The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Better settings for an Imac ?

canadienclub

Hey

I have parallels desktop running with swtor on an Imac with the following stats.

2.66 GHz i5 core

8 GB 1067 MHz DD3 ram

ATI HD 4850 512 MB video card

I have all setting down to minimum and I have given windows 7 the right to use all 4 cores and 4 gigs of memory ... yet its almost impossible to run at times :/

I cant navigate thru openings like doors even if the hole is bigger then a barn, becuase of the lag ... i average 75 fps.

Is there anyway i can improve the imac or windows 7 / lions OSX or even the game that would make it run more smoothly ?

Anything that helps would be grately apreciated

rgds

If anything you should boot camp your Mac.

Plus your specs are minimal. The game is a pc

Game not a Mac game. Don't get me wrong I

Love my apple iMac, but it needs a modern pc

To run it right. I have a 2011 22inch with a ati

6750, i5 cPu and 8gigs of ram I would love to play

On instead but untel they come out with a native

Verison of the game on osx you should play on a pc

Yeah its definitely the video card in that mac. The 48... series is like 4-5 years old if not more.

All the newer PC based laptops are now rocking Nvidia 560's and 580's which are light years ahead of the ati 48series.

Guess those macs are not all what they are cut out to be. Im betting you paid like $1600+ for that thing too. while my buddy just got an Asus windows laptop for $1200 which runs SWTOR on max settings.

Your 1st performance bottleneck is your running Windows 7 virtualized in Parallels. You need to run Win 7 in a native hardware environment on your Mac, also know as Boot Camp. That should give you much better performance in Windows, for games provided you meet the system requirements, and not just the bare minimum. Edited by jwkub

Are you running under Bootcamp or or some kind of Windows emulation product (Parallels)?

During early access, I was playing on an old iMac (circa 2006) that I upgraded the memory on, the processor I think was just about around minimum, and a 128 meg video card.

Yep, I ran on the lowest settings and I think in 1280x1024 resolution.

But the game was playable and I didn't have intense graphical lag issues, but I did play under Bootcamp. No way would I try to run it natively in OSX under something like Parallels.

Hey

I have parallels desktop running with swtor on an Imac with the following stats.

2.66 GHz i5 core

8 GB 1067 MHz DD3 ram

ATI HD 4850 512 MB video card

I have all setting down to minimum and I have given windows 7 the right to use all 4 cores and 4 gigs of memory ... yet its almost impossible to run at times :/

I cant navigate thru openings like doors even if the hole is bigger then a barn, becuase of the lag ... i average 75 fps.

Is there anyway i can improve the imac or windows 7 / lions OSX or even the game that would make it run more smoothly ?

Anything that helps would be grately apreciated

rgds

I think parallels is alot of your problem as well. I run TOR thru a bootcamped Win 7. It's really easy to set up, had win 7 up and running in 45 mins.

My system is a bit higher end i think, but i am running TOR at max settings including shadows an average of about 50 fps. (40 fps in the slower areas, 60 in the faster)

27-inch:

3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

4GB (two 2GB) memory

1TB hard drive1

AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB

I think parallels is alot of your problem as well. I run TOR thru a bootcamped Win 7. It's really easy to set up, had win 7 up and running in 45 mins.

My system is a bit higher end i think, but i am running TOR at max settings including shadows an average of about 50 fps. (40 fps in the slower areas, 60 in the faster)

27-inch:

3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

4GB (two 2GB) memory

1TB hard drive1

AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB

Im just curious, but how much did this cost you? Because I have the same setup in windows that I built myself about a year ago, only I OC the i5 to 4.2ghz and only have a 5850ATI and this PC cost me $750 (without monitor of course)

Edited by sheisty

Thank you for fast replies !

I will try bootcamp then, the only issue I have atm is that the dvd player isnt working and I cant burn an ISO even ... tried running the bootcamp setup thru a USB stick but it still keeps asking for the dvd .. which ofc wont register. ( Another well known mac problem )

As for the price, I live in Norway and we are amongst the most expensive countries in the world if not the most expensive.... so if memory serves I payed about 3k in dollars, this is in december 2009 though.

I know the iMac I have is a bit outdated, a new i7 with a 2meg graphic card would do the trick

But then again for that kind of money, I now think I might return to the realm of Pcs.

WOW has been the only game I played since 2005 and tbh I never had any problems running that at all with any setup, be it pc or older macs.

All said and done I realize PC is the better choice for games, but I like the enviroment around the mac better ... so I live with the lag for a while longer and hope BioWare will release a Mac version later this year :p

I will keep looking into bootcamp, there must be a way to run both the bootcamp install and the Windows 7 install from a USB stick, I just havent found the right way yet.

thanks again for so many and fast replies ... GLHF

rgds