The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What Effect Did Star Wars: The Old Republic’s Launch Have on World of Warcraft?

Chromiie

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if it was this game or people just getting sick of WoW but my server on WoW was pretty much dead from the moment this game came out. I went from being able to find pugs for any raid to being lucky to get one guild run in in a week.

My server is doing just fine, no dip whatsoever. Of the 100+ actual people of the 300+ people in my guild, 6 went to swtor, and 2 play with any regularity. I switched, although I still sub WoW, but lets be realistic. SWTOR did not make a dent.

My server is doing just fine, no dip whatsoever. Of the 100+ actual people of the 300+ people in my guild, 6 went to swtor, and 2 play with any regularity. I switched, although I still sub WoW, but lets be realistic. SWTOR did not make a dent.

maybe because SWTOR was launched at the very end of the Q4??

Q1 report will show how good/bad SWTOR is doing and if WoW is still bleeding subs.

even with 4.3, Annual pass and Christimas, they still losed subs.

Q1 will be a great punch in the face for wow

I always chuckle when I see comments like this. ATVI's performance is far better than EA's. Even with the strong start of TOR it is dwarfed by WoW and the money that it brings to the table. What is sad is even with TOR out now EA had to lower their own forecasts for earnings and revenue for this quarter. Looks like TOR isn't going to be the savior they hoped it would be.

Saw this over at Kotaku.

Had to admit I chuckled at this.

Mike Morhaime is not taking into account the drop of 2.6 million active accounts they already lost in 2011. You can bet a large part of the players just temp moved to MMOs like Rift, Runes of Magic, Lord of the Rings Online, Allods and so on. Yes all the games saw a large increase in players in 2011. Also remember the size or wow has drop a lot on NA and EU. Only way Blizzard got the 10+ million subs is it started counting China version too.

I would rather see the drop they had in Jan 2012. Also Feb 2012 maybe bad for them since GW2 is going to a larger beta. I may or may not get the game at release. But a lot of people are looking forward to that game.

Blizzard even cancelled Blizzcon tells you something is not going good for wow.

Edited by Romiz

I always chuckle when I see comments like this. ATVI's performance is far better than EA's. Even with the strong start of TOR it is dwarfed by WoW and the money that it brings to the table. What is sad is even with TOR out now EA had to lower their own forecasts for earnings and revenue for this quarter. Looks like TOR isn't going to be the savior they hoped it would be.

They lost 1.8 million subs during a year with 3 tiers of raid content in it.

There is no new content until MoP at the end of this year.

That means at least nine months of just playing DS over and over again.

People be crazy but one thing they are not is dumb.

At yet they still have 10 million subs. Doing something right.

Then how the heck did people manage to keep playing through TotC and TotGC, then followed by a tremendously long stretch of ICC for so long? Man, we were so easily tricked, and still are.

My guild was 1 day short of getting grand crusader title and I'm still niffed about that. I once also cost the guild an immortal run :mad: wotlk had some bad memories

Edited by stuw

Saw this over at Kotaku.

Had to admit I chuckled at this.

This is exactly what SWTOR did with their press release.

SWTOR started on Dec 20 abouts so most peoples subs didnt run out until after Jan 1. So they said it didnt have an effect and the way they worded it they are not lying. So if you think WoW is lying about it then what makes you think SWTOR wasnt lying. The truth is both were lying.

Issue is, guys, TOR should have blown out of the water WOW.

A seven years old game playerbase have barely flinched with the launch of TOR

This is a VERY bad sign.

Look at EQ/EQ2 when WOW launched for comparison.

EDIT: This is why Mike seemed somewhat happy. They were expecting a Katrina and got a light sprinkle instead.

Edited by PjPablo

A lot of people where probably sitting on the fence, wondering if they should go TOR or WoW.

I would say that a lot of people were not extremelly impressed.

BTW guys, I have in the room I type this a shelve filled with SW book. I'm EXACTLY the kind of public TOR aims at. I love tor

But I can't help to notice that I tried to make a group with my healer for 30 minutes today, on fleet, at peak hour-my Shaman got a spot in a LFR in exactly seven seconds.

Edited by Angedechu

I imagine ToR is a running joke around Blizz right about now.

Yeah, cuz they are all 12 yr olds there. Grow up, competition is good and Im pretty sure that Blizzard would much rather have a real competitor than a pile of F2P games nobody cares about.

It's funny that anyone thought ToR would kill WoW.

TOR could have killed WoW if they did it right. WoW is just asking to be kicked off the top but since no one has the testes to do something different they wont. Copying WoW no matter who does it will not beat WoW.