A Meeting of the Minds on LFG.

Jayvenger

These two things actually could help make LFD a better tool!

Those two things right there, or something similar will actually do it. Yes most of it is human behavior but unfortunately when folks have zero consequences they act totally different most times then they other wise would.

The other thing is, don't do what wow did and get rid of the old system. The old system you picked out what you wanted to run or quests you wanted to do, it put you in the lfg channel and you could put together the group as you could see who else was looking.

Having both, makes both parties able to effectively put groups together. While still allowing the community to moderate its self and encourages non D-Bag play due to there being a direct consequence to there actions in a group.

Dual spec personally the only fix to that that I can think of, is to limit how many times you can change your spec in a given day or to put a cool down on it. Something small but something to still say you cant just change at the drop of a hat. Maybe an hour or two cool down on it.

Still gives you the versatility to change, while limiting the effect on players not to be able to find groups due to not being able to offer more then just there dps role. It encourages you to grab what ever dps you can vs grabbing specific classes due to them being able to fill another roll if that roll drops the group. Will it still happen of course that's human nature but it wont happen as often and there by minimizes the impact as much as possible.

For raids ect where the issue is honestly the largest it allows your tanks/healer ect to do their solo content as a dps while still filling the role of a tank or healer without impact to the group. It allows your pvpers there pvp spec and pve spec.

You may not be able to change as often as you want but you can still change when needed and offers you that versatility that we want.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, having just finished reading the giant flame fest that was that other thread on a LFG system, I have decided to try and make a civil one of my own. No original post begging for flames, or offering my ideas like they are a be all end all. I will simply list and explain a few ideas that I believe will help ease the suffering of trying to find groups for Flashpoints and Heroic 4 quests.

The first is obvious a a LFD like system. SAME SERVER only. Would allow people to continue whatever they were doing prior Queuing. Don't give me how this would ruin community, cause they are already doing it with PvP.

Second would be server mergers. Plain and simple, they released way too many servers at the start of the game's life cycle. Some servers have high populations and make it semi easy to find groups. But when your on a server and there's only 8 other people on different stages of a planet, finding a group for a specific Heroic 4 can be a pain.

Galaxy wide LFG channel, level versions. This means that there would be a 1-10 LFG channel as well as one for the other levels ranges. Maybe even every 5 levels instead of 10. In your options, you could select which of these channels you want to track/participate in. Ala EQ2.

Dual Spec system. Why this wasn't out at the start of the game, I will never understand. With it, you could quest around as a DPS spec Juggernaut then press a button a switch to Tank spec once you were in a group. Sure, it could make for more than a few less than good Tanks till they learn, but at least we would actually HAVE tanks.

Lastly, I would beef up the current LFG system by a LOT. A check box for your role, a check box for any FP or H4 you are eligible for and some sort of notice if the game finds the other 3 specs you need to do said FP/H4. Maybe even a little box asking if you want to go LFG for this quest when you get it so you don't have to open O, click a different tab then set yourself LFG.

So, any civil thoughts on my ideas? Which one(s) would you choose? Have an idea of your own? Feel free to share, and please do not flame each other. Constructive criticism only.

You missed Xserver LFD

After some thought you could make the banned list apply to the account and not just the toon. This would prevent a D-bag from hopping on another toon without you realizing it.

I absolutely agree with this. I think a friend/ignore list that was account-linked would be fantastic.

Hopefully between now and when they release the RDF they will reconsider the X-server option, as I feel the "people turn into monstrous bloodthirsty jerks" reason is absurd.

Edited by MalignX

Here's my take, if they can deal with all the flaming and trolling on these forums then they can deal with the occasional jerk in lfg? Besides that HALF of these trolls and griefers would not be on the forums if they had an easier time actually playing the game, right? As it stands now it takes hours for some people to JUST get a group together. Doesn't this make sense?

Here's my take, if they can deal with all the flaming and trolling on these forums then they can deal with the occasional jerk in lfg? Besides that HALF of these trolls and griefers would not be on the forums if they had an easier time actually playing the game, right? As it stands now it takes hours for some people to JUST get a group together. Doesn't this make sense?

