How on earth do you kill a geared assassin/shadow?

mBass

Periodically assa will use combat stealth removing your dots and making him immune for tech attacks
Funny post (and pretty accurate when undergeard against ) :)

Force Cloak does not remove dots and make you immune to tech attacks. Force Shroud do. (but he can use both and force shroud is on a 45 sec cd which is shorter than force cloak).

Force Shroud last 5 sec if talented. Not 6.

Force Cloak does not always bring you out of combat...

Trauma debuff is still active, reducing all healing by 30%.

Shockwater force you out of stealth.

and if the pop their cooldowns, what's stopping you from blowing them backwards and as marksmanship hitting them with diversion and/or hitting them with a leg shot after the root from your kb has worn off?

Duhh. Their cooldowns stop it. Deflection works against Leg Shot, Force Shroud works against Diversion. You can knock them back but that's really not going to save you, especially if they have their Force Speed talented to remove the immobilize.

Assassins, especially tank Assassins, are pretty much the perfect counter to Snipers if they know how to use their skills. Luckily Assassins are a bit like Death Knights in WoW - great class for a good player but for some reason all the derp kids rolled it and you rarely meet a competent one.

I will teach you how to kill tank or mixed tank/madness assasin.

This encounter has a row of phases.

Phase 1

You need someone tank assa. Then you shoot, shoot, shoot him for like 2 min, cause his mitigation from armor is 45 % (inc like 17 % mitigation vs internal dmg) , 27 % ranged dodge (while basic ranged dodge for inquisitor/consular classes is 10 %) + 30 % shield block without active abilities. With active abilities It is like 60 % ranged dodge (cull being ranged ability T_T) and 40 % shiled chance.

Periodically assa will use combat stealth removing your dots and making him immune for tech attacks (tech attacks: dart, both grenades, explosive probe etc) for 3 sec (6 sec if talented) and instantly use shockfrozen water item to heal himself for 8 k hp.

In the end of phase 1 he will notice you and aggro.

Phase 2

When you get aggro you should immidiately run away out of range of force pull and let your tank regain assasin aggro.

Now it is simple tank and spank, without deflection, ability to raise block chance and combat stealth assa is worth like 30 sec to shooting at him.

In the end of phase 2 he will try to force speed away grabbing hp buff or get heals from teammate adds.

You should have your leg shot ready to not let him reset the encounter with force speed.

Tank sin is hard but doable.

This is good, and better than my approach to this thread.

Great job!

Seeing as how your approach was moronic and incorrect, I'd be inclined to agree. Anyway, thanks for the replies, guys. I was hoping someone might have some 1 vs. 1 pointers against assassins.. but the consensus seems to be that we should just avoid them. Fair enough.

You can't really kill GOOD, geared assassins, unless you get really lucky and Assassin forgets about his force cloak.

I usually try to kite their face until they get bored or draw unhealthy attention. If I totally HAVE to get into 1v1 against them, then go entrench and Ballistic Shields right away and spam CC. Try to stun them first and hope they break it, then you can counter their Defense cd with Flashbang. Save Evasion for when you reach 30% on your health, it will block Assassinate. Also, don't forget Diversion, it is really nice here.

Put some DoT on them, just to milk out that Force Shroud thing.

In short, do everything right and maybe you will win.

Not talking about derpsins, however... There is quite a lot of those and you can basically Snipe them to death.

Really the best solution is to not let the 1v1 classes (Marauder, Operatives, Assassins) 1v1 you in the first place. Make it super annoying to fight you with Evasion, Cover Pulse, Debilitate, Leg Shot, Flash Bang, and be sure to Orbital Strike your own face if you have the time. You should not be something they ever want to fight again even if they win by blowing all their cooldowns. Always be amongst friends... honestly the Sniper is the best Ranged DPS to support another Ranged DPS in the game regardless of how well it may or may not stand alone.

Really the best solution is to not let the 1v1 classes (Marauder, Operatives, Assassins) 1v1 you in the first place. Make it super annoying to fight you with Evasion, Cover Pulse, Debilitate, Leg Shot, Flash Bang, and be sure to Orbital Strike your own face if you have the time. You should not be something they ever want to fight again even if they win by blowing all their cooldowns. Always be amongst friends... honestly the Sniper is the best Ranged DPS to support another Ranged DPS in the game regardless of how well it may or may not stand alone.

^This

Minus Operatives. Operatives are all pretty much lol worthy and always have been once biochem stacking was taken out. The complete lack of ability to get back into combat once I CC them or walk slowly in a direction that is away from them make them the worst class in the game by far and easiest to kill...

I honestly never had trouble against an Operative beyond the Biochem stacking either. Theoretically though their Evasion hard counters Lethality and Marksman Snipers pretty harshly. It's just kiting can generally destroy them... and beyond their Stealth burst it's pretty low sustained damage. Oddly enough an Operative can do pretty decent ranged damage too. Really I'd have to play an Operative to come to the conclusion on this matter... since I have no trouble with Operatives in game yet they have some great tools to work against us.

GOOD Operatives are 50/50, Marauders are meat, I almost consider Snipers to be a hard counter to Marauders, despite saber ward and their numerous other CDs, just because the cheap knockback, root and wait while his cd ticks tactic is almost making them useless.