Ilum: Bad to Worse to Broken

JonnyFreedom

So now after this patch.. if you kill someone of the opposing faction you now get ZERO valor and ZERO credit for the Daily / Weekly. If this was intended... *** were you thinking? If this wasn't intended.. How is all of this getting passed your Q/A department? Do you even have a Q/A department? This is a pretty glaring and obvious bug if it was not intended.

It is becoming fairly apparent that your design team doesn't know how to design an MMo or virtually any other type of game.

how do you guys think Illium can be made better?

right now its just a huge bottleneck, right?

I propose that at every major base, there are controlable turrets that are (almost) 1HKO.

Make their range extend to juuuuust at the entrance of bottlenecks.

this will allow players to leave a base from any direction, as long as teammates are covering them. hop on your speeder and get outta there.

So now after this patch.. if you kill someone of the opposing faction you now get ZERO valor and ZERO credit for the Daily / Weekly. If this was intended... *** were you thinking? If this wasn't intended.. How is all of this getting passed your Q/A department? Do you even have a Q/A department? This is a pretty glaring and obvious bug if it was not intended.

It is becoming fairly apparent that your design team doesn't know how to design an MMo or virtually any other type of game.

I haven't been home yet but you're saying now the only way to get dailies and weeklies done is from boxes? ***?!?

There was no change unless they introduced some bug.

You did not previously get credit for people who had been killed recently. All they changed (in the notes) was that they added a message on the screen that tells you why you didn't get credit.

I'm guessing the OP just misunderstood, since I find it unlikely that they would've let something like that slip through.

How is all of this getting passed your Q/A department? Do you even have a Q/A department?

They do, it is outsourced to Romania and India. I would imagine once the devs in Texas create a change and then Google translate it for Romania and India, they read the translation and later Google translate their response back into English it is completely a cluster fudge.

Q/A should be under the same roof. The devs who made the changes should literally be standing there watching the Q/A guys play or be a couple of cubicals over from the guy tasked with looking at his changes.

My boss's door is down the hall in case I have a question, am confused about his orders, or need further elaboration. If he was speaking a foreign language 10,000 miles away, accessible only via email and translation software, and asleep when I'm working due to time zone differences who frikken knows if I would understand and do what he has tasked me to do correctly.

Edited by Twolow

If thats true its an improvement. Doing the weekly/daily shouldnt give you valor, if you want valor, work for it and stick arround after you did your daily & weekly. It's frustrating to get an ops going to only have people leave all the time once they complete their daily/weekly.

From DAOC to Warhammer, to SWTOR...

From Good, to Mediocre, to Bad...

Progression or Regression?

Matt Frior moved to Bethesda. Sanya moved to Pitchblack. Heck even Mark Jacobs is gone. I don't like what he did with WAR but at least he probably would've made PvP a focus rather than an afterthought.

The people that made DAoC such a fun PvP game slowly moved on. We expect Bioware/Mythic to make DAoC 2 but none of these guys had anything to do with RvR in DAoC. I'd love a sequel but I gave up hope on that the first time I went to Ilum. Maybe Pitchblack's MMO will have some of the feel that DAoC RvR had but it's such a small company with no advertising that I wonder if they'll have the budget and resources to pull it off. Then again, Mythic was small in 2001 when DAoC came out.

Matt Frior moved to Bethesda. Sanya moved to Pitchblack. Heck even Mark Jacobs is gone. I don't like what he did with WAR but at least he probably would've made PvP a focus rather than an afterthought.

The people that made DAoC such a fun PvP game slowly moved on. We expect Bioware/Mythic to make DAoC 2 but none of these guys had anything to do with RvR in DAoC. I'd love a sequel but I gave up hope on that the first time I went to Ilum. Maybe Pitchblack's MMO will have some of the feel that DAoC RvR had but it's such a small company with no advertising that I wonder if they'll have the budget and resources to pull it off. Then again, Mythic was small in 2001 when DAoC came out.

Spot on reply, but I can't help wondering if this batch of Devs has ever played a proper PvP title before, or been inspired by one.

From the looks of it I'd say absolutely not.

Not to split hairs, but aside from saying GW,GW2, DAOC, what is a proper pvp title to you?

Namaste

Planetside would be another, hell, even Ultima Online and Ragnarok were far more engaging.

PvP with a purpose is the key, other than farming gear of course.

I got about 8k valor on Illum this morning from killing the opposite faction...

Also finished my daily and am about 20% done with my weekly. Not sure what the OP is talking about?

Edited by Srqt

Planetside would be another, hell, even Ultima Online and Ragnarok were far more engaging.

PvP with a purpose is the key, other than farming gear of course.

Does anyone remember making food and poison leaving it on the ground so players could pick it up and die? Good times.

how do you guys think Illium can be made better?

right now its just a huge bottleneck, right?

I propose that at every major base, there are controlable turrets that are (almost) 1HKO.

Make their range extend to juuuuust at the entrance of bottlenecks.

this will allow players to leave a base from any direction, as long as teammates are covering them. hop on your speeder and get outta there.

actually not as hard as people think to fix it, will end up being FORCED to go the winters grasp route with it because is no real other choice with out rebuilding whole zone.

1: every 2-3 hours battle of illum commences

2: only 100 total people(or per side) may be active in illum and you must que up for it

3: you must capture each point along illum and HOLD those points for X seconds, doing so causes bombers to fly in and deplete a health meter for enemy base.

4: Winning illum grants you special illum commendations, valor, and a server wide faction buff.

Would pretty much fix illum in grand scheme of things its VERY cut and dry though and simple it would require alot of redesign...

but personally should just scrap current incarnation revamp WHOLE pvp side of the map add a true RvR area... but i doubt we'll see that happen.