Powertech - Advanced Class (using all of your skills)

Xandermpls

I keep seeing this come up in the forums here so I thought I would just post this to get it out of my system.

1. Use all of your skills

2. Equip all of your skills

3. Enable LEFT & RIGHT quick bars

4. EXPAND your bottom center quick bar

• Unload is useful for heat management, with a long cast time it is great when you need to stop, yes you will have to rapid shot to get to it, but if your overheated at that point watch how useful this is.

• Missile blast - AOE 30M RANGED attack (seriously need I say more?)

• Shoulder blast - HIGH DAMAGE NO HEAT COST!

• The list goes on and on I don't need to tell you what your attack do.

:confused:

I will however say this:

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

If you want to be an Expert - "Elite" Powertech EQUIP all of your skills. Yes, some are situation based (for example sticking a explosive dart so someone doesn't go stealth etc) but they are all useful and at the very moment you need it and you don't even have the option to use it, you are only gimping yourself.

Use logic. Use your terrain. Watch your cool downs. Most important watch your enemies and your teammates/group. Make alts and learn the classes that keep beating you, find their weakness and then destroy them.

Well.. in pvp flamethrower and missile blast are easily not viable. And I almost never use unload and still find myself with 2 deaths maximum and top damage/kills in pvp. I guess it just depends on playstyle. Edited by Ramosus

Well.. in pvp flamethrower and missile blast are easily not viable. And I almost never use unload and still find myself with 2 deaths maximum and top damage/kills in pvp. I guess it just depends on playstyle.

Flamethrower is viable in pvp, especially in void star. Missile Blast is also great in void star. They should definitely be somewhere accessible if not on a commonly used key (my missile blast is 2 and my flamethrower is shift+3). I find I use Missile Blast a lot when playing Void Star just to stop people from capping in groups. Unload can be brutal in PvP when unleashed against Sorcs/Consulars. It will easily drop them.

It definitely does depend on play style. The only skill I would say take off your skill bar (for pvp) would be Shoulder Slam as...you can't use it in pvp. But shoulder slam is really great in PvE for killing the little guys quickly.

Flamethrower is viable in pvp, especially in void star. Missile Blast is also great in void star. They should definitely be somewhere accessible if not on a commonly used key (my missile blast is 2 and my flamethrower is shift+3). I find I use Missile Blast a lot when playing Void Star just to stop people from capping in groups. Unload can be brutal in PvP when unleashed against Sorcs/Consulars. It will easily drop them.

It definitely does depend on play style. The only skill I would say take off your skill bar (for pvp) would be Shoulder Slam as...you can't use it in pvp. But shoulder slam is really great in PvE for killing the little guys quickly.

I agree on the situational use of flamethrower, missle blast, AND flame sweep. If DFA is down and some guys are crowding on a door/node it is fun as can be to jump in , carbonize, flamesweep, flamesweep, flamesweep, vent gas, flamesweep, flamesweep - lol the dps numbers fly. If my buddies are also dropping AOE in there, we can drop a pack of enemies in a few seconds. It's great cause you make such a spectacle of yourself twirling around spewing fire, that the enemies often get tunnel vision trying to kill you, ignoring your healer and friends who are also dumping AOE.

Maybe it's not the most efficient use of my heat/dps, but it sure is fun. Can pull big aoe numbers with just 1 dart + flamethrower on a similar pack, also - but not nearly as hysterical.

Explosive Dart, Flame Sweep and FLamethrower all have situational uses, but if anyone unsure about their class is reading this ignore everything said about Missile Blast, there is no situation where this is a effective use of heat compared to your many other skills, its a horrible skill that shouldnt even be on your bars

I agree on the situational use of flamethrower, missle blast, AND flame sweep. If DFA is down and some guys are crowding on a door/node it is fun as can be to jump in , carbonize, flamesweep, flamesweep, flamesweep, vent gas, flamesweep, flamesweep - lol the dps numbers fly. If my buddies are also dropping AOE in there, we can drop a pack of enemies in a few seconds. It's great cause you make such a spectacle of yourself twirling around spewing fire, that the enemies often get tunnel vision trying to kill you, ignoring your healer and friends who are also dumping AOE.

Maybe it's not the most efficient use of my heat/dps, but it sure is fun. Can pull big aoe numbers with just 1 dart + flamethrower on a similar pack, also - but not nearly as hysterical.

It's your friends' AOE that's bringing down that pack of players, not Flame Sweep. Flame Sweep is good for interrupting a group, but spamming it isn't a great idea.

Course it is - unless they were all hurt already which has happend many times, I jump into a pack that's got several people low health, flamesweep, flamesweep, flamesweep - 3 dead enemies. It's quick and sometimes it's your only AOE option.

If you read what I wrote, I acknowledged that one of the primary benefits is that it makes a spectacle of you, letting your team go to work while enemies are like, "let me kill that #@$ twirling around spraying fire!"

PS - I'm not dumb. I realize this isn't efficient heat usage. Sometimes this game is more about having some fun than doing the most efficient thing. At least for me.

Edited by Rophez

[*]Missile blast - AOE 30M RANGED attack (seriously need I say more?)

I think you do need to say more, yes.

I removed missile blast from my quickbars mid-way through leveling and haven't thought about using it since because its not an effective use of heat.

Flamethrower is useful when you get several people grouped up at close range focusing on someone/something other than you. It can put out some serious damage while it's channeled and has a huge cone.

Flame Sweep and Missile blast best use is to interrupt multiple people trying to arm/disarm the door trying to use either as pure damage dealing is generally not worth the heat. Missile blast in particular is good at range with multiple people on the door and DFA on cool down.

