Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

The only thing they've answered is "post-launch". It's post-launch and SGR is not here. Clarifications are needed.

Exactly. I thought they might have released the same gender romance on Valentine's day, which would make since, but now we don't know when they are going to make this happen.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

umm, looks to me like they already have. i'm not sure if the devs are being trolled, or if people are just being intentionally obtuse because they didn't like the answer they got...

Considering that it is the same answer that players got from Blizzard regarding player housing or heroic classes other than death knight in WoW, and the same answer people got from Mythic regarding the four missing capitols in WAR, I am not surprised that more information than "we are adding it sometime" is requested.

Edited by Wittand

umm, looks to me like they already have. i'm not sure if the devs are being trolled, or if people are just being intentionally obtuse because they didn't like the answer they got...

If anyone is being intentionally obtuse....

No. Just no. We have NOT gotten an answer. And if we have I would ask you to link it, please, for the benefit of all who are reading this thread.

1. There was an announcement that SGRA's would be in the game.

2. There was another announcement that SGRA's would not be in the game at launch, but would be a post-launch feature.

3. It is post-launch.

4. People have been asking for information regarding the implementation, timeline, and other specifics.

5. THERE HAS BEEN NO ANSWER.

The only thing they've answered is "post-launch". It's post-launch and SGR is not here. Clarifications are needed.

Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature. Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options.

looks pretty clear to me. oh, and just to be clear i'm disappointed they left the option for same gender relationships out as well. that doesn't change the facts though.

The definition of "content expansion" is key, and I remember that we've turned those words over and over in previous incarnations of this thread trying to interpret their meaning.

It's simply not clear if they mean any kind of content addition, like the flashpoint they've recently added, or a fully fledged WoW-like expansion (the ones you pay for and that are more than a year apart).

I don't see *anything* there about a timetable, nor any answers to the many questions of how the implementation will work. It's basically just a vague, verbose, "post-launch" reiteration.

Indeed. Even the phrase "content expansions" isn't really clear. They just added a new flashpoint with 1.1. Is that considered a "content expansion"? Or do they mean that SGRA's will only appear with an actual PAID expansion pack?

The available information is far from crystal-clear.

EDIT: Lol, gekko, you beat me to it!

Edited by mrcaptainpants

I've spent a much-needed day away from my computer and I see a bunch of new pages. Go go Gadget Conversation.

I am disappointed. I am disheartened. I am saddened and annoyed by the lack of response we're getting. Sorry to say but my respect for Bioware Austin (and bear in mind this is not the entirety of Bioware, just one branch) has taken something of a nosedive since this round of Q&As went by.

But I will not give up.

I won't let this go. We need more information. Ours is not an unreasonable request. We're not asking for the entire game to change overnight. We're not making spurious demands to have this implemented before other content types. We're not, for the most part, even using bad language.

There is no reason that I can see for this continued silence. I won't simply give up and walk away. I'm going to keep voicing my opinion until we get some communication, content or both. No doubt there's other content to settle. Undeniably the task of getting regional Asia-Pacific servers set up must be taxing. True that there's a lot of other people all clamouring to be heard, but a simple bit of communication is all that's required.

Continued silence isn't good enough, and I for one am not just going to go away.

It's time you paid attention, Bioware. It's time for a chat.

Continued silence isn't good enough, and I for one am not just going to go away.

It's time you paid attention, Bioware. It's time for a chat.

Sigh. Yep. I just followed Uluain's example and sent two messages, one using the contact page , and the other using the email address feedback@swtor.com .

I guess if they don't want to come to the thread to chat with us, we have to bring the chat to them using other channels. How disappointing, though. This whole experience is really beginning to tarnish Bioware's reputation for me.

I am disappointed. I am disheartened. I am saddened and annoyed by the lack of response we're getting.

But I will not give up.

Good. We shouldn't.

We will see snide, derisive, mocking posts from those who roll their eyes at us because we keep asking, frequently and visibly. I already flagged an obvious troll in the latest Q&A and the mods removed it. Some I've rebutted, most I've ignored.

It is heartening to see so many respond to a non-answer this week by wading right back into the Q&A thread once again. I think that as long as they a.) offer that and b.) decline to answer, we should continue.

Looking back at earlier suggestions of mine, yeah, a "glitter bomb" of the Guild Leader Summit may be over the top. But trying to find a sympathetic delegate to press this issue seems reasonable to me. Anyone going, or know someone who is?

Edit - also, changed my forum sig today. :)

Edited by Uluain

Well, I just got a response to my email. It is as follows:

Dear *****,

I have received your ticket concerning Same Gender Romance Arcs.

Thank you for contacting us with your concerns about this issue.

We must advise you that the statement previously posted by our Community Team on the official forums is the only comment BioWare will be making on this matter.

As such we are unable to offer any further response to questions raised about this issue.

I apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

Should you require assistance with any other issues, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Which I take to mean "So stop asking already."

NOT encouraging.

Edit - also, changed my forum sig today. :)

I noticed. I like it. :)

EDIT: I also just sent a copy of my message to the email address contact@bioware , since it is the parent company. Guess I have to get mommy and daddy involved. :rolleyes:

Edited by mrcaptainpants

Well, I just got a response to my email. It is as follows:

Which I take to mean "So stop asking already."

NOT encouraging.

Well, that is at least an admission that they have nothing to say, but I had figured as much given the thundering silence the subject has lately received.

However, I for one do not accept that as settling the matter. If they don't have anything to say, they would do well to come up with something, sooner rather than later.

