Dungeon Finder Needed Badly

Obi-Wun

I don't think you understand the point of X-LFD

It reduces the queue from certain people not being able to run an instance all to giving them an opportunity to run an instance in a reasonable timeline. I've conceded that people on high population may wait a bit longer on average but lets not spilt hairs

So the minority (low pop servers) benefit while the majority (high pop servers) suffer. How is a tool that hurts the majority effective? How do you account for the people on high pop servers complaining about finding groups?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the minority (low pop servers) benefit while the majority (high pop servers) suffer. How is a tool that hurts the majority effective? How do you account for the people on high pop servers complaining about finding groups?

Most people in this game are on low population server and unless something is done they are going to start leaving in an alarming rate. Show me some data that suggests otherwise or i won't take you seriously.

In WoW I found groups all the time on my packed server. I had a great reputation so I didn't even need my guild to run instances. I just put in a little effort and I still had a list of people, it was something I liked doing. On my low population server I used the X-LFD. Everyone can win.

EDIT: I'm advocating for a intra server option as well. So people on high population servers can have a sustainable experience

Edited by Touchbass

I don't think you understand the point of X-LFD

It reduces the queue from certain people not being able to run an instance all to giving them an opportunity to run an instance in a reasonable timeline. I've conceded that people on high population may wait a bit longer on average but lets not spilt hairs

That in itself is dependent on what class you are.. It is all determined by how many of a certian class their are.. If there are very few tanks.. Tanks will have little to no wait times.. If there is an over abundance of DPS, then an LFD system can actually make wait times longer..

It is hard to say in this game where the ratio is.. In WOW, there was an over abundance of DPS.. LFD did little for them..

I agree that SWTOR has a problem when it comes to groups.. The upside is, group size is much smaller than WOW.. We do have companions that will do in a pinch to fill a spot..

As I said in my last post.. Number of players on a server is the single biggest issue..

Many people don't want to the servers linked due to lack of accountability issues.. I am one such person..

However, if they can link 4 servers or so to where, chat, GTN, and HCTN, are all connected as if it was a single server.. That would be great.. We would have the appearance of a larger server, without the quest issues of all the people..

However, if they can link 4 servers or so to where, chat, GTN, and HCTN, are all connected as if it was a single server.. That would be great.. We would have the appearance of a larger server, without the quest issues of all the people..

I would really like to see that, that would be great for the game.

Most people in this game are on low population server and unless something is done they are going to start leaving in an alarming rate. Show me some data that suggests otherwise or i won't take you seriously.

In WoW I found groups all the time on my packed server. I had a great reputation so I didn't even need my guild to run instances. I just put in a little effort and I still had a list of people, it was something I liked doing. On my low population server I used the X-LFD. Everyone can win.

EDIT: I'm advocating for a intra server option as well. So people on high population servers can have a sustainable experience

You are right about something needing to be done about low pop servers. But they suffer from more than just lack of people for groups. Their economies are horrible for one. Mergers and transfers can solve multiple low pop issues. LFD only solves 1 issue. Mergers and transfers have to be done carefully but can be done effectively. But this a whole-nother issue for a different debate.

Quest issues are not an issue in SWTOR, since the zones are instanced anyway and have a cap. IF a zone reaches a limit of say 50 people a new zone/instance is created.

The game can't be fully functional without a dungeon finder tool.

So for some people arguing that it will take away part of the RP game then they are missing the part where they would be able to make a group from the local server and then enter a flashpoint.

i waste hours (time added up) waiting for people to be willing to run the flashpoint. its stupid and yes this if it goes unfixed will make myself and other leave the game as they are crucial to the game experience and skipping them would just be lame and you will eventually fall behind in leveling i have been told if u just skip them all.

please do something about the biggest flaw of the mmorpg

The game can't be fully functional without a dungeon finder tool.

