[Proof] How much a shield absorbs [Screenshot]

Acyu

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did you bother testing what is already common knowledge?

At level 50, static barrier is worth ((3.27*Heal Bonus)+(0.164*7085))*1.2, multiply by expertise. This is for a spec with all healing and static barrier talents.

Instant cast, preventative healing is ludicrously more powerful than cast time healing after the fact. I am a sorc healer and I know for a fact that static barrier is by far our most important heal, especially in a pvp environment. If nothing else, it is our second strongest HPS spell behind revivication, and that is only if the person stands in it and takes every tick. It is also our most efficient heal, by a long way.

Edited by Delekii

Question: Would the fire in Huttball incur the 10%+ expertise damage reduction, since it is not another player?

That is, would the shield absorb more damage from another player hitting you instead of from the fire?

It doesn't work like that, damage is damage. The game works out how much damage you take at the end of the equation, then subtracts that from the shield.

It doesn't work like that, damage is damage. The game works out how much damage you take at the end of the equation, then subtracts that from the shield.

Well, I wonder, is the amount it absorbs predicated then on how much expertise the caster has, or the amount the target has?

Sorc with 10% expertise casts bubble on person with 0 expertise. Does it absorb the same amount? Does it pop faster?

i have around 550 exp with all champ gear and a matrix cube. Even with another relic instead, would push 600, not sure where you are getting 630. Some of those numbers might be off.

Numbers are straight from the game.

I've checked and rechecked on the vendors for pieces I didn't have.

Don't get me wrong btw, OP. I'm not calling for a nerf. but it's still an abilityI would trade half my abilities on both shadow and guardian for.

You're trying to make it sound like "it's not all that"

they have a bubble because its survivability for having light armor

all you bandwagon whiners keep saying things like oh id like to get a 3k insta heal or 7 because you got to pop it twice ( that only usually happens at spawn btw)

well i would like to have juggernauts armor

ive seen my damage against a geared Sorc and (i dunno how well geared) juggernaut but regardless that only helps my case if he was under geared.

and i was doing 600 per tick on the geared sorc and 300 on the jugg and when it was crit it was 900 vs 600

heck id take mitigation that is always on over a situational bubble. that what on a low end geared jugg say 16k hps and you get uhhhh at very least 8k more health all the time and not just at best conditions.

seriously get off the bubble topic and move on find another reason to QQ

if you cant kill a sorc or sage in one on one you dont have gear or you suck. if its in a group setting than more likely that person is getting heals and or guarded to stay alive. learn to use your interrupts and the big thing ive seen is ranged people dont close in on a caster get in their face and you can use more skills to disrupt them and prevent their escape.

Question: Would the fire in Huttball incur the 10%+ expertise damage reduction, since it is not another player?

That is, would the shield absorb more damage from another player hitting you instead of from the fire?

someone should test it. I'm busy or else I would.

But none of that changes how much the shield absorbs. And the test shouldn't have to take into account mitigation, because people are exaggerating as to how much their attacks are getting absorbs and not how much their attacks are attacking.

The shield doesn't absorb "more damage" just because the source of the incoming damage is affected or unaffected by expertise. It's about who is casting, not who is attacking.

Well, I wonder, is the amount it absorbs predicated then on how much expertise the caster has, or the amount the target has?

Sorc with 10% expertise casts bubble on person with 0 expertise. Does it absorb the same amount? Does it pop faster?

It is increased by the 10% healing bonus from expertise. The damage incoming on the target isn't reduced though.

Healer casts bubble for 100hp with 10% expertise, target receives 110hp shield.

Target gets hit by other player without any expertise involved for 100 damage. 100hp is removed from shield.

Edited by Delekii

Numbers are straight from the game.

I've checked and rechecked on the vendors for pieces I didn't have.

Don't get me wrong btw, OP. I'm not calling for a nerf. but it's still an abilityI would trade half my abilities on both shadow and guardian for.

You're trying to make it sound like "it's not all that"

You should probably read my second post, saying how bubble is the best ability a pvp healer has, then describing how it is best on my next post.

someone should test it. I'm busy or else I would.

But none of that changes how much the shield absorbs. And the test shouldn't have to take into account mitigation, because people are exaggerating as to how much their attacks are getting absorbs and not how much their attacks are attacking.

The shield doesn't absorb "more damage" just because the source of the incoming damage is affected or unaffected by expertise. It's about who is casting, not who is attacking.

Well it would matter, if the bubble absorbs ~3200, and my attack does 3500 damage normally, but the target has 10% expertise, the attack would only do ~3150, and not pop the bubble on the first hit.

You should probably read my second post, saying how bubble is the best ability a pvp healer has, then describing how it is best on my next post.

I probably should, I'll give you that much.

Then again, you can't really blame me cause most replies on the official forums are troll attempts. I tend to just reply to the OP if it's a haf sensible one.

Well it would matter, if the bubble absorbs ~3200, and my attack does 3500 damage normally, but the target has 10% expertise, the attack would only do ~3150, and not pop the bubble on the first hit.

The test is to test how much the shield absorbs, not whether your attack would pop it.

The shield absorbs ~3200 for me, and I believe it absorbs ~3200 no matter who I cast it on.

Whether your damage is affected or unaffected by expertise does not change the fact that it absorbs ~3200.

The expertise reduction in damage benefits EVERYONE equally, not just sorcerer in shields.

If a merc/op healer has 200 HP left and they heal for 3200. If your attack does 3500 normally, but the target has 10% expertise, the attack would only do ~3150, and not kill the healer on the first hit. It's the same thing. It doesn't change how much that healer is healing regardless of how much you're attacking.

I'm not sure if that is what you're asking...