While I am certainly guilty of the occasional "Flaming Post", I don't support griefers/trolls only in the sense that for the most part is doesn't do anyone any good. I am however susceptible to goading by incendiary posts, and I can see how any heated topic can turn "nasty". With that said, if someone being "rude" to Person A devastates their day, I am really going to have to insist Person A consider medication of somekind, as "rude" people populate this planet in no small numbers, and Person A is going to have to figure out a coping mechanism for dealing with "rude" people in video games. I certainly don't think that the RDF will infect anyone with this "Jerk" (Jerk refering to Bioware's stated reason for being hesitant to add a X-Cross server feature to the upcoming RDF) disease and trying to demonize a grouping mechanic to explain people's bad behavior is silly. In my opinion.

Edited by MalignX

Will I am certainly guilty of the occasional "Flaming Post", I don't support griefers/trolls only in the sense that for the most part is doesn't do either side any good, but I am definitely susceptible to goading as anyone and I can see how any heated topic can turn nasty. With that said, if someone being "rude" to you devastates your day, I am really going to have to insist you consider medication of sometime, as "rude" people populate this planet in no small numbers. I certainly don't think that the RDF will infect anyone with this "Jerk" disease and trying to demonize a mechanic to explain people's behavior is silly. In my opinion.

could you rephrase that? no seriously

While I am certainly guilty of the occasional "Flaming Post", I don't support griefers/trolls only in the sense that for the most part is doesn't do anyone any good. I am however susceptible to goading by incendiary posts, and I can see how any heated topic can turn "nasty". With that said, if someone being "rude" to Person A devastates their day, I am really going to have to insist Person A consider medication of somekind, as "rude" people populate this planet in no small numbers, and Person A is going to have to figure out a coping mechanism for dealing with "rude" people in video games. I certainly don't think that the RDF will infect anyone with this "Jerk" (Jerk refering to Bioware's stated reason for being hesitant to add a X-Cross server feature to the upcoming RDF) disease and trying to demonize a grouping mechanic to explain people's bad behavior is silly. In my opinion.

right I agree with you.. I think. If we are saying the same thing than i support an in game lfg and like you i dont think it will cuz a catastrophic meltdown. What iam saying is that the people on here are pretty resilient to all the negative posts so far, it hasnt exploded yet. Why cant they tolerate some rude people in game, at least it would make the game more accessible.

I am not Grouper, I am a soloist but I will add a comment, though.

I hate seeing General Chat filled with LFG requests.

For a game that has dozens and dozens of FP's and Heroics, I honestly dont understand why there isnt a seperate channel for LFG.

right I agree with you.. I think. If we are saying the same thing than i support an in game lfg and like you i dont think it will cuz a catastrophic meltdown. What iam saying is that the people on here are pretty resilient to all the negative posts so far, it hasnt exploded yet. Why cant they tolerate some rude people in game, at least it would make the game more accessible.

We do agree, and in fact I think you've brought up a point that most people don't. In the 500+ pages this LFG discussion has gone on for, I have found the Anti-LFGers to be a little more incendiary in the sense that they've come across as "I don't like it, you shouldn't get it! And if you don't understand why it is the worse idea in the world, you're an idiot!" and seem more than willing to throw flames back and forth, but at the same time they say that the LFG mechanic will bring this very thing out in other people were it doesn't exist already. While I am sure they feel very strongly about their opinions, they can't admit they are opinions and not irrefutable facts.

Edited by MalignX

We do agree, and in fact I think you've brought up a point that most people don't. In the 500+ pages this LFG discussion has gone on for, I have found the Anti-LFGers to be a little more incendiary in the sense that they've come across as "I don't like it, you shouldn't get it! And if you don't understand why it is the worse idea in the world, you're an idiot!" and seem more than willing to throw flames back and forth, but at the same time they say that the LFG mechanic will bring this very thing out in other people were it doesn't exist already. While I am sure they feel very strongly about their opinions, they can't admit they are opinions and not irrefutable facts.

