Assassin sucks.

Derity

This post is aimed at anyone thinking about rolling an Assassin, seriously, you have been warned. Don't.

I thought things would get better when I got geared up, My Assassin is now almost full Champion PVP geared, roughly 500 expertise and full tank specced.

My damage sucks. I find it EXTREMELY hard to get the 2.5k damage in one hit medal in Warzones. Ok, fair enough that because I'm tank spec I shouldn't really be expecting to be doing the most damage in a Warzone, I understand that, but the numbers that I am doing are so pathetic that even in Flashpoints and Operations I am not even a good tank because I can't even cause enough threat on enemies to keep them on me when up against good DPSers. I am forced into spamming my "threat" skills, that don't even seem to cause any actual threat, they just trick targets into attacking me for 6 seconds, then poof, they go straight after the dps.

As a tank Assassin:

- The damage output in comparison to a Juggernaut is significantly lower.

- The threat against targets in comparison to a Juggernaut is significantly lower.

- The damage absorbed in comparison to a Juggernaut due to light armor is significantly lower.

Basically as a tank, there is reason I can think of as to why any guild would choose an Assassin as their main tank over a Juggernaut. It is just not as good in any way. Even as an offtank, guilds may aswell just get another Juggernaut.

As a DPS class, the Assassin is also inferior. Burst damage is close to non-exsistant. In comparison to an Operative, who can burst and kill targets in seconds - the Assassin just does not have anything like it. The Assassin is overall a much slower killer.

The fact that the class has to rely on so many self-buffs just to pull off some mediocre damage, is what ruins the class. The Assassin has to use skills like Thrash and Shock, repetitively in order to get a proc and then "unleash" their burst damage, which is - to be honest, crap.

After playing an Assassin to 50 and a Sniper to 50, I can easily say that as a DPS class, the Sniper, by far out damages the Assassin. Geared or Ungeared. PVP and PVE.

Completely dissapointed with this class, time to roll something else.

Edited by Derity

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're completely wrong in every way when it comes to tanking. Juggernauts and Guardians are widely considered the weakest tanks in the game.

Say that to the main tank of my guild who runs Nightmare EV & KP weekly.

Can't say about tankadins.. but in pvp they seem fairly powerfull foes, ok not the highest damage.. but still very formidable and their survivability is pretty damn great.

Now when it comes to dpsing ( i'm one of those strong deception believers ) i think u couldn't be further off the truth tbh.. due to bad luck i only have about 3 pieces of pvp armor and the weapon.. i'm currently rank 51 and i tell u, i can rip people to shreds if played correctly.. learn ur opponents, learn to counter them.. watch them die and see nice numbers flying around like 4k+.. true story!

Can't say about tankadins.. but in pvp they seem fairly powerfull foes, ok not the highest damage.. but still very formidable and their survivability is pretty damn great.

Now when it comes to dpsing ( i'm one of those strong deception believers ) i think u couldn't be further off the truth tbh.. due to bad luck i only have about 3 pieces of pvp armor and the weapon.. i'm currently rank 51 and i tell u, i can rip people to shreds if played correctly.. learn ur opponents, learn to counter them.. watch them die and see nice numbers flying around like 4k+.. true story!

Cool story bro.

But numbers do not lie. I have never seen a 4k crit on my Assassin who has around 10 peices of champion pvp gear. Regardless of how well I play, it makes no difference, my character is not capable of a 4k crit.

Say that to the main tank of my guild who runs Nightmare EV & KP weekly.

He didn't say non-viable. He said the weakest.

Besides, plenty of Sins tank nightmare stuff as well, so if that's some sort of refutation of what is the weakest tank, then this thread is done.

They need to put the total damage of Force Lightning as one number just to satisfy the 'big number' crowd.

Getting fried for 1500 X 4 in 3 seconds apparently just isn't the same as taking 6000 damage in one hit. I guess it sucks that you basically can't get the 5K medal since FL damage isn't counted as one hit, but I rarely see people hit 5K unless they specifically slot their gear to do it.

In the last game of Voidstar I played the highest hit I have was 3000 and I did 150K more than the next closest guy and had 11 medals. But I guess I should be worried that almost everyone had a higher max hit than I did?

