Dear BioWare, I am... bored.

Razyr

My problem is that you seem to not think that you can come back when/if they do add some of the things you want, and from the video they posted it looks like you might get quite a bit.

Complaining about the lack of content in an MMO that just released is short-sighted. My suggestion would be to cancel and wait a few months for content, that what I did with WoW for 6 years.

Oh, been in enough MMOs so that I know I can come back, but thanks for the tip just in case I didn't.

Have just been trying to point out that as a casual player I have been running out of things to do, that didn't happen in many of the older games I played, might be an issue here.

Not complaining, whining, raging or whatever labels people want to throw about, just noting - found this a little disappointing.

Edited by TonyACT

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing. 4 years in EQ and not at level cap (lots of other things to do), 30 days casual play here.

Define casual please.

Also 4 months in EQ1 IIRC 1 max level and looking back it was a boring grind.

Would rather have two months of enjoyment rather than 6 months of grind little enjoyment.

with respect to the OP, I note your join date in these forums was 2011.

Had you been here since '08 like myself, you'd have seen the most heated debates about this very subject and your input, along with all the other '11-ers I see replying, would have been most valuable.

In short, the debate was should there be unique, bioware styled engame or same-old, same-old WoW endgame. What shocked me was the number of responses that read, "if it aint broke, dont fix it. WoW works for a reason." The voices of dissent got squelched over time and here you have it --wow in space.

I hear your concerns and I share them, but I do wish you'd ll been here piping up a bit sooner. Asking for a radical game change now is a bit unreasonable and all I can say to Bioware is, "we told you so." But lets keep at it and who knows, maybe they will wise up.

Right now Bioware sees all the pvp activity and thinks thats why the game is popular. The truth is most ppl dont want to level another toon via the same quest planets so theyre pvp-ing and story-questing. When GW2 comes out, the pvp-only crowd will abandon them and they'll be left with... us. Will they have realized this and start catering to us now or will they get stuck in an endless loop of pvp patches, fixes and content updates only to be left in the cold when pvp come lately launches? And how cold will it be for the real fans of the game... As I said too often in the old forums; time will tell.

Edited by ademnus

Define casual please.

Would rather have two months of enjoyment rather than 6 months of grind little enjoyment.

I played EQ1 for a very long time, from the day it came out till a little after POP landed. I can say that I never just "ground" to level. I was always grouping, farming items, selling at the EC tunnel, or just conversing.

EverQuests game mechanics were horrible - it was the people who made it an absolutely unforgettable experience. If you were bored on the way up, you probably didn't partake in all the social activities available to you.

Where as in SWTOR - they seem to shun social activities like a nun shuns strippers.

Oh, been in enough MMOs so that I know I can come back, but thanks for the tip just in case I didn't.

Have just been trying to point out that as a casual player I have been running out of things to do, that didn't happen in many of the older games I played, might be an issue here.

Not complaining, whining, raging or whatever labels people want to throw about, just noting - found this a little disappointing.

And I respond to this by saying that I, in my two or three hours a day of playing a crossed 4 characters do not have a single level 50 (Level 45 is meh highest). And that from an enjoyment view point this game is great.

How many of those months and years playing MMO can you say that you actually enjoyed grinding mobs in EQ alone all by yourself?

Just because the leveling process is fast that does not mean a lack of content when compared to other MMOs, just look at GW2.

If you were bored on the way up, you probably didn't partake in all the social activities available to you.

Where as in SWTOR - they seem to shun social activities like a nun shuns strippers.

who is they? Not the devs. I think you mean the players and if so, i agree. How many times have we asked for more to join an heroic 4, noted there 32 ppl in the zone, and seen zero replies? They beg for a dungeon finder tool but people are tryin to organize FPs on the fleet amid a hundred players who dont reply. Its all right here -but they dont want to be bothered. then they blame the devs. ugh.

Ok, go with that. Just so you know, if you actually read my original post, you would find it full of actual suggestions, while also commenting on an overall view of the game that I may or may not correctly believe belongs within a General forum. If you wish to remain uninformed, convinced that even without full knowledge you are correct then who am I to correct you?

Please continue being "not wrong".

Thanks for posting, have an excellent day! :D May we return to the issue at hand?

Lol, you just don't seem to get it.

Your post / thread serves what purpose?

If it's to help the game, you are in the wrong place. I can't say it any more basic than that.

Define casual please.

I have a wife, family, job and many other hobbies. I play computer games 1-2 hours late most evenings, sometimes console sometimes PC. That is casual for me - may not be for others.

My played time here is around 2 days in the first month and a few days. Loved the game so it had most of my gaming time in the first 3 weeks I played.