EDIT: I also just sent a copy of my message to the email address contact@bioware , since it is the parent company. Guess I have to get mommy and daddy involved. :rolleyes:

Edmonton is still responsible for all that comes out under the BioWare label. I don't know what kind of authority they exert over Austin, but it can't hurt to go to the top.

Speaking of, isn't BioWare actually a sub-label of EA?

They are, yes, but I'm not certain how much good it would do to email EA. They don't exactly have the best reputation for caring what their customers think. About anything.

I wouldn't know about that.

I do know that they are very proud of their recognition as LGBT-inclusive on the employment front (see link).

And while they do not, in fact, post a contact email address, there is other possibly relevant information on their site. In any case, at that level, I would use a paper letter sent by post.

I have not pestered them yet, but if that email is any indication, we cannot expect much out of Austin any time soon. So I am thinking about it. I won't mail anything unless I can put it clearly, concisely and with the right tone.

Funny the writing exercises I seem to be giving myself these days. Well, it's all practice.

I personally would like the toggle switch for same-sex romances, some characters I would play as straight and others as bi, for me it all depends on the class of character and the personality of the character that I attach to it. For example I might play a Bi Imperial Agent because I feel that this would be more in tune with the class and things that this character might be required to do to accomplish the mission, or maybe a Homosexual smuggler or a straight trooper (just for example). But I would like the option to turn it on or at least identify my preferences for that character.

Well I added my question to the Q&A again, but I don't think another week is going to bring us answers. In fact, I don't think we are going to hear anything substantive out of Austin for a long, long time. To me it feels like the inclusion of this content was blocked pre-launch by forces higher in the chain - keep in mind we aren't dealing with just Bioware here, but also EA and LucasArts.

It feels like they are just going to point back to their vague "post-launch" comment and hope we go away because they are afraid of further backlash if they actually take a stand and say "no, we will not be including this". Much like many of the features in WOW that have been much requested and promised by the developers only to become vaporware.

Do I know any of that for certain? No, of course not. I could just be paranoid. I hope I am. However, I do have an inside the industry perspective. My SO works for a direct competitor of this game at another MMO company (No, I'm not saying which :p ). I can tell you that they are typically working on at least 3 patches ahead of time at the same time and their development is planned months, if not years ahead. Of course those plans can, and do change as to what is included. So if SGRA content was to be included anytime "soon" Bioware should have at least some idea of how they want to implement it. Assuming of course that they follow a similar pattern in their development.

Just my 2 cents.

PS. If/When SGRA is added, please let us romance current companions. <3 Kira

I don't see *anything* there about a timetable, nor any answers to the many questions of how the implementation will work. It's basically just a vague, verbose, "post-launch" reiteration.

you don't see where it essentially says future companions will have additional romance options? oh well, i think i'm being trolled so i'm out. good luck with whatever it is you're trying to accomplish...

It feels like they are just going to point back to their vague "post-launch" comment and hope we go away because they are afraid of further backlash if they actually take a stand and say "no, we will not be including this".

Until I got the response from customer service saying that "the response posted by our Community Team on the official forums is the only response Bioware will be making on this issue.", I would not have believed you.

Now, however...I'm afraid you may be correct.

I mean, its one thing to say that a statement is currently the only information available. But to tell someone that a statement is the only thing that ever WILL be said about the matter is something else entirely. It is a completely dismissive statement.

Incidentally, does anyone know where, on the official forums, this "statement" exists?

In any case, my continued subscription is looking less likely every day. Its truly sad that I may end up choosing to cancel, not because of any feature that isn't being offered in the game, but because Bioware refuses to even discuss the matter with the GLBT community.

Until yesterday, I would never have believed it. :confused:

you don't see where it essentially says future companions will have additional romance options? oh well, i think i'm being trolled so i'm out. good luck with whatever it is you're trying to accomplish...

For pete's sake, yes, people can see how it *could* mean that. But you yourself just said it "essentially" says that. If it was so crystal-freakin' clear, why did you use the word "essentially"?

We are asking for clarification because it is NOT clear, and your use of the word "essentially" means that you know it too. So kindly stop accusing others of trolling.

I was sort of interested in the same-gender romance thing at the start of the game, but then seeing how insignificant companion relationships are in the game (what, 3-4 conversations and some gifts in the mail?), I stopped caring. Also, I think they said it was only going to be implemented for future companions no?

Also, I think they said it was only going to be implemented for future companions no?

No.

They made a comment, vaguely saying that same-gender relationships will be added post-launch, and that it may include future companions.

The entire statement is one tricky dance. The entire point of this thread is to CLARIFY, because we haven't been offered enough information.

For instance, if only future companions are going to be open to same-gender relationships?

I'm canceling. I enjoy the game well enough, but I am not going to sit here and pay for upwards of a year only to get LESS content eventually than people who pay the same price as me. It's a matter of principle.

I have supported Bioware ever since KotOR, but if they no longer value me as an LGBT gamer, I have no reason to support them over the dozens of other game companies out there. Other game companies can weave great stories, have interesting characters, and all that jazz. The only thing that kept my undying loyalty was Bioware's dedication to inclusiveness.

Edited by Raiellyn

"We must advise you that the statement previously posted by our Community Team on the official forums is the only comment BioWare will be making on this matter. "

Will be making, huh?

Ok. Guess it's time to cancel my sub as well. Which would be a little more meaningful if I hadn't bought 6 months up front, but what can you do?