I have a 50 guardian tank and a 50 assassin tank and they both have their strengths and weaknesses. Even with the somewhat weak aoe threat of the guardian it is viable and even with the somewhat (slightly) softer damage of the assassin it is viable as well. You have to do a lot as a tank in this game. In Flashpoints things are spread out and you really have to work for your threat. I know that damage equals threat to some extent, but I worry less about damage than I do about rounding up mobs and making sure that I'm the one taking damage. I know that if I can do that job well then things will usually turn out ok. With the game still in it's infancy I think we all still need to reserve judgment on our classes until the first significant changes are made to class trees etc. Just one guy talking here.

Cool story bro.

But numbers do not lie. I have never seen a 4k crit on my Assassin who has around 10 peices of champion pvp gear. Regardless of how well I play, it makes no difference, my character is not capable of a 4k crit.

LOL.

If thats the case then, you suck.

I am no where near champion gear(mostly lvl 49 orange and some centurion and tionese) and I shock for 3.5k, maul for 3k discharge for 3.5k and assassinate for 3k. I dont see these numbers everytime, but my biggest hits post these numbers easily.

Cool story bro.

You sir, then fail. I just crit 4.6k on an assassinate, hybrid tank spec.

Then u are doing something wrong.. I have about 82% surge rating , 260ish expertise and i've had crits up to like 4.6k etc ( and soon i'll get it up more once i can make my rakata surge adrenale ) , most of the time i get like 3.8s etc though, but still.. can't say that's bad.. not pulling this stuff out of my hat. Even for huttballing etc, i can carry the ball semi ok for being a pure dps class, just make sure u stance-dance.. it does make a difference.. Biochem also lends a hand and knowing to time ur defensive cooldowns are a must.

Thing I do is always focus healers ( as u should unless ur braindead ) and go like stealth : recklessness --> Discharge, 1x vs , low slash ( don't slack on it though ) , 2nd vs ( force shroud ) , shock and then it's a matter prioritizing etc.. usually they'll be panicing by then, trying desperatly to knock me back or heal themselves.. interrupt works miracles.. slowing them down is just lol for smashing some good mauls in etc..

All in all, it's knowing to pop ur cooldowns at the right time, if u want ( always helps but isn't needed persé ) pop a expertise pot and trinket(s).

This post is aimed at anyone thinking about rolling an Assassin, seriously, you have been warned. Don't.

I thought things would get better when I got geared up, My Assassin is now almost full Champion PVP geared, roughly 500 expertise and full tank specced.

My damage sucks. I find it EXTREMELY hard to get the 2.5k damage in one hit medal in Warzones. Ok, fair enough that because I'm tank spec I shouldn't really be expecting to be doing the most damage in a Warzone, I understand that, but the numbers that I am doing are so pathetic that even in Flashpoints and Operations I am not even a good tank because I can't even cause enough threat on enemies to keep them on me when up against good DPSers. I am forced into spamming my "threat" skills, that don't even seem to cause any actual threat, they just trick targets into attacking me for 6 seconds, then poof, they go straight after the dps.

As a tank Assassin:

- The damage output in comparison to a Juggernaut is significantly lower.

- The threat against targets in comparison to a Juggernaut is significantly lower.

- The damage absorbed in comparison to a Juggernaut due to light armor is significantly lower.

Basically as a tank, there is reason I can think of as to why any guild would choose an Assassin as their main tank over a Juggernaut. It is just not as good in any way. Even as an offtank, guilds may aswell just get another Juggernaut.

As a DPS class, the Assassin is also inferior. Burst damage is close to non-exsistant. In comparison to an Operative, who can burst and kill targets in seconds - the Assassin just does not have anything like it. The Assassin is overall a much slower killer.

The fact that the class has to rely on so many self-buffs just to pull off some mediocre damage, is what ruins the class. The Assassin has to use skills like Thrash and Shock, repetitively in order to get a proc and then "unleash" their burst damage, which is - to be honest, crap.

After playing an Assassin to 50 and a Sniper to 50, I can easily say that as a DPS class, the Sniper, by far out damages the Assassin. Geared or Ungeared. PVP and PVE.

