and see how frusterating endless deaths based on gear and not any kind of skill are.

Look at it this way- People who "earn" Battlemaster gear now would have to fight against people in better gear instead of level 10s, thus hopefully making them a more effective PvPer.

Sorry about the issue mixing, I'm at work and had to get this off my gamer chest.

Here's your flaw. MMOs don't HAVE to be designed around e-work.

And truth be told, most gamers are sick of it.

So we just give everyone the best gear and say "have at it?" I don't get the mentality that expects things in an MMO to just be given to you. Since there's only so much "skill' involved, players must be rewarded via time played- as with any genre.

What do you think a rank system in a game really is? It's not a measure of "skill," simply time played.

Welcome to the modern day gamer grind.

Edited by Dgall

Then what's the point of playing a competitive game? It's less subtle here, but in other games you have to "work" by practicing your gameplay, adjusting preparations (like UI, gear, whatever). It's still "work" by anyone's standard.

It is not work. It is called playing the game. You are supposed to be paying to have fun, not paying to grind just so you get the gear you want. People complaining that they don't have gear is stupid because having the gear does not make the game any more fun. RPGS are about the journey. Sit back, enjoy the game for all the cool stuff it has to offer, and stop worrying that someone else has better gear.

I am not geared, I enjoy this game. I will get better gear in time, but I am not playing specifically to get better gear.

fps and rts you do not have to "work"

even better, if something is OP you can press a button and start using that unit/weapon too compared to the hundreds of hours of investing in a character.

i dont particularly disagree with the concept of tiered gearing as long as you can get it within a reasonably amount of time (of course, what is reasonable differs from person to person). im only valor rank 30, and ive calculated that it will take me another 120 hours to get to 60 (on top of the 40 hours ive already poured in). and thats with the ilum buff and using the ice water to get a free 2 medals. thats close to a solid week of playing non stop 24/7. that is unreasonable.

could you imagine SC2 used such a system? when you started to play multiplayer you could only use two units, after 10 hours of play you will unlock another unit and so forth.

Edited by Ryotknife

So we just give everyone the best gear and say "have at it?" I don't get the mentality that expects things in an MMO to just be given to you. Since there's only so much "skill' involved, players must be rewarded via time played.

god i am sick of you things... you are not even intelligent enough to understand that they do it for the sole reason of money and NOTHING ELSE yet you defend it and try to find good points on a capitalist money profit in game mechanic.....

if you were just saying thats its for profit and that it wont change then its understandable but DEFENDING THAT KIND OF SYSTEM IS SICK

Edited by Labradoraki

So we just give everyone the best gear and say "have at it?" I don't get the mentality that expects things in an MMO to just be given to you. Since there's only so much "skill' involved, players must be rewarded via time played- as with any genre.

What do you think a rank system in a game really is? It's not a measure of "skill," simply time played.

Welcome to the modern day gamer grind.

Ideally, you'd develop a game where skill matters more than gear.

But nah, probably safer and easier just to copy WoW.

*OP snip*

This is exactly what I've been saying for a while now. Not a single thing since December 13th has been gamebreaking or made the game unplayable for me. I did the grind and got all my gear and now all I see is people who can't have it handed to them whining and moaning about how they should have gear handed to them.

To anyone who thinks otherwise, I grinded my first character up to battlemaster and got gear when it was ALL chance (11 offhands and 9 main hands looking at you), and I leveled up another character and got it to battlemaster dealing with the "already fully geared battlemasters". It wasn't bad at all. And honestly, everytime you complain it just makes you seem too incompetent to play the game and you need stuff handed to you when other people put in the time and effort to get it.

In short; stop complaining and just play the damn game.

Everything up to 50 was fun, grinding to get battle master and now I'm bored so moved onto an alt. To me that's not a good thing.

Don't get me wrong I love the game, up to 50 nothing felt like a grind.

Just let me have a casual PvP option where everyones gear is balanced on entry to the war zone.

You guys are welcome to continue your grind if that's what you like. More power to you. I just want to play.

Edited by TimothyJForde

You're a fool. Also, a crybaby.

"PvP" that has gear that offers statistical advantages is not Player versus Player, it is Character versus Character and is basically a Raid with no lockout.

If you want to play actual PvP, you need to do it in a game like Guild Wars where the PvP and PvE are (correctly) separated into to completely separate subgames that have no crossover (other than your name and your class being the same).

If you want to defend Character versus Character because you enjoy rolling over people who haven't played as long as you, that's fine, but don't insult real PvPer us by calling what you do "skill" or "PvP".

god i am sick of you things... you are not even intelligent enough to understand that they do it for the sole reason of money and NOTHING ELSE yet you defend it and try to find good points on a capitalist money profit in game mechanic.....

if you were just saying thats its for profit and that it wont change then its understandable but DEFENDING THAT KIND OF SYSTEM IS SICK

Getting a little political eh?

It's a business, nothing else. OF COURSE they're in it to make money, you think Bioware is staffed with volunteers?

I'm not sure of your point, as it's generally assumed that businesses operate to make money.

Ideally, you'd develop a game where skill matters more than gear.

But nah, probably safer and easier just to copy WoW.

That's called an RTS.

I'd love to hear your suggestions regarding specific changes to make the game more "skill oriented."

No offense, but this kind of post is next to useless.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.