The test is to test how much the shield absorbs, not whether your attack would pop it.

The shield absorbs ~3200 for me, and I believe it absorbs ~3200 no matter who I cast it on.

Whether your damage is affected or unaffected by expertise does not change the fact that it absorbs ~3200.

The expertise reduction in damage benefits EVERYONE equally, not just sorcerer in shields.

If a merc/op healer has 200 HP left and they heal for 3200. If your attack does 3500 normally, but the target has 10% expertise, the attack would only do ~3150, and not kill the healer on the first hit. It's the same thing. It doesn't change how much that healer is healing regardless of how much you're attacking.

I'm not sure if that is what you're asking...

I'm just saying *some* Sorcs in the past have defended the bubble as being "unmitigated" damage, when it's clear that is not the case.

Edited by EternalFinality

The problem is not the bubble itself, but how much it can absorb while a Sorc/Sage is a hybrid spec. Sure a full healing spec should have an absord of 3200-4000, no problem. But a spec that lets you do very good damage, should be around 1500 absorb. With the monster toolkit they have its pretty unreasonable as a hybrid spec to have such a powerfull shield ontop of hefty damage and sound healing, not to mention the plethora of other utilities the hybrid spec provides.

Or just put a 1.5 Min CD on it, and have a talent to reduce the CD deep into the healing tree.

I have similar gear and I came to the same conclusion - about 3300 was my best guess.

Although I wasn't very scientific about the testing, I went to Ilum with a guild mate and had a duel where we counted the number of his most basic attacks against me until the bubble went down and repeated this process about a dozen times. Once we knew how many attacks we repeated another 12 times without the bubble, subtracted my starting HP from my end HP each time and averaged out the result. 3300.

FWIW I also don't think that the bubble taking damage from players counts as healing, but if you bubble other players and they run through acid/fire in huttball then it DOES count. I must throw my bubble as a healing sorc on everyone 5 times a Huttball. Even assuming thas only 100 bubbles that take player damage before expiring I certainly don't get 320,000 healing.

Not the first bubble in an MMO, won't be the last. I'd certainly trade for a better defensive skill, better armor, better mitigation in total. I would bet the people I bubble would miss it more - especially in PvE.

Be careful what you ask for, Ops are SQUISHIER than sorcs you know.

I'm sure most ops would gladly swap medium armor for a 3k bubble.

But you hot like a truck to and we dont. Your art and life with are cc would be op.

Ops is the one class I hate to 1v1 played right I stand no chance.

Look, I play a shadow and a sorc, I'd respec my sorc ac to assassin now if I could.

dont get me wrong its a great healing tool best probably of all

but im tired of people complaining they are op as a class and are impossible to kill or whatever

i agree they are the best healers in the game because they can bubble everyone. and get heal totals like that.

but someone had to be the best healer and when you first turned on the game who did you think was going to be the best healer . the cloth or the intermediate or the armored.

we shouldnt be discussing if sage/sorc are the best healer im sure somewhere it will say it was intended that way. the discussion should be is the sage/sorc op in survivability and alone without guard or outside heal i think they are right where they should be.

The problem is not the bubble itself, but how much it can absorb while a Sorc/Sage is a hybrid spec. Sure a full healing spec should have an absord of 3200-4000, no problem. But a spec that lets you do very good damage, should be around 1500 absorb. With the monster toolkit they have its pretty unreasonable as a hybrid spec to have such a powerfull shield ontop of hefty damage and sound healing, not to mention the plethora of other utilities the hybrid spec provides.

Or just put a 1.5 Min CD on it, and have a talent to reduce the CD deep into the healing tree.

Common sense and reason will get you nowhere here friend.

dont get me wrong its a great healing tool best probably of all

but im tired of people complaining they are op as a class and are impossible to kill or whatever

i agree they are the best healers in the game because they can bubble everyone. and get heal totals like that.

but someone had to be the best healer and when you first turned on the game who did you think was going to be the best healer . the cloth or the intermediate or the armored.

we shouldnt be discussing if sage/sorc are the best healer im sure somewhere it will say it was intended that way. the discussion should be is the sage/sorc op in survivability and alone without guard or outside heal i think they are right where they should be.

Well, you'd think the best healer would have the least survivability, and the worst healer the most.

It's not like that at ALL.

well tell that to juggs and guardians than .. they are hybrid or all damage and they have heavy armor to mitigate a lot of damage more than a bubble can. (altho that type of mitigation is probably on hybrids more than total damage spec)

This is quiete interesting but I remember quiete good that I did attack sorc/sage with their shield up with my lvl 36-40 oparative and both the opener and the backstab didnt go through the shield against opponents around the same level, except both did crit which was around 2500+1800 around and from these numbers just a small amount. I remember well that I did propagate that they did probably miss to have their shields up if they died fast at this lvl range.

Well this was weeks ago and before 1.1 and who knows what did change with these patches, so I wonder how much shield "healing" are doing lvl 35-40 sorc/sage currently.

Something is odd here, changed or the BG´s boost is working differently for lower lvls.

Edited by BobaFurz

well tell that to juggs and guardians than .. they are hybrid or all damage and they have heavy armor to mitigate a lot of damage more than a bubble can. (altho that type of mitigation is probably on hybrids more than total damage spec)

The damage mitigated by heavy armor doesnt even come CLOSE to the damage mitigated by sorc shield. You'd have to be taking ~30000 damage of types actually mitigated by armor at all to equal the mitigation of a shield every 20 seconds.

That's nothing. You just need the perfect conditions on Voidstar.

If and when you show me healers doing 1 million on Huttball, then I will be impressed.

If that **** ever happens in huttball, I reroll my sin b/c I'm definitely playing the wrong class!:D