Helmet on, hood up!

HuricaneONE

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/mysteries-knights-old-republic

Why oh why can't we SW's wear our champion helmet's with the hood up like the SW in this video. Also, the sound effect on the SW's voice from that helmet is freaking awesome. Please change it back to the way it is in this video (1:16) from the boring sound effect that helmet currently produces ingame. Thanks :D

Edited by HuricaneONE

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sound-effect does it make at the moment? I am wearing the super-silly grinning-calculator-mask for it's awesome cyborg-voice

Yes, why the hell are hoods ever down in the first place?

Also, why was Revan anything short of a raid boss?

I'll bet my *** that Revan is coming back. As he left no corpse, and his whole ordeal with the emperor isn't finished. First expansion pack: REVAN Vs. EMPEROR or something along those lines.

honestly many of the SW masks would look much much better with a hood, however like it was pointed out, even Reven could not sport his hood so it must be really hard to program or something.

It wasn't hard to program, they already had it running. But they decided to remove it because of some sort of clipping issues.

But i take the clipping issues over not having it at all, anyday.

It was there in Beta hood was laways up and u could wear a helmet and hood at the same time they changed it the last second due to some cliping issues with the twilek leku/hair things or something like that

This coupled with the redicilous looking end game armour and most importantly fps issues and freezing (engine a mess) and no answer whatsoever if these will be changed is really shaping the good bye ticket slowly...

Edited by leonidaskar

That struck me pretty wierd too that out of the blue, Malgus would turn openly against the Empire and declare himself the new Emperor.

Froom wookieepedia this excerpt:

"Following the signing of the Treaty of Coruscant, which officially ended the war, Malgus distanced himself from the power games being played by various Sith vying for a seat on the Empire's governing Dark Council. Instead, Malgus led Sith forces into the Unknown Regions, expanding the Empire's control into the largely-unexplored territories. Though a fierce fighter, he stood out as an oddity among the Sith of his day, often employing mercenaries of various alien species thought by the Empire to be deceitful and disloyal. Malgus learned many languages as a result.[1] He also commissioned to the Dark Council's member Darth Mekhis a superweapon, the Emperor's Shadow."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Malgus

I think Bioware just s#hit on EU..

That struck me pretty wierd too that out of the blue, Malgus would turn openly against the Empire and declare himself the new Emperor.

"Following the signing of the Treaty of Coruscant, which officially ended the war, Malgus distanced himself from the power games being played by various Sith vying for a seat on the Empire's governing Dark Council. Instead, Malgus led Sith forces into the Unknown Regions, expanding the Empire's control into the largely-unexplored territories. Though a fierce fighter, he stood out as an oddity among the Sith of his day, often employing mercenaries of various alien species thought by the Empire to be deceitful and disloyal. Malgus learned many languages as a result.[1] He also commissioned to the Dark Council's member Darth Mekhis a superweapon, the Emperor's Shadow."

Wrong thread man..

WHY YOU CAN'T:

During beta, they found that several of the helmet models would clip through the hood if you put them on at the same time. Some helmet models looked goofier than others (Inquisitors get some silly helmets, the space pope would just stick right through the robe, or the facemask with electrodes would stick through the robe). They decided to make it one or the other so that all characters would consistently look good, regardless of what they had on.

WHAT THE FIX REQUIRES:

A) Bioware would have to go through and either flag some helmets as "okay with a hood" that don't have big clipping issues,

B) Would have to go through and re-model all helmets to fit under a hood

C) Or would have to go through and provide an alternative "under hood" model of a helmet for each helmet.

A would only help in a handful of situations (helmets that fit as is, there's just no physical way you can wear a space pope hat underneath a hood, the hat is bigger than the hood!), would require somebody to go through and flag every helmet individually in the item database (which would take a good while).

B would take a very long time, as it would require 3D artists to redo tons of assets. They're not going to do this.

C would also take a very long time as it would require 3D artists to model new assets.

So, do you see why they decided to do what they did? It isn't ideal, but everybody looks good (either helmet, OR hood, but both look right, nobody has things sticking through).

They're busy right now fixing balance bugs and performance bugs and adding new content. With all the QQing going on, they just don't have the time right now to fix this.