So for some people arguing that it will take away part of the RP game then they are missing the part where they would be able to make a group from the local server and then enter a flashpoint.

i waste hours (time added up) waiting for people to be willing to run the flashpoint. its stupid and yes this if it goes unfixed will make myself and other leave the game as they are crucial to the game experience and skipping them would just be lame and you will eventually fall behind in leveling i have been told if u just skip them all.

please do something about the biggest flaw of the mmorpg

That is probably true.. But an LFG tool isn't going to help the real issue.. Many servers just don't have enough people..

In the first days of launch, people complained and QQ about queue times that bioware add a bunch of servers.. Had people just been patient and waited it out, we might not be where we are now..

Servers need to be merged, and or connected in some way.. See my posts above.. Population is the issue.. If the population was there.. The current LFG system in the game would work just fine.. :cool:

That isn't /ignore now is it??

How is that not /ignore? What exactly were you expecting from the ignore function?

And it didn't always work which is my point!! I am totally and 100% correct.. It was added in patch 3.3 as per above.. So it wasn't always in the game.. Which means it didn't always work..

AS I said, unless it has been changed.. Which nobody seems to have read.. If it has been changed.. Fine.. But don't make like it has always been that way.. Some of us have played WOW since raids were with 40 peeps.. Yes it is true.. Raids actually used 40 peeps at one point.. :)

Its worked that way since the inception of cross server LFD, which kinda means its always worked that way for not being grouped with people you place on /ignore. Beyond that, not exactly sure what your point is.

How is that not /ignore? What exactly were you expecting from the ignore function?

Its worked that way since the inception of cross server LFD, which kinda means its always worked that way for not being grouped with people you place on /ignore. Beyond that, not exactly sure what your point is.

My point was that people seem to think that the cross server ingore has always been there.. It hasn't.. Some people have played the game long before it was added.. To say that /ignore has always worked cross server is incorrect.. It never has and still doesn't..

/ignore <name>@<server> I believe is the command..

To claim it has always worked is to claim that the game was released on patch 3.3.. I guess we all just kinda skipped BC.. Bummer.. All those months in Kara, SSC, DT, and all the others just didn't happen I guess.. That is good to know.. Does that mean when this game is about 3 or 4 years old it will just be starting too??

I am not expecting anything from an ignore function.. I don't use them except in extreme cases..

People just need to be careful how they word things.. It is correct to say that it has worked since it was added on patch 3.3.. It is incorrect to say it has always worked.. Because there was a time when it didn't..

You are right about something needing to be done about low pop servers. But they suffer from more than just lack of people for groups. Their economies are horrible for one. Mergers and transfers can solve multiple low pop issues. LFD only solves 1 issue. Mergers and transfers have to be done carefully but can be done effectively. But this a whole-nother issue for a different debate.

I would tend to agree that jacking up server populations would help a lot of problems. I don't know if it can reasonable done though.

My point was that people seem to think that the cross server ingore has always been there.. It hasn't.. Some people have played the game long before it was added.. To say that /ignore has always worked cross server is incorrect.. It never has and still doesn't..

Woooooooooooooosh!!!

Seriously doubt anyone thinks cross server /ignore worked prior to any cross server functions. When they say 'always' they almost certainly mean 'since cross server's inception'.

Woooooooooooooosh!!!

Seriously doubt anyone thinks cross server /ignore worked prior to any cross server functions. When they say 'always' they almost certainly mean 'since cross server's inception'.

I don't know.. Someone said it worked in BC.. So you tell me what always means?? I make no assumptions here..

Always means always unless it is specified.. Instead of making a big fuss, people should have clarified what they meant.. Not one did.. So what did always mean?? To them.. Not to you.. What does always mean to them??

Hi there!

We recently had to remove some posts in this thread. We wanted to take a moment and remind everyone of the Forum Rules and Guidelines.

Please remember that community members are allowed to disagree with one another. We understand that sometimes subjects can get heated, but we do ask that everyone is respectful and polite to each other while giving their opinions. Here are some quick examples to keep in mind when posting.

