The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New Ability Bar Cooldown effect

Sammojo

i created this thread but trolls are just spoiling it now...hopefully the Devs see it:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=281976

If you don't want trolls in your thread, do not say things like this to the first person to respond:

I know how to play the game much better than you Im sure. What you are stating is not the point. I know what all my skills cost. There are many classes that DO NOT use a set rotation, and use skills based off procs, CDs, etc. Because of this, there are many situations in combat where you need to quickly glance at a skill button to know if its ready to be queued or not. As stated above, this is now impossible with the current CD system.

Im sorry, but IMO if anyone sees this as NOT a problem, then that person is probably a button masher, a guesser and most likely just a bad...

That first sentence was calling the trolls to you.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really honestly do not care about the "oh I love this change, it is great" people. I''m happy you feel your eyesight is super awesome and I'm so pleased you are "fine with it."

The facts are there are a lot of people who can't tell when their abilities are ready and for me that is a rather large and important issue. I don't personally mind the flashing, but I do mind that over half of my abilities are just 'grey' on 'grey.'

Is the game playable for me? Yes, but not without spamming some of my abilities because I can't tell when they are ready!

So yes, for all of you who are having a fabulous party of "yay i love it and don't listen to the whiners" party well GOOD FOR YOU! For the rest of us who are you know pointing out the rather glaring issue here all I can say is I hope someone listens and things improve soon! :p

Edited by JacquieC

The devs need to know WHEN people look at their skill bars. The only time I look my skill bar is after I use a skill, in other words only when the GCD is in affect. The new graphic, means I am always looking at a washed out dark bar. It's like you have the same relationship with the GCD as Tim Burton has with Johnny Depp, put Johnny in all the movies! Turn blue ALL THE SKILLS! Edited by Figmentus

The new ability cool down display is fine in that it really lets you know if an action is available or not, BUT, for those of us with less than max performing systems/video cards, the action ability has been delayed even more than it ever has been!! :mad:

If you don't want trolls in your thread, do not say things like this to the first person to respond:

That first sentence was calling the trolls to you.

yeah maybe...but when the first reply is i should know how to play my class that is trolling right there. I know my class inside and out. And I detailed the problem exactly as it is in an easy to read post which was instantly trolled by the first response. So meh, w/e..

I really honestly do not care about the "oh I love this change, it is great" people. I''m happy you feel your eyesight is super awesome and I'm so pleased you are "fine with it."

The facts are there are a lot of people who can't tell when their abilities are ready and for me that is a rather large and important issue. I don't personally mind the flashing, but I do mind that over half of my abilities are just 'grey' on 'grey.'

Is the game playable for me? Yes, but not without spamming some of my abilities because I can't tell when they are ready!

So yes, for all of you who are having a fabulous party of "yay i love it and don't listen to the whiners" party well GOOD FOR YOU! For the rest of us who are you know pointing out the rather glaring issue here all I can say is I hope someone listens and things improve soon! :p

Yup, this is not just a cosmetic issue of "ooh i love the new flashing effect, it makes me feel happy" or "loll i hate looking at the flashes it looks like a freaking slot machine" .. We are pointing out a VERY serious flaw here - it is not possible to tell which abilities are ready during global cool down. This is just such a huge flaw, that i cannot believe it. It is not a cosmetic issue, and I'm not whining, I'm making you guys at bioware aware of the fact that you have really messed with the mechanics of the game now, and screwed it up.

the point is GCD and CD are being treated as one.

No one is complaining about being able to tell if an ability is cooling down or not. That is obvious.

The REAL issue is not being able to determine if an ability can be queued during the GCD because they are ALL blackened. If i have the resources and im within range, and its NOT on CD...it is still black during the GCD. Negates the ability queue entirely.

Correctamundo! (as the Fonz would say)

Edited by JBChimera

*lesigh* Bioware, you're thinking to hard here. Sometimes the most simple solution is the best one. How about you just put a timer on the abilities? Ya know, in the little ability icon box, a countdown? Nice big bold white numbers maybe? 43sec...42secs....see what I'm doing here? That would lets us know precisely when our abilities are ready.

The new ability cool down display is fine in that it really lets you know if an action is available or not, BUT, for those of us with less than max performing systems/video cards, the action ability has been delayed even more than it ever has been!! :mad:

How do you know what actions will be available for your next cast DURING your GCD? If you dont have enough force, rage, mana, etc during the GCD how do you know if you can or cant queue it and have it cast by just glancing? Or how do you know if an ability that IS ready to use can be queued and successfully cast?

Oh you dont know...cos ALL the abilities are black DURING GCD. Doesnt matter if you have the resources or not. This is the real problem.

Edited by Ushela

How did you know the CD on Force Armor ended?

Exactly, that's how you knew.

Hence my point. The GCD had to end for you to then know if the CD on Force Armor had also ended. If the GCD animation was still in progress, it would cover up the information that Force Armor was ready to queue .25 seconds before GCD.

You had to wait for GCD animation to finish before queuing Force Armor -- unless you were button mashing it in hopeful anticipation.

Therein lies the problem.

