Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Workarounds for People Who Have Migraines

StrikeOfLight

This topic is about the small group of people getting migraines from the last UI changes as it currently stands, but is not about discussing the UI changes from last patch. Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------

First, let me explain exactly why the latest UI changes in the game are making certain individuals, (myself included), get migraines and feel motion sick:

Peripheral vision plays a big role in motion sickness. The last patch added in a flashing effect that occupies all but the top sides of the screen, which in turn occupies all but the top sides of your peripheral vision. The new flashing on three sides is bombarding the brain with confusing signals, and is putting undue stress on the brain as it hasn't done so before the patch. This induces a motion-sickness effect, which makes a group of people completely unable to play the game without gaining headaches, nausea, dizziness, and in extreme cases, even seizures.

Developers plan to add options designed to alleviate these problems and state that changes will be made on February 20th, but until then, here is a list of handy tips that might help people:

WORKAROUNDS:

#1. Position the computer screen further away from you. This keeps the flashing UI out of your peripheral vision so you don't get sick as quickly.

#2. Adjust the resolution so the UI is tiny. The smaller they are, the less they bother me.

#3. Turn the gamma (brightness) down to limit the brightness of the flashing effect.

#4. Sunglasses. Yes, I said sunglasses. Put on a pair of shades, and then adjust the gamma (brightness) so you can see the screen alright but not be bothered as much by the flashing UI. This sounds silly, but it works.

#5. Take a break every hour or so. This one is HUGELY important. Get up, go grab something to drink/eat, and move around for a few minutes. This clears your head and stops the buildup of the motion sickness effect.

#6. Play in a well-lit open space. This is also very important, and helps tremendously.

#7. Play in a WINDOWED MODE, manually shrink the window, and adjust it to be in the center of the screen. This takes the UI flashing OUT of the peripheral vision and stops the problem. This last tip made a ton of difference for me.

#8. Reshuffling all of your core abilities to the bottom action slots have resulted in headache/nausea-free playing for some people on the forums. The thought behind this is that you aren't bombarded as much with information from the sides.

---------------------------------------------------------------

For me, I still can't play very well for extended periods of time, but I have managed to SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the frequency and duration of the motion-sickness effect. Combining a few of these steps has limited how bad my headaches are and has allowed me to play for a few hours and not feel too awful. I pass this on to all the other people out there feeling ill from the new UI, and I hope these tips help many of you out.

Developers, Customer Service: Feel free to quote these tips at the people telling you that they feel ill through tickets. Better than nothing, which is what you currently tell them.

Enjoy, and see you in game!

Edited by StrikeOfLight

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Moderators:

I have reworded the thread and title to change the topic. This thread is now about people getting migraines from the game. I made sure the topics aren't the same anymore from the other thread discussing the CHANGES to the UI, so (hopefully) this thread can remain open. Thank you! :)

Edited by StrikeOfLight

#5. Take a break every hour or so. This one is HUGELY important. Get up, go grab something to drink/eat, and move around for a few minutes. This clears your head and stops the buildup of the motion sickness effect.

Tbh everyone should be doing this when using the computer, regardless if it's this game your playing or doing something else.

Tbh everyone should be doing this when using the computer, regardless if it's this game your playing or doing something else.

Yep.

Some people get so zoned in that they forget. It is very important, especially for people who are having migraines, to take a break every now and then so the brain can refresh. :)

Moderators:

I have reworded the thread and title to change the topic. This thread is now about people getting migraines from the game. I made sure the topics aren't the same anymore from the other thread discussing the CHANGES to the UI, so (hopefully) this thread can remain open. Thank you! :)

It's sad someone who is clearly trying to help other players feels the need to put in a disclaimer to avoid having their thread locked/moved/deleted.

It's sad someone who is clearly trying to help other players feels the need to put in a disclaimer to avoid having their thread locked/moved/deleted.

They locked my last one, but I re-worded the thread so they don't lock it again. I received assurance that it won't be locked again via PM from a mod. Thankfully.

Edited by StrikeOfLight

Nice post. As a person who suffers from migraines, I appreciate you posting these suggestions to help people who do not experience migraines regularly. All of those suggestions are very good and will help people minimize the impact of the UI. In particular, I recommend the sun glasses option. You don't need a really dark set of sun glasses. I use a set of amber lenses to mute bright lights when I'm having issues. The most important thing is to have good anti-glare protection so it softens the sudden brightness of the GCD.

Another suggestion is to play a character with less reliance on procs. Right now, I can't play my Telekinetic Sage because I would spend too much time staring at the buffs for my procs. I'm playing a Guardian right now and the more predictable rotation allows me to keep the bottom icons in my peripheral vision while I'm in combat.

As an undergraduate neuroscience student, if a game of this magnitude is causing you headaches or migraines, you simply shouldn't be playing at all.

Protect the long term health of your brain. Plain and simple.

It is because of some recent changes they made. It will only be a problem for another 11 days. We were all fine before, and when the changes get here in about two weeks, this will all be cleared up.

I'm fine. Thank you for your concern. :)

Just FYI to everyone truly interested in this topic. I just got back from a recent eye exam. They bumped my contact prescription up from -7.5 to -8.0. The doctor asked me what I do for a living, and I told him I am an office admin, I sit at a desk and work on a computer all day, and added I play on my computer as a hobby after work.

He told me that is why my eyesight is getting progressively more nearsighted, I'm never giving my eyes a chance to relax. He strongly recommended that every 15 minutes or so I should take my eyes off the monitor and try to focus on something off in the distance out a window for a few minutes.

I figure that advice would benefit everyone, not just those with poor eyesight.

Nobody is getting a migrane from the flashing ability bars that already weren't getting migranes from the countless flashing spell effects and visual effects throughout this entire game.

StrikeofLight insists otherwise. We can't stand in his/her shoes so we have to assume he isn't lying.

Nobody is getting a migrane from the flashing ability bars that already weren't getting migranes from the countless flashing spell effects and visual effects throughout this entire game.

StrikeofLight insists otherwise. We can't stand in his/her shoes so we have to assume he isn't lying.

Lots of people in the link below say they are. I am one such person. I was alright before the patch, and so were the dozens and dozens of others claiming to have similar problems within the thread below, (and the other threads before that which were locked because they were so long).

Enjoy.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=285083

Edited by StrikeOfLight

That is not true. The intensity of the new cooldown UI is significantly worse than the spell effects on the screen. The spell effects are somewhat muted by the background textures and variety of colors. The contrast isn't as intense.

For the ability bars, having 20-24 buttons suddenly light up brighter than the already white UI is extremely jarring to people. Many people don't realize they are sensitive until something like this occurs to trigger their migraines.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.