I have no issues at all in that I have had value for my money, happy with what I have spent, just wondering if Bioware /EA were hoping that someone with my profile would have given them more money in coming months, not likely to happen.

I played EQ1 for a very long time, from the day it came out till a little after POP landed. I can say that I never just "ground" to level. I was always grouping, farming items, selling at the EC tunnel, or just conversing.

But thats not really content, that community and that is something that YOU have to take on.

I find it odd that people think this way. You where grinding things back in EQ, badly might I add.

Just because the leveling process is fast that does not mean a lack of content when compared to other MMOs, just look at GW2.

Disagree. When you launch a MMO there is most likely going to be a lack of content at endgame, or a lack of TESTED endgame content. If leveling is quick, like TOR, players get to that content faster than you can fix it ending in complaints like you see on these boards.

While I understand that BW is positioning TOR to be the easiest, most casual MMO on the market slowing down the game at launch would have alleviated a lot of issues with endgame.

The people in this thread that are telling others to simply "make an alt" just don't get it...

We are not easily amused players with low expectations like you. If your imagination only extends to that of making an alt then I am sorry for you.

The game is a bore at 50!

Then you try to use the excuse of "Well don't burn through the content then!"

What the heck?! This has nothing to do with anything!

This game is so limited by it's own design.

This game is akin to getting your news from the television rather than the Internet. They decide what you are allowed to think. They decide the boundaries in which you are allowed analyze.

For God's sake! Open up the game and let us play!

You have the money! You have the personnel, and if you don't then you have the money to GET the personnel!

My level 50 Assassin tank that is decked out in full Columi/Rakata gear and over 22k hp unbuffed is seriously thinking about calling it quits.

I'm not even complaining about the bugs, or the horrible animations, or the dated graphics, or the piss-poor optimization....Those can be fixed with time! But playing in a prison CANNOT BE FIXED WITH TIME!

My played time here is around 2 days in the first month and a few days. Loved the game so it had most of my gaming time in the first 3 weeks I played..

I have serious doubts. There is no way in hell that in only two days worth of /played time you manged to run out of content.

And I respond to this by saying that I, in my two or three hours a day of playing a crossed 4 characters do not have a single level 50 (Level 45 is meh highest). And that from an enjoyment view point this game is great.

How many of those months and years playing MMO can you say that you actually enjoyed grinding mobs in EQ alone all by yourself?

Never spent any time in EQ grinding mobs all alone by myself. Had a great guild and friend list. And I agree on the enjoyment, had fun here.

Here is a neat idea.

Make raids foe every 15 levels and have 3-5 instances for every 15 levels.

Who cares if you aren't at level cap and raiding. It still will be challenging.

And slow down the leveling so people can experience it.

But that costs money to develop and they already know they can charge a monthly sub for a single player RPG with coop.

The people in this thread that are telling others to simply "make an alt" just don't get it...

We are not easily amused players with low expectations like you. If your imagination only extends to that of making an alt then I am sorry for you.

The game is a bore at 50!

Then you try to use the excuse of "Well don't burn through the content then!"

What the heck?! This has nothing to do with anything!

This game is so limited by it's own design.

This game is akin to getting your news from the television rather than the Internet. They decide what you are allowed to think. They decide the boundaries in which you are allowed analyze.

For God's sake! Open up the game and let us play!

You have the money! You have the personnel, and if you don't then you have the money to GET the personnel!

My level 50 Assassin tank that is decked out in full Columi/Rakata gear and over 22k hp unbuffed is seriously thinking about calling it quits.

I'm not even complaining about the bugs, or the horrible animations, or the dated graphics, or the piss-poor optimization....Those can be fixed with time! But playing in a prison CANNOT BE FIXED WITH TIME!

Why do you even bother? You are clearly displeased with the game. Personally I don't force myself to do things I don't enjoy.

Disagree. When you launch a MMO there is most likely going to be a lack of content at endgame, or a lack of TESTED endgame content. If leveling is quick, like TOR, players get to that content faster than you can fix it ending in complaints like you see on these boards.

Slowing down leveling would throw MMOs back into the Pre-WoW (Took me two months to get to 60 in Vanilla) dark ages where you had to grind the crap out of things.

Its the mentality of "I have to get to endgame to enjoy it" thats making people burn through content.

Here is a neat idea.

Make raids foe every 15 levels and have 3-5 instances for every 15 levels.

Who cares if you aren't at level cap and raiding. It still will be challenging.

And slow down the leveling so people can experience it.

But that costs money to develop and they already know they can charge a monthly sub for a single player RPG with coop.

I remember and experienced more from this storyline than I ever did in 85 levels of WoW, or many other games.

You don't have to slow it down, just make it interesting, which is what they did.

It's not their fault if people choose to skip it.