Wow. Ok, I'll try explaining this one more time.

If an ability is on cool down the gcd's animation will NEVER override it's own cool down animation. With the single exception of when that ability's cool down will end before the gcd ends.

That has been my experience with the new UI, if something else is happening on yours I can't explain why, you might want to contact their CS in that case.

So in the case of Force Armor is is ALWAYS easy for me to tell when it's on cd, gcd, invalid, or out of range. This was not true prior to the 2/7 patch, frequently you could not differentiate when it was off cd, or just really close to off cd. Which isn't a huge deal for Force Armor, but for abilities with longer cds it was a very big problem, that is now completely gone.

Don't like the flash? Don't like the tints? Don't like the scroll? Send them feedback on it, ask for different options, but stop demanding rollbacks to a clearly inferior UI.

I feel for you guys, I really do but if backing up from the monitor and playing in a better lit room are solutions then perhaps that's the route that should have been taken all along.

Its always been a good medical practice to not sit very close to your monitor and to play in a well lit room...You're only hurting yourself if you don't...

I never notice the Flashing and honestly, if those are solutions, I feel like its being blown out of proportion.

Grammar fail.

Edited by Mormack

As a new player to mmos i found it really difficult to see what was going on last night. Before i was blasting through enemys at my level but last night i was getting my *** kicked by enemys lower then me. Yes im a button masher that does have a rotation but as it is now i just get mixed up and die really quickly. I will keep trying to get used to it but if i cant then im out. Loved the game but for me at the moment it stops making the game fun.

I feel for you guys, I really do but if backing up from the monitor and playing in a better lit room are solutions then perhaps that's the route that should have been taken all along.

Its always been a good medical practice to not sit very close to your monitor and to play in a well lit room...You're only hurting yourself if you do...

I never notice the Flashing and honestly, if those are solutions, I feel like its being blown out of proportion.

Well, all I can say to that is this, I suppose:

I wasn't having migraines before, regardless of how I played. (Which was mostly in a well lit room on a nice comfy sofa with my laptop reasonably far away.

Now I am having scorching headaches.

I want it back to the way it was.

...Yup. That's about it.

Well, all I can say to that is this, I suppose:

I wasn't having migraines before, regardless of how I played. (Which was mostly in a well lit room on a nice comfy sofa with my laptop reasonably far away.

Now I am having scorching headaches.

I want it back to the way it was.

...Yup. That's about it.

I hated the way it was. I love the way it is. I can clearly see all CDs and know when they are all coming off CD. It took a run or so to figure it out completely but Its really better than the old one.

but besides, they've commented about it and saying they're looking into it.

Here's hoping they don't just roll it back to an inferior system.

Edited by Mormack

Fix the flash, i don't care :) But the GDC blackening of all abilities is simply outrageous... It is destroying a rage-builders rotation, since you cannot prioritize during the GDC, coz you don't get any feedback about which abilities are ready to be used.

Fix the flash, i don't care :) But the GDC blackening of all abilities is simply outrageous... It is destroying a rage-builders rotation, since you cannot prioritize during the GDC, coz you don't get any feedback about which abilities are ready to be used.

yes you can...If they'll be off CD before the end of the GCD, they aren't as dark Gray during the GCD. I'm a Rage user and can very easily set my priority.

I hated the way it was. I love the way it is. I can clearly see all CDs and know when they are all coming off CD. It took a run or so to figure it out completely but Its really better than the old one.

How do you not get this? Of course you can clearly see all of you cd's...ONLY WHEN THE GCD ISN'T TURNING. Now if you play a melee class that uses resource building mechanics, you're left totally screwed because the gcd is ALWAYS TURNING. Seriously, we can't see ****.

EDIT: Forgive me, we have to try really really really hard to see ****.

Edited by Abiza

How do you not get this? Of course you can clearly see all of you cd's...ONLY WHEN THE GCD ISN'T TURNING. Now if you play a melee class that uses resource building mechanics, you're left totally screwed because the gcd is ALWAYS TURNING. Seriously, we can't see ****.

yup ... Enjoy being in the dark, never knowing which abilities are ready unless you actually count your rage blobs, and remember the rage cost of all your 25 abilities, then judge accordingly to which one is the best in the situation - all this before the GDC runs out, which is 1 second ..

Great. I'm glad you like it. All I want is the option to revert back to stop the headaches. That is all I ask for.

yes you can...If they'll be off CD before the end of the GCD, they aren't as dark Gray during the GCD. I'm a Rage user and can very easily set my priority.

As a player with (some) vision problems, to me they all (now) grey out before lighting back up, after the CD over flash. (The flash also doesn't help my eyes & although I'm not getting headaches, like others, I can feel the strain on my eyes).

I really don't know how we can get the developers attention on this one - this GDC issue is so serious it needs immediate fixing. They can fix the flashing and stuff later, but this GDC blackening is unacceptable, and i have yet to see an answer from bioware.

Of course they shouldn't roll back, this is just fine for many people, an option to choose between the old style and new one can be made but no way in hell should they just roll back and disregard those who actually like this.