Compensation?

Webbex

I realize a new game, especially an MMO is going to be riddled with bugs and thus require copious amounts of downtime in order for problems to be fixed. I am not complaining about that, or about the amount of downtime needed to fix them. I am merely asking are we going to get time credited to our accounts due to large amount of unscheduled downtime we are have to suffer through?

Probably not, but I figured it was worth a try asking.

WoW and SWG both gave out extra time for having to constantly pull down servers to patch them / roll backs etc when they both first came out. I wouldnt think it is out of the realm of possibility for SWTOR to end up crediting some time as well eventually.

I realize a new game, especially an MMO is going to be riddled with bugs and thus require copious amounts of downtime in order for problems to be fixed. I am not complaining about that, or about the amount of downtime needed to fix them. I am merely asking are we going to get time credited to our accounts due to large amount of unscheduled downtime we are have to suffer through?

5. EA Services, Content and Entitlement Availability

Entitlements may only be held in Accounts belonging to legal residents of countries where access to and use of Content and Entitlements is permitted. Entitlements may be purchased or acquired only from EA or an authorized retailer. EA reserves the right to refuse your request(s) to acquire Entitlements, and EA reserves the right to limit or block any request to acquire Entitlements for any reason.

We do not guarantee that any Content or Entitlement will be available at all times, in all countries and/or geographic locations, or at any given time or that we will continue to offer particular Content or Entitlements for any particular length of time. We reserve the right to change and update Content and Entitlements without notice to you. Once you have redeemed your Entitlements, that content is not returnable, exchangeable, or refundable for other Entitlements or for cash, or other goods or services.

I'm sorry, what downtime?

WoW and SWG both gave out extra time for having to constantly pull down servers to patch them / roll backs etc when they both first came out. I wouldnt think it is out of the realm of possibility for SWTOR to end up crediting some time as well eventually.

This isn't WoW and SWG. If that wasn't already readily apparent to you.

As someone pointed out their ToS basically states they could shut the servers down completely and still charge us a monthly fee. But, compensating the player base due to gametime they're got getting is a good way to keep the community happy and will undoubtably inspire loyalty in the product.

Case in point, World of Warcraft. It is the MMO all others aspire to like it or not. Blizzard was extremely proactive in attempting to keep it's WoW playerbase interested and content, especially during the early days of WoW. The first few months of an MMO make or break it.

Also this game has had significant downtime, everytime I start the launcher there is a notice about servers going down for anywhere from 2 to 8 hours. It is not about "I'm sure you'll live without playing the game for a few hours", it's about the fact we are paying for access to a service, when we are unable to access said service we should not be billed. Believe it or not, it is not the players fault their are bugs in the game.

Edited by Webbex

I could be wrong but having played WOW from the day it came out up until SWTOR came out the only times i remember them giving out time for downtime was the two times they had serious hardware failures, not for patchs. And for anyone that didnt play WOW at release it was FAR worse then TOR for going down early on to patch.

As someone pointed out their ToS basically states they could shut the servers down completely and still charge us a monthly fee. But, compensating the player base due to gametime they're got getting is a good way to keep the community happy and will undoubtably inspire loyalty in the product.

Case in point, World of Warcraft. It is the MMO all others aspire to like it or not. Blizzard was extremely proactive in attempting to keep it's WoW playerbase interested and content, especially during the early days of WoW. The first few months of an MMO make or break it.

Also this game has had significant downtime, everytime I start the launcher there is a notice about servers going down for anywhere from 2 to 8 hours. It is not about "I'm sure you'll live without playing the game for a few hours", it's about the fact we are paying for access to a service, when we are unable to access said service we should not be billed. Believe it or not, it is not the players fault their are bugs in the game.

If SWTOR aspired to be like WoW China wouldn't be on IP Ban. Like 8,000,000 of WoW's subscribers are from Asia lol.

And do you happen to only launch the game every tuesday? Lol.

Of course SWTOR aspires to be WoW...in the sense they want to obtain a large customer base and then keep it. Also I didn't realise Feb 9th was a tuesday, silly me.

Everytime I start the launcher there is a downtime message. The servers are literally going down for 2 - 8 hours every few days.

Edited by Webbex

I could be wrong but having played WOW from the day it came out up until SWTOR came out the only times i remember them giving out time for downtime was the two times they had serious hardware failures, not for patchs. And for anyone that didnt play WOW at release it was FAR worse then TOR for going down early on to patch.

in all my time i played wow from launch to last march i only got 8 days free time and 4 of those were given to me for being banned as a bot when i wasnt and they had gone to ban someone called shingarous and my name was shingara so pfft.

People just have the rose tinted glasses on. I never got any free time when they got the bug for chain dc's that lasted 3 months, when they had 6 hour q's onto the servers for weeks on end nor server crash's or even when wow wiped out the entire server with the zul virus.

Edited by Shingara

i would actually like to have ALL of my money back.

in all my time i played wow from launch to last march i only got 8 days free time and 4 of those were given to me for being banned as a bot when i wasnt and they had gone to ban someone called shingarous and my name was shingara so pfft.

People just have the rose tinted glasses on.

Well then wouldn't it be nice for an MMO to honor it's customers by refunding time should the servers need to go down, other than on the scheduled weekly maintenance.

I don't want a refund. I just want the servers to stay up for more than 3 days straight. A midnight shutdown sucks for us west coast U.S. players. I love the game but jeez guys... One weekly update isn't enough after almost 2 months?

Well then wouldn't it be nice for an MMO to honor it's customers by refunding time should the servers need to go down, other than on the scheduled weekly maintenance.

We have 2 choices, dont complain about the bugs and wait for them todo it in maintenance that to date doesnt last the full downtime or let everyone complain about bugs and illum and be happy they are actualy fixing it. im not happy about that its always on a morning in the uk but you can bet your life im happy they fix the game asap whenever something goes wrong.

I prefer a mmo company that is proactive instead of one that isnt. We are what 2 months in now, i expect there tobe stuff like this till the 6 month mark and then they will have a good group of peeps on the ptr hopefully because of copy char to it and will have a better handle on the servers and the only downtime then should be tuesdays.

Edited by Shingara

Dude, just... this.

Also, I think he's well aware of what game this is. lol

Did you bring that picture up for a reason? I understood his point quite well. I understood that he's comparing apples and oranges instead of judging this game on its own merits.

Do you have any other immature and snide pictures you want to share with the rest of us?

You have 2 choices, dont complain about the bugs and wait for them todo it in maintenance that to date doesnt last the full downtime or let everyone complain about bugs and illum and be happy they are actualy fixing it. im not happy about that its always on a morning in the uk but you can bet your life im happy they fix the game asap whenever something goes wrong.

I prefer a mmo company that is proactive instead of one that isnt.

I didn't create the bugs did I, that was programmer error. As I stated I'm not complaining about the bugs, or the downtime...I'm complaining that I am paying for it. 3rd choice, don't put up with companies selling faulty products and then expecting me to be patient while I'm forking over my money.

Did you bring that picture up for a reason? I understood his point quite well. I understood that he's comparing apples and oranges instead of judging this game on its own merits.

Do you have any other immature and snide pictures you want to share with the rest of us?

We're not talking about "the game" we're talking about compensation for downtime and he was merely giving examples of other companies that have done this. Just like in court, lawyers give examples of other cases.