So true.

Again...jerks are jerks, bad players are bad, and nothing added to increase the pool and potential match of people to content will change that.

And I'm still in disbelief that in an era of Facebook and the likes allowing anyone to share everything with everyone, not one game company has yet fully implemented something as simple as a tool to allow you to connect with others across the virtual divides that servers artificially place on a game community as a whole.

Blizzard has probably come the closest thus far with their RealID Battle.net system, but it still has issues with having to share more information than some would like (real names).

Bioware should focus on developing best in class tools that allow us as gamers to connect with each other across servers (and across games) to communicate and participate with each other.

How much more engaging would SWTOR be if you could communicate and group with both real life friends playing on other servers, friends made in game on your server, or friends made on other servers through a functioning LFG tool.

Edited by DawnAskham

I agree with everything you said absolutely EXCEPT dual spec

And it really has nothing to do with lfd at all

Are you familiar with WoW and the issues that their LFG tool had, even when it was cross-server? In that game, the vast majority of people play DPS and there's a screaming need for healers and tanks.

Dual-spec could help with this problem; someone can opt to spec into tanking and potentially fill more roles in a group. There's one more tank lined up for the queue, which means that there's a base for at least one more group getting started that much faster.

Dual-spec actually has a lot to do with LFD (and is a great help!) if you are advocating for a queue-based system a la the Warzones.

So true.

Again...jerks are jerks, bad players are bad, and nothing added to increase the pool and potential match of people to content will change that.

And I'm still in disbelief that in an era of Facebook and the likes allowing anyone to share everything with everyone, not one game company has yet fully implemented something as simple as a tool to allow you to connect with others across the virtual divides that servers artificially place on a game community as a whole.

Blizzard has probably come the closest thus far with their RealID Battle.net system, but it still has issues with having to share more information than some would like (real names).

Bioware should focus on developing best in class tools that allow us as gamers to connect with each other across servers (and across games) to communicate and participate with each other.

How much more engaging would SWTOR be if you could communicate and group with both real life friends playing on other servers, friends made in game on your server, or friends made on other servers through a functioning LFG tool.

This is something I would really like to see as well, I loved connecting to friends that had already established themselves on other servers with the ID-friends list, you could talk cross-server, auto updated all their characters, and could group in RDF. It was fantastic. The only problem at the moment is that they don't plan on implementing a X-server option with the new RDF coming out. Which is a shame, especially when their only stated reason is that everyone is worried about "Jerks", which to me is just friggin ridiculous. If "jerks" concern you so much, turn off the power to your house, light a candle, and don't leave your basement.

Are you familiar with WoW and the issues that their LFG tool had, even when it was cross-server? In that game, the vast majority of people play DPS and there's a screaming need for healers and tanks.

Dual-spec could help with this problem; someone can opt to spec into tanking and potentially fill more roles in a group. There's one more tank lined up for the queue, which means that there's a base for at least one more group getting started that much faster.

Dual-spec actually has a lot to do with LFD (and is a great help!) if you are advocating for a queue-based system a la the Warzones.

The main argument I hear against Dual Speccing, is that "People won't know how to play their class! They should learn to play and be happy with what they picked!", which is about as stupefying a reason as anything else being put forth.

I am not Grouper, I am a soloist but I will add a comment, though.

I hate seeing General Chat filled with LFG requests.

For a game that has dozens and dozens of FP's and Heroics, I honestly dont understand why there isnt a seperate channel for LFG.

There is but people don't use it. There is a LFG tool but nobody uses it either.

What this game needs is a user friendly LFD tool and it would solve the problems.

And yeah that SPAM is the "community" people want to save.

There is but people don't use it. There is a LFG tool but nobody uses it either.

What this game needs is a user friendly LFD tool and it would solve the problems.

And yeah that SPAM is the "community" people want to save.

The only LFG channels for chat are user created ones. And the current LFG "tool" is so very turn of the century it's not funny.