Completely dissapointed with this class, time to roll something else.

i dont even have a piece of battlemaster yet and i can burste prity well i think its just another case of being bad

first off before i even bother to telling you are wrong, go get rid of your gosh darn tank gear get dps gear spec dps and have fun...good grief dude...

im only a lvl 14 assassin and i couldnt be having more effin fun...so many people compare this that and the other to other classes, i did this to when i first started, but when i dropped that mindset and played the game for what it was my fun level jumped from 50 to 1337 in a couple days time...

PLAY AN ASSASSIN FOR WHAT IT IS - AN ASSASSIN!

first off before i even bother to telling you are wrong, go get rid of your gosh darn tank gear get dps gear spec dps and have fun...good grief dude...

im only a lvl 14 assassin and i couldnt be having more effin fun...so many people compare this that and the other to other classes, i did this to when i first started, but when i dropped that mindset and played the game for what it was my fun level jumped from 50 to 1337 in a couple days time...

No disrespect, but lvl 50 pvp is where the deal is at.. huge difference between the higher and low pvp bracket skill / gear and priority wise.

I have a 50 guardian tank and a 50 assassin tank and they both have their strengths and weaknesses. Even with the somewhat weak aoe threat of the guardian it is viable and even with the somewhat (slightly) softer damage of the assassin it is viable as well. You have to do a lot as a tank in this game. In Flashpoints things are spread out and you really have to work for your threat. I know that damage equals threat to some extent, but I worry less about damage than I do about rounding up mobs and making sure that I'm the one taking damage. I know that if I can do that job well then things will usually turn out ok. With the game still in it's infancy I think we all still need to reserve judgment on our classes until the first significant changes are made to class trees etc. Just one guy talking here.

I'll be there in spirit laughing at you when you hit 50 and regret all that wasted time and effort.

"I play an assassin........as a tank........in a situation were i should be playing as an ASSASSIN"

Stupid people are stupid

My 36 sin hit a 4.2k crit on another player today with maul, 2 lvls higher than me.

hybrid spec

/Thread

So you're saying that Level 36 DPS Spec can do more damage than a Level 50 Tank with 500 Expertise?

Because your Maul costs 50% less energy?

What am I missing here?

Edited by Derity

If you're a juggernaut complaining about tanking, I can understand that. But your an assassin playing a tank spec and complaining your not as good as classes intended to play as tanks in the initial phase of an mmo... Was it the light armor that convinced you to try tanking ? Even the talent tree itself indicates minimal damage evasion/mitigation. Respec or Reroll. Edited by draculrom

If you're a juggernaut complaining about tanking, I can understand that. But your an assassin playing a tank spec and complaining your not as good as classes intended to play as tanks in the initial phase of an mmo... Was it the light armor that convinced you to try tanking ? Even the talent tree itself indicates minimal damage evasion/mitigation. Respec or Reroll.

So what you're saying is Assassin isn't meant to tank?

Kinda strange that they made a tank tree, tank skills and tank equipment. Very strange.

Edited by Derity

So you're saying that Level 36 DPS Spec can do more damage than a Level 50 Tank with 500 Expertise?

Because your Maul costs 50% less energy?

What am I missing here?

Poor guy, you need to play all roles of the assassin before you start dogging the class. Induction also ignores 50% of armor and you get additional armor penetration as well... And as far as not hitting 2.5k then its your gear. I am lvl 61 SA and can easily shock 3k+ 4k+ with adrenals in full darkness spec. DPS spec can hit upwards of 6-7k. Replace all your mods with surge / crit and your g2g. Reckleness + crit relic + consumables = dead ppl all over. Do some more research, spend a million trying different builds like I did, and maybe you will grasp the class a bit better ;)

Oh btw can tank anything in a raid situation as well, and don't rely on force taunts.

No disrespect, but lvl 50 pvp is where the deal is at.. huge difference between the higher and low pvp bracket skill / gear and priority wise.

hmm i bet your a lvl 50 that suffered painstakingly through the 1-50 bracket...actually no the 50 bracket is not where its at...

and the op is suffering from the ID10T error someone help him work that out since obviously a lvl 14 cant correct that error