It does seem like a fault of the art team's direction that they didn't consider this going in. If they had planned ahead, they could have taken method A or B or C and it wouldn't have cost as much time, because they could do it as they went along. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

Hope that brings some perspective. Most of these things are more complicated than you realize. Getting angry and throwing your poop around because you're frustrated is a natural reaction but it is what monkeys do :p As a man, you should realize that life is probably more complicated, and there's probably a good reason.

Edited by miliways

WHY YOU CAN'T:

During beta, they found that several of the helmet models would clip through the hood if you put them on at the same time. Some helmet models looked goofier than others (Inquisitors get some silly helmets, the space pope would just stick right through the robe, or the facemask with electrodes would stick through the robe). They decided to make it one or the other so that all characters would consistently look good, regardless of what they had on.

Or d.) If it looks bad, you can just turn the helmet off in your own options, and give the player the ability to control this.

Instead, we had to remove features because some people were offended by other people's clipping.

I still think this was fallout from the Lekku change, and not really to do with the space pope issue.

Edited by Wraeththu

I completely understand that I can't have my pope hat showing and my hood up.

However, there are some hooded robes in game that put the hood down even if the head piece is off. This is my issue

This...

A would only help in a handful of situations (helmets that fit as is, there's just no physical way you can wear a space pope hat underneath a hood, the hat is bigger than the hood!), would require somebody to go through and flag every helmet individually in the item database (which would take a good while).
Edited by Pesh

It really wouldn't take that long to flag them in the database.

I just need them to address the fact that despite having the headpiece set to not showing, the hood is staying down.

I have a pope hat. I have it set to not show. My Traditional Nylite Vestments now have the hood up, however all my other robes still animate the hood down.

The sad thing is, they already started this exact thing but then abandoned it. Look at the sith warriors "rebreather" type headgear, or sorcerers headbands, those will still be worn when a hood is up.

From this I'd assume the kind of "switch" for that, something like allow_hoods==1 is already in place so really all it would take is for someone to go through all the headpieces and flip that switch. And to those who call that a lot of work... really? I mean it not like there are millions of sets out there, its likely a few hundred for all classes at best, a huge part of it just being color variations of the same model. All it takes is maybe one intern going through them one afternoon, I mean really, how long does it take you to decide wether it works with a hood or not?

kinda hard to do what when Bioware owns the rights to the "Old Republic" timeline, what bioware says is what the canon shal be.

WHY YOU CAN'T:

WHAT THE FIX REQUIRES:

A) Bioware would have to go through and either flag some helmets as "okay with a hood" that don't have big clipping issues,

B) Would have to go through and re-model all helmets to fit under a hood

C) Or would have to go through and provide an alternative "under hood" model of a helmet for each helmet.

B would take a very long time, as it would require 3D artists to redo tons of assets. They're not going to do this.

C would also take a very long time as it would require 3D artists to model new assets.

So, do you see why they decided to do what they did? It isn't ideal, but everybody looks good (either helmet, OR hood, but both look right, nobody has things sticking through).

They're busy right now fixing balance bugs and performance bugs and adding new content. With all the QQing going on, they just don't have the time right now to fix this.

It does seem like a fault of the art team's direction that they didn't consider this going in. If they had planned ahead, they could have taken method A or B or C and it wouldn't have cost as much time, because they could do it as they went along. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

Hope that brings some perspective. Most of these things are more complicated than you realize. Getting angry and throwing your poop around because you're frustrated is a natural reaction but it is what monkeys do :p As a man, you should realize that life is probably more complicated, and there's probably a good reason.

Then what you do is, add those lower face models to the PVP vendors so we can have our hoods. If i wanted to look like a droid i would have rolled a droid. Oh! my bad we cant roll droids. So im stuck with Warrior Jug that looks like a droid.

It really wouldn't take that long to flag them in the database.

And this is your expert opinion? As what? Have you ever worked with a database? Do you really even understand what a database is? Not condescending, most people don't, and use the term pretty loosely.

I'm a software engineer, and I've worked on developing a database for an MMORPG.

I can tell you that checking every helmet for clipping issues and then flagging it on the database would not be trivial. It would take ... I'm going to guess somewhere in the ballpark of 40-120 man-hours minimum. And that is a total guess, I haven't seen their database and I have no idea how many total item entries there are. Then you've got to do QA testing to the fix, and the time it'd take for a small cosmetic issue starts growing fast.

Talking out of your ***.