• Never insult another community member.
  • Always discuss the topic and give constructive criticism.
  • If you feel someone is violates the Rules of Conduct, do not reply to them; simply report (flag) the post.
  • If someone is being disruptive, simply do not reply and report (flag) the post.
  • Be respectful to all community members; while you may not agree with their opinion, you should not be rude to them.

Thanks for your understanding, and please enjoy your friendly debate!

Cons of LFD tool.

Abuse from tank and healer classes qho are not specced for tanks or heals, or in PvP gear queueing up as tanks and healers.

It will happen, it will cause many runs to fail or take exrtremely long to complete or result in many drops from the queue and such...which in turn will also skew the data developers get from dungeon runs.

End result is incentives for poor performances, team buffs, many nerfs of good content etc....similar to what was done in WoW and DCUO. Ruining the endgame content and hard modes.

I am level 50 now and I refuse to spam LFG in Fleet, or anywhere else. Needless to say I have done very few flashpoints or heroics.

There is a looking for group tool for PvP... why not PvE?

I generally hate other players, and posting on the forums. I am not here to meet other people, I am here to play a game. If Bioware would let us solo flashpoints with 3 NPCs I would.

I agree, using LFG tools removes the person from behind the character. That is what I want. I don't want to talk to you, I just want to play the game.

Edited by Oggrim

Logically if you don't need the tool now you have a sound method of getting groups that you're happy with.

If that method is endangered with a cross server tool then it is only because people prefer to use it over your method.

So your argument becomes "Have fun my way or the high way, there can be no optional lfg tool"

And if it surprises you that people argue against that. Then I don't know what to tell you.

Keeping in mind that my belief and indeed experience of community in mmo's is found and developed within guilds if at all.

I am level 50 now and I refuse to spam LFG in Fleet, or anywhere else. Needless to say I have done very few flashpoints or heroics.

I generally hate other players, and posting on the forums. I am not here to meet other people, I am here to play a game. If Bioware would let us solo flashpoints with 3 NPCs I would.

I agree, using LFG tools removes the person from behind the character. That is what I want. I don't want to talk to you, I just want to play the game.

But this is also one reason why so many dont want the tool. I am not saying you are a bad person or anything, but those who are like you destroy the game for others by their attitude of "singleplayer".

There are people out there who play MMO`s, because of the MM and they wanne talk or interact with real people and not silent ninja´s.

If BW would add a tool now like Blizz did, many people would be "mad" as their game would be destroyed by that. There must be a way to please both sides - you could go with companions, Id also support that and the others can go the traditional way.

This would be a good first step, later BW could tweak the current LFG tool and let it help a bit more, like teleport´s, better view about players etc.

Edited by RachelAnne

It does not work at wow, unfortunately.

Most rude people are those who play 10 hours+ a day. They have 10 chars or more, since only the char is on ignore and not the account you will meet that exact guy again.

To be able to ignore all rude players in wow, you would need a ignore list with 100.000 or more spots - unfortunately 100 is the limit at wow and everyone else added will lead the the deletion of another (wow status Dec. 2011).

Ignore is not a solution, what would help is a better way of looking for people. Most rude people are elitist´s that ninja, rush or are just very young. If people could tick a box called Casual & slow, they would be able to avoid these people - as they wont tick that. For Casuals and older people this would lead to a better gaming experience as they then can go afk for a min or 2 to answer a phone call, and they would not get insulted if they make something wrong then.

Hey everybody!

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile but I've just been busy with my classes this semester. I was able to find this though.

http://web.archive.org/web/20091107221055/http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningcrusade/townhall/lookingforgroup.html

It is an overview of the system that I talked about earlier that WoW had during BC. Since many people don't remember it I thought it would be a good idea to show to find a way to show people.

For those that didn't read my first postings, I am not saying we should copy paste this system over, but the basic idea seems to be what people want in a LFG tool for this game.

I'll try to post more often.

BigGun

That's a valid stance. Alas, some people want to impose a strong community feeling for everything, even for just checking your character's sheet, or to tie your shoes. Their way is the best and will make you happy without your consent...