Stealth Nerfed?

Maarkean

I've been a stealthy scoundrel, focusing on sneaking up to NPC's, tranquilizing them, and then backblasting/flechette round. But now that I am 50 and moving around Ilum, my stealth has become completely useless.

While moving around a group of NPC's (sometimes outside of aggro range), a weird red circle is appearing and then the NPC's are aggroing me. And it's not Bosses/Champions, but Strongs and Normals.

I can't get close enough to NPC's to use my stealth abilities anymore. Is this a nerf to stealth, a bug, something weird with Ilum? It got so bad that I respecced to go sawbones and try it out since my stealth attacks were useless.

The circle is a detect warning, they know someone is there. Move away from them if it pops up and they shouldn't come after you. Also, for most mmos, certain mobs will have higher stealth detection. Scouts and the like I give wider distance, usually some indicator in their name.

Use sneak to get close and come at them from the back, the forward arc has the highest detection rate.

Since when was the game designed around the fact that SNEAK is to be used on COOLDOWN all the time?

What the heck is the point of having a ability that has to be in use all the time?

So being a Stealth class means you can not depend on your Stealth?

Tell me does a Sorc or BM or Jedi have to click on a talent constantly just to be that class?

Example is on Ilum a daily quest means you click on Sneak so much it is on cooldown and in use every single time it comes off coodown. That is a broken mechanic right there.

Edited by Metalmac

This has to be a bug. I just turned 50 on my scoundrel today, and I did not encounter this problem on any other planet. Mobs aggro from a much longer distance when stealthed. In fact, they don't aggro from the same distance when not stealthed. It doesn't make sense. It's difficult to play the way I've been playing up until 50, as stealth is mostly useless on Ilum for me right now. Hopefully they will identify this as a bug and fix it. Kind of disappointing to hit 50 and have this bug/problem.

Edit: Found this video when doing a search for this bug, trying to find others who may also be experiencing this problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x0i4_n_wRw

Edited by Skyzen

Currently playing a 49Scoundrel in Corellia. At the moment, mobs in heroics detect and aggro me in stealth at a greater distance than they do unstealthed.

With 3 points in Sneaky and Sneak activated (effective stealth level of 66), a level 48 elite is able to detect me from about 15m. A red spiraling circle appears on my character, stealth is broken, and the mobs aggro.

Occasionally, the circle will appear on my companion instead of me.

I do not receive any debuffs, and the mobs have no apparent buffs that would indicate they can see through stealth.

This actually caused numerous mis-pulls in a Heroic 4 group I was in earlier this evening.

Today's the first time I've ever encountered this. Submitted a ticket asking for clarification. If this isn't clearly a bug, then I don't know what is, as it completely negates a Scoundrel's ability to CC using Tranq.

Edited by HansBrolo

If you have a red circle on you, that mean the mob is using an actual Stealth Detection skill on you. It's purpose is to keep players from sneaking past bosses. Of course, it's really ridiculous that their Stealth Detection range is much large than their actual aggro range.

And that all said, mobs do have an absurdly good stealth detection anyway. If you're trying to sneak past in front of them, just forget about it. They will almost always see you unless you use Sneak. I'm honestly not sure if that trait actually boosts stealth level.

Although it may seem like everyone on Ilum has this it's actually just one quest where they were rather too liberal with the stealth detection mobs. I don't remember their name, as I did it weeks ago, but you have pairs of Strong mobs standing together right? One Sith and one Imperial Officer (or something like that?) It's the Officers who have the ability and they are, I agree, a complete pain in the butt. For that mission you can't rely on Tranq and actually have to learn to fight both mobs together, which is challenging as they both hit very hard indeed. My tip would be to flashbang the sith and then take the officer down asap.

The PVE Dailies on Ilum don't involve these mobs at all.

If you have a red circle on you, that mean the mob is using an actual Stealth Detection skill on you. It's purpose is to keep players from sneaking past bosses. Of course, it's really ridiculous that their Stealth Detection range is much large than their actual aggro range.

And that all said, mobs do have an absurdly good stealth detection anyway. If you're trying to sneak past in front of them, just forget about it. They will almost always see you unless you use Sneak. I'm honestly not sure if that trait actually boosts stealth level.

Explain to me why Ilum the DAILY QUEST would required a stealth class not to use stealth?

Although it may seem like everyone on Ilum has this it's actually just one quest where they were rather too liberal with the stealth detection mobs. I don't remember their name, as I did it weeks ago, but you have pairs of Strong mobs standing together right? One Sith and one Imperial Officer (or something like that?) It's the Officers who have the ability and they are, I agree, a complete pain in the butt. For that mission you can't rely on Tranq and actually have to learn to fight both mobs together, which is challenging as they both hit very hard indeed. My tip would be to flashbang the sith and then take the officer down asap.

What, did you just start the game?

Yes the Daily does it is a +2 Heroic and when 2 Scrappers are doing it welcome to 10 wipes like I had to do. It was insane we could not use the opener Shoot First and any AOE would pull other mobs.