Explosive Dart, Flame Sweep and FLamethrower all have situational uses, but if anyone unsure about their class is reading this ignore everything said about Missile Blast, there is no situation where this is a effective use of heat compared to your many other skills, its a horrible skill that shouldnt even be on your bars

What do you do when you need to stop 3 cappers on a Voidstar door or Alderaan turret and you're 30m away, everyone else is dead, and DFA is on cd?

Do you really waste the time running all the way up to them every single time?

What do you do when you need to stop 3 cappers on a Voidstar door or Alderaan turret and you're 30m away, everyone else is dead, and DFA is on cd?

Do you really waste the time running all the way up to them every single time?

As a pyrotech, you use incendiary missile on each of them thus keeping them from capturing the door for quite a long while even if they kill you immediately. I guess if they were all about to cap it in about 2 seconds you could use missile blast, but those situations are rare.

As a shield tech, you jump in and use flame sweep.

As an AP, why are you AP?

As a pyrotech, you use incendiary missile on each of them thus keeping them from capturing the door for quite a long while even if they kill you immediately. I guess if they were all about to cap it in about 2 seconds you could use missile blast, but those situations are rare.

As a shield tech, you jump in and use flame sweep.

As an AP, why are you AP?

So you are going to take 3-4 seconds while they are capping to hit each of them w/ incendiary missiles? I used to do this also.

Missile Blast is much faster and you can put the dot on them after you've already stopped the cap.

/shrug.

I'm a hybrid. Hydraulic Overrides and synergy. I would jump in if I could, looks like fun, hehe.

Edited by Varicite

I think you do need to say more, yes.

I removed missile blast from my quickbars mid-way through leveling and haven't thought about using it since because its not an effective use of heat.

Sigh.

How else are you going to do aoe damage from 30m away as a powertech instant cast?

Whats Shoulder Slam? Never heard or even seen this ability...

Also i havent used any of my missiles since like lvl 40...jus sayin

Neural Dart - use this for people ganking your healer

Explosive Dart - handy for when your target runs away

Sonic Missile - use this for people ganking your healer

Missile Blast - AOE RANGED

Unload - heat management due to long cast time.

Death From Above - AOE RANGED

Should slam is a PVE only skill (atm) but it generates zero (0) that is right, NO HEAT. So I encourage people to use it.

I am simply stating it is not wise to remove the skills or attacks.

Some people will say this,

"You only NEED this on your toolbar" or "This is the best build/rotation" or "This is worthless"

My point is. All are useful. Any bounty hunter (I was a master bounty hunter/carbineer in starwars galaxies preCU/CU/NGE then /quit) will tell you to utilize all of your skills.

Knowing when to use that one skill will make or break the fight/cap/win or raid.

Having the option to stand at range and fire support missiles (neural dart/sonic missile) should not be overlooked. Often times in these threads people don't even read what they type I swear.

Flamethrower is useful when you get several people grouped up at close range focusing on someone/something other than you. It can put out some serious damage while it's channeled and has a huge cone.

Flame Sweep and Missile blast best use is to interrupt multiple people trying to arm/disarm the door trying to use either as pure damage dealing is generally not worth the heat. Missile blast in particular is good at range with multiple people on the door and DFA on cool down.

Exactly. (I am not criticizing you simply quoting your genius) having a CD of other attacks and having the OPTION to fire a 30M AOE RANGED attack to prevent a win/lose.

My point is. All are useful. Any bounty hunter (I was a master bounty hunter/carbineer in starwars galaxies preCU/CU/NGE then /quit) will tell you to utilize all of your skills.

Knowing when to use that one skill will make or break the fight/cap/win or raid.

Having the option to stand at range and fire support missiles (neural dart/sonic missile) should not be overlooked. Often times in these threads people don't even read what they type I swear.

i think most of players know all ability are suit for some situation,

but in PVP,

i just dont have that many keybind can use,

i still dont agree why MMORPG must use so much keys,

in console game, such as kotor1,2 dont need that much,

and even xbox gamepad is more user friendly and useful,

My GF said: to race using mouse and keyboard speed for a RPG is such stupid.

Edited by oakamp

Missile Blast and Flame Sweep are poor heat-to-damage ratio attacks and really shouldn't even be used. There are far better ways to cause AoE damage and burn down groups than using abilities that generate too much heat.

I would also add that Shoulder Slam, while decent damage, is too situational to be very effective as well.

Edited by TheronFett

Missile Blast and Flame Sweep are poor heat-to-damage ratio attacks and really shouldn't even be used. There are far better ways to cause AoE damage and burn down groups than using abilities that generate too much heat.

I would also add that Shoulder Slam, while decent damage, is too situational to be very effective as well.

only time i use flamesweep is when im standing in a group of 4+ enemies and I just know im gonna die ... just start spamming it ... :D

Flame sweep is actually useful if your with 3 or more enemies. Its high cost is reasonable if your damaging multiple players. And yah, ive killed or decreased 40-50% of my enemies' lives before overheating just by this talent giving my teammates an easy time finishng em off.

Not to boast, but i get the top place in pvp 80 to 90% of the time so i should know what im doing.

Flame sweep is actually useful if your with 3 or more enemies. Its high cost is reasonable if your damaging multiple players. And yah, ive killed or decreased 40-50% of my enemies' lives before overheating just by this talent giving my teammates an easy time finishng em off.

Not to boast, but i get the top place in pvp 80 to 90% of the time so i should know what im doing.

Missle Blast is great if you're 30m away, and FS is great if you're right next to them. Your only other AoE is to either wait on explosive dart or to cast DFA, both of which are not always a option. FS is also good for putting the 4% damage decrease on people, and even doing quick aoe damage sometimes. FT and DFA are obviously better solutions, but not always options.

Anyone that says FT isn't good for pvp is just gimping themselves. I use it plenty, and probably drag in 5k+ damage each use (all the ticks added up) minimum.