Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Pvp tanking?

Yeti-foot

I think it's a beautiful build, with a fair mix of survivability, damage, and support utility that is now one of the best designed specs in the game. Powerful, but not overpowered (though probably one of the strongest dueling specs in the game).

I'm currently running the PvE standard spec (though I do not use Kinetic Ward in PvP, I just spec for it for when I PvE.) You can find more details about my opinions in the class sticky.

Edited by AstralFire

I think it's a beautiful build, with a fair mix of survivability, damage, and support utility that is now one of the best designed specs in the game. Powerful, but not overpowered (though probably one of the strongest dueling specs in the game).

I'd love to hear about duelling with this spec in more detail, because as it is I'm only running around 50%, and have lost some duels that I have no excuse for (the time the enemy was near half health and 3 levels below me springs to mind). I had attributed it to the low DPS and L2P issues, although a guild mate suggested they might have a few pieces of epic gear.

The ultimate focus of my Shadow is to be a pvp tank. Because that's all I do, I have not tried any other spec in any flashpoint at all. My goal in pvp is to soak up damage meant for my allies and turn aside threats to my squishier dps and healers, to control the flow of the battle with various crowd control abilities, and to initiate fights on my terms by use of Force Pull, etc.

I focus on Endurance & Willpower in the Survivor's Gear 4 piece, with Critical or Power mods replacing the defense mods from whatever I can get and in as many of the slots as possible (conversion from defense/absorption ongoing.) I do not use a Shield Generator, because I feel the benefits of current defensive stats & related mechanics are almost entirely worthless in pvp.

I use the following spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rcrRzMskrsZZf0cM.1

I give recognition to AstralFire, who has spent many, many hours and probably a million credits testing various incarnations of the Shadow PvP tank. He recently commented on a similar spec in a thread a few days before 1.1.2, and I believe he was having a lot of success before the patch. My testing has proven that this is viable, and I am satisfied with the balance I have struck between dps output and tank-style mitigation. I can only presume AstralFire's results have been even better than my own.

PvP tanking is a blast on the shadow. Project allows you to still get kills. And the ability to keep your allies up is huge. Last night in a voidstar I had more protection than 2 of our 3 healers had heals. (they must have been fail...) I also was 2nd in total kills even though my damage was middle of the pack.

Anyway its pretty fun... Yeah!

PvP tanking is a blast on the shadow. Project allows you to still get kills. And the ability to keep your allies up is huge. Last night in a voidstar I had more protection than 2 of our 3 healers had heals. (they must have been fail...) I also was 2nd in total kills even though my damage was middle of the pack.

Anyway its pretty fun... Yeah!

Popping Force potency + crit or power relic prior to a project > slow time combo into a TK is fun. It's also super annoying to the target because they are slowed.

Popping Force potency + crit or power relic prior to a project > slow time combo into a TK is fun. It's also super annoying to the target because they are slowed.

I guess that works if you have the bonus with the 3 charges otherwise, I don't think that the added burst of slow time is worth the sacrifice of a buffed TK. You are not a bursting spec anyway.

But yeah, I agree with anything else that was said. Great duelist, great mix of survivability, utility and sustain damage. It's like a more offensive variant of the vanguard which can stealth (they do have better AoEs though).

I guess that works if you have the bonus with the 3 charges otherwise, I don't think that the added burst of slow time is worth the sacrifice of a buffed TK. You are not a bursting spec anyway.

But yeah, I agree with anything else that was said. Great duelist, great mix of survivability, utility and sustain damage. It's like a more offensive variant of the vanguard which can stealth (they do have better AoEs though).

Project is backloaded, Slow Time is frontloaded and TK's first tick is frontloaded so you can go from burst to sustained with a snare really fast. Also, you dont have to be within melee to do it. but in terms of max/min it isnt the highest dps but you can get ahead and start healing yourself quickly at a lil range. I got around 18.5K HPs and the heal tick is nice.

Edited by Elooie

You all forgot one of the fun parts of being a Shadow Tank in PvP

FORCE PULL

Hut Ball Force Pull up for insta death. Pull into chem/fire stun and then let it kill them.

Stealth up Pull them off the entrance point near mid in Alderan and stun and kill.

Force Pull the almost dead guy running off for the heal or to hide and spinning strike him dead. This one reminds me of Scorpion from Mortal Combat game just missing the "Get over here sound fx.

Force Pull that Sorc or Healer trying to hid in the back into the middle of your team and kill.

Edited by Rejectoo

FORCE PULL

Hut Ball Force Pull up for insta death. Pull into chem/fire stun and then let it kill them.

Stealth up Pull them off the entrance point near mid in Alderan and stun and kill.

Force Pull the almost dead guy running off for the heal or to hide and spinning strike him dead. This one reminds me of Scorpion from Mortal Combat game just missing the "Get over here sound fx.

Force Pull that Sorc or Healer trying to hid in the back into the middle of your team and kill.

It is not that we forget it. It is more - it goes without saying that Force Pull is a major stable of Kinetic Spec Shadow, common knowledge, it did not need mentioning.

FORCE PULL

I heard they fixed that or that a change was up on the test server.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.