For a class that has crappy sustained damage and runs low on resources quickly this is crazy.

What, did you just start the game?

Yes the Daily does it is a +2 Heroic and when 2 Scrappers are doing it welcome to 10 wipes like I had to do. It was insane we could not use the opener Shoot First and any AOE would pull other mobs.

For a class that has crappy sustained damage and runs low on resources quickly this is crazy.

Darkness on Ilum? You click the summoning points for each of the three sith lords, they pop out with a bunch of crazy adds basically on top of you (which is a problem for stealthers I admit, but still...), you kill them all, you weave your way between spawns to the next one and repeat. Three down, you head back and take your reward.

I haven't done Darkness for over a week (not much point now I'm in full Tier 2 gear and all my companions are in Centurion or better) but it really isn't a mission that should involve stealth at all. From experience, it definitely works better if you run it as Tank+DPS or Healer+DPS instead of 2xDPS but I've done it with 2 Melee DPS and 2 Healing pets more than once.

If you have two Scrappers then you have two lots of Flashbang that you can use one after the other to make the fight more manageable. Throw a Flashbang and both focus on one Strong target, throw another and take down another strong target... remember to then also both use DK and Interrupts... Really, I think it would be easier for two Scrappers rather than two DFers as you don't need to rely on AOEs so you can make use of Flashbang.

Just finished this quest... it's part of the "Crystal Ball" questline where it sends you into an area with Imperial Officers and Sith Apprentices. It was fairly amusing... I could stand in the main room with nothing attacking, but as soon as I dropped into stealth every mob in the place would suddenly notice me and start shooting. Even better, if I chose to res there, the entire room would again aggro as soon as the animation finished - about the same time as the number '8' appeared.

No stealth made this portion of the quest much more challenging than it should have been.

OMG I remember that quest! I remember having to run out of the story area after every kill and had a short window to kill the stealth detection mobs. When they fell I had to take out the elite non-boss, then got the sith girl all by herself, kept up tendon blast, and kited her.

This is not a bug and this only affects one quest on Ilum that is NOT a daily. Yes it is annoying but does it make the quest impossible? Hell no!

My strategy was to bum rush the officer (the guy with the stealth detection) and then tranq him. You do have just enough time to do this if you head straight for the officer. You still be taken out of combat but thats not that big a deal.

This is not a bug and this only affects one quest on Ilum that is NOT a daily. Yes it is annoying but does it make the quest impossible? Hell no!

My strategy was to bum rush the officer (the guy with the stealth detection) and then tranq him. You do have just enough time to do this if you head straight for the officer. You still be taken out of combat but thats not that big a deal.

I just stayed out of stealth an cleared the entire room before doing the final fight....It was a pain in the rear tho for sure

Explain to me why Ilum the DAILY QUEST would required a stealth class not to use stealth?

it's not a daily with this problem. it's one of the main quest line on ilum to unlock the dailies. it's just one quest with imperial officers that see you and aggro you from stealth farther than they aggro you if you werent stealthed. it's annoying. but once you're done, you're done

the other dailies dont have these mobs

Someone name another quest in the game where your class signature ability is gone?

Go ahead and name a class that has to put up with this kind of crap anti class Quest?

Most Flashpoints? You can't stealth to any of the mobs to get within melee range before they detect you.

Also, Shadows and Assassins have to deal with this issue too.

Since when was the game designed around the fact that SNEAK is to be used on COOLDOWN all the time?

What the heck is the point of having a ability that has to be in use all the time?

So being a Stealth class means you can not depend on your Stealth?

Tell me does a Sorc or BM or Jedi have to click on a talent constantly just to be that class?

Example is on Ilum a daily quest means you click on Sneak so much it is on cooldown and in use every single time it comes off coodown. That is a broken mechanic right there.

tracer missle

After yesterday patch, 14th February, people in warzone detect me far easier then before.

Its very noticable.

And for PVE, having to rely on a 1 min cd for 8 seconds to pass some pve mobs unless outside of 5-10 meters is just redicilous.

Then again its also understandable.

Just make sneak on a 30 second cooldown and we are fine.

• 10 months later...
The circle is a detect warning, they know someone is there. Move away from them if it pops up and they shouldn't come after you. Also, for most mmos, certain mobs will have higher stealth detection. Scouts and the like I give wider distance, usually some indicator in their name.

some mobs have a stealth detections and that is much farther then the normal aggro range its not a bug or a glitch, most flashpoint have atleast a few of these. they usually have a marker above their heads that pops up every so often. this range is about 20m

other anti stealth powers are scouts/champions with wider stealth detetion ranges and the stealth scanners that drop sets of three probes there scan in circles around them and entering range of drops u from stealth but this does not cause aggro itself.

• 3 weeks later...

This game amazes me. I played beta, early release and 3 months subbed untill I quit. I come back and sub 8 months later and all the same bugs are there.

Never seen a game charge $15 a month and give/do so little. This game is a example of what happens when you hire people that have no clue about MMOs.

Guess this is also what happens when you hire pvp carebears to handle pvp in a MMO.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.