Please read the Original Post in it's entirety. Thanks.

I did, and I come to the same conclusion he did, which is that you are burnt out on MMOs. Unfortunately, people have played the same mechanics so often that anything remotely similar will remind them to a degree of the other game they got burned out on and don't want to play anymore.

This is why, as I have been saying since close to the beginning of the WoW launch, MMOs are more about exploration, socializing, and RP...not about objective completion. If you view them that way, you will burn out on every one.

MMOs are for people who want a second "world" to hang out in after they do their daily work/life requirements...not a competitive arena to find an outlet in which they can, for once, be "better" than the other guy(or gal).

If a person doesn't like a cool social environment to hang out with friends in and play a social interactive game, the MMO design is not for them. It has been stretched to its limits and nearly torn apart by the influx of people with incompatible goals and playstyles that WoW is largely responsible for, and it is time people start to realize that the idea of a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER game is mostly about creating and experiencing a new world, exploring it and enjoying it, and not about reaching goal x, y, and z.

The structure of MMOs cannot sustain that kind of pace, and prioritizing goal completion above adventure and imagination are ruining MMO communities the world over. This is a fact.

An FPS or RTS style game can much more easily keep up with player demand for new competitive style gameplay, which is why I have never understood why the so called "hard cores" need every last MMO to be designed according to their type of play...when it doesn't even mesh with the MMO style to begin with.

There are a ton of RTS and FPS games out there these days, and also a LOT of MMO choices for those who want to raid 24/7, including the most established in the genre. Can't we have something a bit different for once? Or will people flopping in with ideas that do the game no good, who will only run to the next game they think might serve their needs always have the final say?

I have serious doubts. There is no way in hell that in only two days worth of /played time you manged to run out of content.

Haven't run out yet - still have 20 odd days on my sub - just based on what I have done to date - will be close to running out by then. As mentioned, not complaining - had fun - but reminds me of Fable on the console, fun for a shorter time than I was hoping.

But thats not really content, that community and that is something that YOU have to take on.

I find it odd that people think this way. You where grinding things back in EQ, badly might I add.

Yes, you were grinding. However, it did not Feel like grinding. Not like we know it today. Conversation - boss spawns - they helped break up the monotony. However I did say that EQ1 was mechanically awful as far as game to fun raitio went if you look at it from Just the game standpoint.

EQ1's social aspect came from a different time as well, this is recognized. MMOG's were extremely niche. It was a benefit to the genre I believe that WoW kind of stuck the final knife in. When people don't group for Heroic 4's, or 2's, it's because they honestly don't feel they need to. The gear/exp isn't all that incredible and they just go on their merry way.

Social gathering areas in SWTOR are - nil. The cantinas are lifeless places that have nothing to facilitate a sense of gathering, chairs, conversation bubbles, emotes while sitting. These are little things that really spice up what's available to you. However, they chose not to add these right away because - well they figured people would be busy playing. However, to foster community - which is what they tried to do without the dungeon finder as Everyone on the forums pre launch was hating on the idea, simply didn't pan out because the game simply gets you into the "I solo" mentality, especially with the HUGE crowd of solo RPG players the game attracted.

That being said, grouping will pick up in a few months once the slow rpg casual players hit 50. In EQ1 you had to group if you weren't a shaman/mage/necromancer. If you were ballsy, you soloed on an Enchanter. Also the lack of an auction house created a need for player run sales. Another big hit to Community was the invent of the AH/Bazaar. It completely removed interaction from sales.

Anyway, I don't need to go on. MMO's need to actively design ways to MAKE people get together beyond "LF Dungeon". GW2's trying to redesign this aspect in some ways SWTOR is not.

If thats the case whats preventing you from doing the same in TOR?

I think it's the lack of variety / depth in systems.

I'm playing EQ2 atm as well. As 2 examples; the alternate advancement system and the deep crafting system give me 2 more things to do with my time. There are lots more. of course, it has been around for ages so not saying TOR should be there yet - but if it is a choice of where to spend money, newer games have more of a challenge when there are so many options - just expected TOR to have been more of a pull on my wallet than it has.

Why do you even bother? You are clearly displeased with the game. Personally I don't force myself to do things I don't enjoy.

Can a paying supporter of Bioware and Star Wars not hope for improvements?

Why do I bother? Why do you think I bother?

Of course, I am displeased with the game...so are a lot of other people! And your solution is to condescendingly speak down to us and tell us to quit?

OBVIOUSLY, you are displeased as well, otherwise you would not resort to such an empty response.

I want this game to succeed, and the fans are VOICING their concerns and hopes!

But I'll just listen to your wisdom for life and just not force myself to do things I don't enjoy ...sigh.